Register now to get rid of these ads!

Honest question about HAMB

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by Casey Riley, Apr 1, 2019.

1. Casey Riley

Casey Riley
    from Minnesota

How is it possible for HAMB to have so much Spam infiltration? It's unreal how many spam posts we get here. I am a member on 8 unrelated forums (guns, cigars, classic cars, home improvement, technology), and the Jalopy Journal is the only one that has Spam postings multiple times EVERY SINGLE DAY.
    Just an honest question, because I do think that it is unacceptable to have this much spam infiltration. It concerns me to see this lack of security.

Very respectfully
    -Casey

2. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

It's possible because the HAMB is one of the largest CAR websites on the net with hundreds of thousands of hits daily.

Actually Casey If you only knew how many SPAM attacks actually happen - it would boggle your mind.
    The security stops thousands and thousands if not Tens of thousands of SPAM attempts - daily.
    Most you don't ever see.
    What slips through is only a very SMALL fraction of what actually is sent.
    Trust me - Security wall stops a insane amount plus Mods ZAP Spammers EVRY SINGLE DAY.

Moriarity likes this.
  3. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

It's all about traffic and age of the site. Our domain is over 20 years old and gets 45 million pageviews per month. As such, we have a very high google rating... and because of that rating, we are really desirable to spammers. And yeah, that sucks.

lothiandon1940, Casey Riley and XXL__ like this.
  4. the spam that I do see is made by posters who have actually registered, created a screen name and spammed.

Casey Riley likes this.

5. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That can be automated.

6. One thing that helps to delete any spam that does get through is we as members have the ability to REPORT , simply click and that alerts the moderators, they take car of it pronto. HRP

harpo1313 and ALW like this.
  7. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

It needs to be made harder for Spammers to join the HAMB. A simple question like after what year does the forum not accept vehicles?

The DLRA (Dry Lake Racers Aust) forum made it harder for spammers to join.

Casey Riley likes this.
  8. Even a 7 to 14 day new member "probation" period before being allowed to post to the forums seems like it might be a detriment to some of the spam postings. But maybe that could be automated around as well.

Just part of the price of success, I suppose. Be careful what you wish for.

9. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

A lot of Spamming is automated - sending millions and billions of SPAM daily.
    Companies and People who Spam have automated programs beyond your imagination.
    Huge business and scams.

10. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

Report button works for me , and the reports ive sent usually blasts the thread pretty quickly. Im a good snitch lol