Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Mounting e&j headlights

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by koolbeans, Mar 17, 2019.

1. Tin Lizzie

Tin Lizzie
    from Ohio

Well I'm mostly with Larry on these headlights Danny as I've seen very few cars that I like them on and even sold a set recently because I just couldn't wrap my brain around ever using them because of their appearance.

Blue One likes this.
  2. RDR

RDR

some get it and some don't...might be a bit of jealousy ....

3. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Sure enough Danny, some guys just can't handle a little ribbing at all.
    I'm definitely in the medium to big headlights club myself :D
    On the love them or strongly dislike them poll for E&J headlights everyone should know where I stand. No middle ground there. :D

4. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Maybe it's the hot rod equivalent of this old saying... " Never trust anyone with beady little eyes" :D

5. You really need the smiley face with that statement! [​IMG]

What it boils down to, we all have different taste, I prefer a '32 Ford where others might prefer a '32 Chevy, we all have a voice and if we all agreed we would be nothing but sheep. HRP

Blue One likes this.
  6. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I'm not a hater but I'm not a lover either. Several years ago I sold a 32 roadster that went overseas. The roadster had a nice pair of 682's on it that were replaced by a pair of E&J's. In my world they didn't fit the theme of the car. IMHO!

Automotive Stud likes this.
  7. E & J headlights is IMO another case of rewriting traditional history. If you're building a full-on, period-correct pre-war car, they're appropriate. They actually were an improvement over the then-current OEM lights. You could probably 'cheat' them onto a build dated as late as '48, but newer than that, not so much. All that changed when sealed beams became required as OEM in 1940, and by the early '50s were required in many places, which explains all the sealed beam 'conversion kits' that showed up for early cars. The E & Js virtually disappeared on hot rods in the '50s, becoming swap meet curiosities that few people wanted other than the tiny number of guys building authentic pre-war style cars. Same thing goes for '20s-to-about-'35 OEM headlights; these pretty much disappeared also, before coming back into vogue in the late '60 with the resto-rod craze. If you searched the car mags from 1950 through 1965, I suspect you'd be hard-pressed to count enough examples of either to run out of fingers (excluding show cars).

Just Gary and koolbeans like this.
  8. I just used a set of So-Cal light mounts with the holes bored to 11/16". My reason for doing this was that the mounting bolts in the lamp housing were a bit short coming through the mount so I used a mag wheel lug nut with 11/16 diameter shanks to get full thread engagement. You will likely have to bend the mounts before final installation to get them aimed right but clamped down to a heavy work bench they will move without any heat applied. Also the lights should tuck in tight to the grill shell, many that I see are way out in the wind. ej20.jpg ej202.jpg

Stogy and koolbeans like this.
  9. koolbeans

koolbeans

Like my buddy says..."lots of keyboard cowboys out there, kickin up the dust, but the horse don't move"....oh well

Sent from my XT1710-02 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. koolbeans

koolbeans

How about the lighting, bulb, seal beam, halogen.....?

11. koolbeans

koolbeans

Tolerance my friend. Sometimes good is just hiding around the next bend or comment.
    I appreciate your input.
    One last request...could I buy the 9908's from you? Poked around looking but no success.

12. koolbeans

koolbeans

Poked around. No home run. Would like to get these up and running.

13. I bought them already converted with an H4 setup, but I think the other methods would work better because the bulb depth was done wrong and they arent much better than the original output. I've never disassembled them either so I have no pictures of the setup

14. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They're not a required taste where I live, and I'm quite content with that.

Blue One and Atwater Mike like this.
  15. oldbanger71

oldbanger71

I have fitted the last two days the RE&J's on my roadster, the lightstands are located just next to the radiator by the three rivets, most difficult because the front crossmember meets the rails there, but managed it finaly. Fitteld also the Kellerman indicators with a tubebracket just under the light. Wired the lights today pic's as promised : Hoockup diagram and removed original socket without damaging, milled a T-Tube ( material is POM ) to fix the cable in the housing and locking at the same time the cable in the T-Tube ( should resemble original plugs ) The lights are 9908 from JP Cycles.

Attached Files:

16. koolbeans

koolbeans

17. 117harv

117harv

Some members need to RE-read the first post....

18. koolbeans

koolbeans

And....?

19. 117harv

117harv

20. koolbeans

koolbeans

Yes....you are spot on. We now live in the age of keyboard cowboys who take great acclaim at speaking from their moldy armchair.

21. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Look into a set of headlight/shock mounts from Pete and Jakes.
    SPark

Rot3.png PJ14.jpg PJ15.jpg PJ16.jpg

22. koolbeans

koolbeans

23. 3banjos

3banjos
    from NZ

Nah, that'll set them too close to the ground where any squirrel will mistake them for an acorn.

24. oldbanger71

oldbanger71

I'm not sure if shockmounts are a good combination with headlight, since shock and vibrations are shortening the live of bulbs significantly.
    Apart of that i think they're to low, for good light and the glas is very vulnerable to stones, that might be kicked up by cars in front. Just my two cents.

25. koolbeans

koolbeans

Interesting. The whole I beam axle suspension certainly increases the shock / impact to every thing at the front. They are not the smoothest comfy ride. I assume you are referring to the halogen bulb failing. They tend to be fragil. But in my 29 highboy and 34 sedan I had halogen conversions with no issue. Have to wait and see in service.

26. oldbanger71

oldbanger71

Aslong the bulbsocket and bulb sit tight in the reflector , there should be no trouble. I will be interested in longterme view.

koolbeans likes this.
  27. koolbeans

koolbeans

You have been very helpful and if I can reciprocate by finding something here I will be glad to do such.
    I've mocked up the e&J's per you guidance and I think they're going to work out well.
    Opin still out on mounting. Lots of input. Will send pics when I head down that path.

28. koolbeans

koolbeans

Howdy. Hope y'all doing well with the world virous disruption.
    Been moving along slow here with several hurdles tripping the program
    Some pics attached.
    I thought of you because I went to j&p cycles to find some turn signal lights for the front.
    I bought two Kellermann lights. They are really kool. First they are tiny. About size of a pencil eraser. I thought oh no.
    I hooked them up to a battery and oh my God I was instantly blinded. Incredibly bright for such a tiny light
    And easy to hide.
    Later... IMG_20200427_150056582.jpeg IMG_20200427_110518770.jpeg IMG_20200425_141218846.jpeg IMG_20200430_135210650.jpeg last-hurrah-Final-proof.jpeg IMG_20180908_121328143_HDR.jpeg

Last edited: May 1, 2020
  29. You are not alone sir.

Blue One and 51 mercules like this.