Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical voltage regulator

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bedwards, Apr 15, 2019.

1. bedwards

bedwards

'59 V8 Edsel, same as a Ford. Needed a new voltage regulator as the old one the points are pitted. Bought new Standard vr-35 from Rock Auto. Installed it this weekend with no joy. Its dead as a hammer.
    So I cleaned up the points on the old one and its charging well but the gen light glows dimly if I turn the lights on and rev the engine. My book doesn't tell me where to set the air gap so I set it similar to the new one. I don't have a way to check something with this much current but the voltages at the battery are spot on where they should be at idle and at 1500 rpm.
    Should you have to polarize a new voltage regulator? I thought that was just for the generator. I have a book but its not very clear and it cautions about polarizing Autolite and Ford differently and am not sure which method to follow.

thanks in advance

2. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

You heard it right, polarizing a generator is not required when replacing the voltage regulator.

bedwards likes this.
  3. squirrel

squirrel

If it's charging, and the voltages are ok, then I would not worry about seeing the light glowing a little when the headlights are on. There might be something with how the dash lights are working, that affects how the gen light looks.

and I would keep the original regulator, if at all possible....they knew how to make them, back then. The knowledge has been lost over time. Get a few more old ones as spares, too.

VANDENPLAS and bedwards like this.
  4. theboss20

theboss20

Back to basics...make sure your belt is tight...with engine off, push on fan blade on generator...you should not be able to slip it in the belt with medium pressure. Clean and check ALL grounds...bright and tight. Same with battery cables at the battery. Then check the light.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bedwards likes this.

5. bedwards

bedwards

Thanks for the quick answers. Its always had low battery voltage and I believe the pitted contacts were the problem. It charged right up after I cleaned the contacts and got rid of the pits.
    Like I said, the new one is dead as a hammer and I bought it Nov. of last year and never got around to putting it on. Now Rock Auto won't take it back.

6. bedwards

bedwards

You know, I didn't check the belt. It's old but has been working. I will check it and the grounds tonight. I've had ignition grounding issues before.
    The old car got used in a movie over the last couple months and have found several little things that needed attention. Tires, squeaky brakes, voltage regulator. It has ran and shifted well though. The voltage regulator didn't like extended periods of idling.

theboss20 likes this.
  7. bedwards

bedwards

It was worn out generator brushes. Would charge a while then just drift away. Weird, half the commutator looked arced. Gave up on the old regulator, bought a new one, rebuilt the generator, nothing like throwing money at one :rolleyes: Charging good now.

thanks again guys

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
    theboss20 and Truck64 like this.
  8. theboss20

theboss20

Over time the comms get out of round and the brush dust get down in the segment groves...all things that cause troubles in a generator.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk