Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Installing a backup light switch on aftermarket floor shift

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 62rebel, Apr 2, 2019.

1. 62rebel

62rebel

I'd like to give folks walking behind the Galaxie the heads up if I'm BACKING up... the PO installed a Daytona brand floor shift onto the Ford three speed behind the 289. There's a perfectly good switch in the shift levers on the bottom of the column. Ideas? I considered putting a horn push on the firewall to operate it with my foot.....

2. squirrel

squirrel

or figure out how to mount a bracket for the switch onto the transmission, so the shift lever contacts it when you shift.

Either way will work

3. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Yes a switch that engages with the lever would be the best so you would not have to think about it. Since you must have a good memory since you thought about a foot switch , you could wire the backup lights to an on/off toggle switch on the dash . You could also install a backup alarm if you really want to get their attention .:D:oops:

Texas Webb and 62rebel like this.
  4. 4 pedals and 2 feet to backup

54vicky and 62rebel like this.

5. 62rebel

62rebel

There might even be a kit to do it.... gonna go hunting for wabbits

6. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You could run a cable form the trans lever to the column and hook up the reverse lights and neutral safety switch.

7. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

You could use one of those brake light switches that has the bendable arm on it. A simple bracket to hold the switch, the arm gets moved by the shift lever on the transmission.

loudbang, Boneyard51 and Yamagrant like this.
  8. 62rebel

62rebel

Man, I hope that the shifter I have is bullet proof. It must be almost as old as the car! And, apparently, nobody but Hurst made it easy to put switches on their stuff. Well, if it was all simple and easy, it wouldn't be any fun.

9. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Lokar make a kit for their shifters. Uses a simple ball switch and a lever to activate it.

I picked up the same ball switch from an eBay seller, cheaper than any other source I found for it, and used it with my own bracket. Maybe something similar would work for you.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

Lokar has a linkage mounted switch that can work as a neutral safety switch or a back up light switch. If you're handy it wouldn't be too hard to replicate.

nsswitch.JPG

loudbang likes this.
  11. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

That’s the one. The switch is a Pollak 21-435P. Google for it, and check prices. I see $15 now. Paid $11 in June on eBay, with free shipping.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Black_Sheep likes this.
  12. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

They make an old lever operatered brakelight switch, I think was original equipment on old Chevy trucks, that is easy to adapt to do many things, may have to run it through a relay to get it to do what you want it to do.

Bones

13. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Have you looked for an OEM switch for the trans you are using? Floor shifted C4's and C6's have them mounted to the transmission.

14. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

I used a brake light switch from a Triumph motorcycle. It was operated by a spring. Just attach it to the 1-R shift lever either on the transmission or shifter.

Black_Sheep likes this.