Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Build help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ethan Hill, Apr 9, 2019.

1. Ethan Hill

Ethan Hill
    from Missouri

I'm ever so slowly working on a 64 impala. This is going to be the first dedicated race vehicle I have ever built. In the and I'm estimating a vehicle weight of ~2500lbs give or take. So far the car is sitting on 245/45/17s (I dont plan on changing tire or wheels size except maybe an occasional DOT race tire) with a GM 12 bolt and what I believe is a 3.08 ratio. This car is going to be used for drag racing, road courses and very rare street use with some highway miles put on occasionally for traveling to different tracks.
    My original plan is 377 high rpm high compression engine with the occasional nitrous hit.
    I am 100 percent okay with suggestions or tips, the only thing I ask is to base your suggestions and tips around my questions ex. High rpm engine please dont suggest something that makes peak power sub 6000 rpm. Thank you all in advance!
    My questions i guess are:
    1) Is the 377 worth putting in it? I'm wanting something that I can wind up to an absolute MAX RPM of 7800-800.
    2) Transmission, I'm definitely wanting a standard my question is 4-5 or 6 speed?
    3) Read ratio change?

2. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

motor unsure. auto transmission , change rear gears. my 2 cents , find another car to start with. really hard to drag with x frame . really hard to get to 2500 lbs. yes people build and race them. just me but that would last choice for drag car. road course would be tough also. a different vehicle would be easier and cheaper to do what you want. i am currently building a 64 impala also. good luck on your venture. side note any pics of car? also what part of missouri?

3. ^^^ Good advice.... You're going to have a very, very tough time getting to 2500 lbs, that's over 800 lbs less than stock. You might make it if you go with a lightweight tube frame and lots of 'glass or carbon fiber, plexi windows, etc. It won't be lo-buck by any stretch...

Also keep in mind that a drag race and road race chassis are two completely different animals.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. Let me see if I can find a fav picture.........my buddy got his 409 car going okay after a lot of work.... 62 63 409 4 Luke.jpg

VANDENPLAS and Ethan Hill like this.

5. Ethan Hill

Ethan Hill
    from Missouri

I will be putting a fiberglass front end on it and I'm thinking lexan windows. I have already put tubular control arms on it, I'll be putting coil overs on as well. I'm not really looking for low-buck I'm in school right now so its already a long term project. Just something to tinker with as I get the money. Thanks for the reply!

6. squirrel

squirrel

It sounds like you're not really sure what you want to build the car to do, but you want to build a car with some specific components, regardless how they will work for any specific application.

Looking at this as an engineering project, you are starting from the wrong end.

I suggest you figure out what the requirements are for the car, then build accordingly. If it is going to be competitive in any racing class, then you need to fully understand the rules for that class, and build the car to take advantage of them.

If you just want to build a badass 64 Impala, then I suggest you don't include any racing requirements in your goal. Just build the car with the stuff you want, and have fun. I doubt it's really on topic for this place, though. We tend towards traditional hot rods and customs. 17" wheels and 6 speeds and tubular control arms and coilovers are more like what you'd see on a modern build.

bobss396 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  7. Ethan Hill

Ethan Hill
    from Missouri

Well I'm pretty familiar with classes and building cars around them, I've been around tracks a lot working on cars and racing if my buddies with bigger wallets trust me that night! I appreciate the reply, I try not to throw a lot of questions on this board for that reason, just thought I'd check thanks!

8. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

There was a term coined many years ago referring to what you propose, something like......
    "A car without a class".
    Listen to Jim.

9. Ethan Hill

Ethan Hill
    from Missouri

I'm really not in it for class racing what-so-ever. Fortunately I have cars that I can drive set up for class racing if I wish. Just wanting to build something I can take to local test and tunes, and road courses when they open them up!

10. Keep in mind that even without a 'class', you'll still have to meet minimum safety requirements at any track you take it to... and those requirements will be affected by the level of modifications done to the car.

11. Ethan Hill

Ethan Hill
    from Missouri

Yes I know as stated above I have spent a lot of time at the track. I have a lot of friends that employee my help when they build their cars. Thank you though

12. XXL__

XXL__

You've been given some good "first steps" advice by several others already, but you seem dead set on moving past that advice. So, to address a few of your expectations/requirements from your OP--

● spinning a 377 to 7000+ rpm is going to be VERY expensive. I ASSume you're stroking a 350 (or are you destroking a 400?) Either way... too much stroke for huge revs. That's just not where that engine makes power. Also, you will have a small fortune in your valvetrain-- roller everything, super light valves, exotic springs, maybe even a shaft mount rocker setup (all of these will cost you plenty). If your design goal is high rpm, build a 283.

● Your Impala isn't just going to need a diet. It's going to need bariatric surgery. Your car is just too heavy to get to 2500# and still have doors, fenders, engine...

● Your ultra-high rpm + 6 speed (which will have 2 overdrive gears) + 3.08 rear is going to be geared for 266+ mph... something you won't have enough engine (or balls) to do.

● listen to @squirrel

fastcar1953 likes this.
  13. I saw these guys years ago show up where I raced my stock car. They had a beautiful looking car, the workmanship was top notch... but they flunked tech inspection. They used under-side tubing for the roll cage. It pays to obtain and read the rule book before you start. I never saw them again, wonder what happened to the car...