Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical SHIPPING A PART TO LUXEMBOURG

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 51ChevPU, Apr 8, 2019.

1. 51ChevPU

51ChevPU
    from Arizona

I have a gentleman that bought a 1939 manifold from me that needs it shipped to Luxembourg. Using fed ex is an outrageous price of $ 570. Any suggestions on shipping. Anyone have any containers in the US going in the vicinity of France, Belgium, Holland or Luxembourg ? Send me at text at 480 628 3763 Thank you

2. alchemy

alchemy

When I ship to foreign countries I use the postal service. It's only trackable to our borders, but I haven't lost anything yet. (knock on wood) I've sent probably a dozen sets of taillights (small box), and many gauges (small box), and even a 60 tube axle (long box). Way cheaper than any of the private carriers, and can still buy insurance. I've sent to Australia, New Zealand, Sweden, Finland, South Africa, England, Canada, and others I can't remember off the top of my head.

3. Deuce Lover

Deuce Lover

Try,Goodies and Family.They ship 2 containers(from Murietta,CA) a month of car parts to Belgium.Just Google them.

4. USPS and your own very solid box with no movement of the manifold in the box. If it can slide around in the box it will find its way out. If its a steel manifold it will still be $$$$

5. Is that a DHL quote ? Internationally shipped, with tracking, and insurance is always helpful. I've shipped hubcaps to Germany, fenders to South Africa, and a disassembled seat to Italy, using DHL. Reasonably, tracked, and insured. Not every part of this country has immediate access to DHL .... but, if you do ....

6. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I'd say you did something wrong in your calculations unless the 39 manifold is off a giant airplane motor or something.

7. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've been sending boxes of parts to a friend in Tasmannia for several years now via Priority Maiil International. Couldn't be easier and is much, much cheaper than Fed-Ex or UPS. We've never had a shipment arrive in any more than 2-weeks and in great shape. I even screwed up his address on one shipment and their Postal people got it to him, however that was more luck on my part and I wouldn't reccommend trying it :D

8. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

U.S. Postal service.

I don't think this applies to your part, but if it will fit in a flat rate box that is the absolute least expensive way. The rules recently changed on that, though. Inside the U.S. the weight limit is 70 lbs. International is 20.

9. oldsfrench

oldsfrench
    from France

yes , goodies and family is a good way to go with ..
    they have a container every 2 weeks from california to france.
    they shipped my 324 engine and jetaway trans from california to france .
    they also will be able to ship in belgium.
    Chris , from goodies and family is a good guy...
    i paid about 1000 dollars for complete engine and trans shipping charges..( weight 594 kilos )
    i think for a manifold will be cheaper...

10. I agree with those who use the US Postal system. I also have shipped overseas, and have had good pricing, and delivery with the postal system.

11. 51ChevPU

51ChevPU
    from Arizona

It weighs about 50 lbs.

12. lucas doolin

lucas doolin

A word of caution when shipping with a carrier like UPS or Fed-Ex. International shipments are subject to Duty, Taxes and Brokerage costs which can add up really quickly. Probably not the case with USPS and a container shipper. Have your Customer check on charges he will be asked to pay BEFORE you ship. I worked 15 years for UPS in International Problem Resolution and dealt with hundreds of irate shippers who found out about Duty, Taxes and Brokerage Charges AFTER the package arrived in the destination country.

lothiandon1940 and loudbang like this.
  13. Must be steel then. Your buyer in Luxembourg could have found something in Europe . Probably did,nt know where to look or place a wanted ad .
    BTW, you guys need to go to a U.S. Post Office for the correct postage rate. Not to one of those postal agent shops that charge three times the U.S.P.S. rate and then at the end of the day they take the parcel to the post office themselves for the cheap standard rate.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
  14. Good info, I'm going to try the US Postal Service. I was trying to send a T shirt and some pictures to a friend in Germany and the UPS store wanted $95.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  15. Would be entirely dependant on the country of destination and how their postal service works. Canada Post will collect all those same fees for items that are worth their while to do so for. Small stuff they usually ignore but bigger stuff or things like clothing that have big duties in Canada they are pretty thorough with.

16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You fill out customs forms here at the post office when you send anything out of the country be it Canada or any other country. Some countries tax different on new or used items going into the country.
    What little I have sent to Europe I have sent via the post office with decent results.

17. The biggest issue with shipping companies is not the the taxes and duties, those are spelled out and are part of bringing something into the country regardless of how it arrives, it's the outrageous brokerage fees that are the scam. UPS has had to pay out a class action lawsuit (they settled of course) in regards to that in Canada recently but unfortunately all it has done is force them to tell you the fees are due and give you the option of brokering the package yourself before they show up at your door.

18. I have been shipping overseas for over 40 years now to almost any country mainly using USPS, rarely FedEx or UPS. The only country I won't ship via USPS to is India, I only ship via FedEx to there. USPS is the only way to go, it generally costs much less and you never have brokerage fees to think about. In all these years and 100's of shipments, well over a thousand, I have rarely had minor/major damage or loss. I would be surprised if my losses or damages exceeded 1/10 of 1%.
    The USPS cost to ship a 50 lb package (as long it is not oversize) to Luxembourg via Priority Mail is $189.65 (I use my free stamps.com account which costs me $180.17 to ship). This is the cost with no insurance as I never insure as it is totally not cost effective for me. It goes to say you must package extremely well or you might as well not bother to ship at all.

19. CNC-Dude

CNC-Dude

I ship internationally on a regular basis, and USPS is by far the least expensive I've found.

20. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I ship international to mostly Europe USPS Priority Mail and for the last couple years it's been the cheapest and it's been trackable to the recipient's front door. It may not work in some countries but it's worked for me so far. I just shipped a Winters V8 center section to Germany by mail and the shipping was very reasonable compared to Fed X or UPS.