Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Rochester 1B carb on 235 leak

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Maxwise, Mar 30, 2019.

1. Maxwise

Maxwise

Trying to get my 55 up and running again. After cleaning out the fuel tank, purging the fuel lines and clearing out the carb it was ready to start.
    Once we started to the engine over, fuel was coming out of the throttle throat. Specifically out of that silver cylindrical port? Or rivet? I can’t find a description of it or for some interim repair. Any help or words of wisdom will do? Thanks,

-max-

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

3. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

i am assuming six cylinder engine. if v8 still most likely the problem just different carb. tell us what the vehicle is and engine if you need advice. makes things a lot easier. welcome to the hamb

4. Maxwise

Maxwise

235 inline six on a 55 Chevy pickup. 3100 series

5. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

should have a rochester bc carb i think. does it leak near the bottom?

6. Maxwise

Maxwise

Leaks at that port. Not where the carb meets the the throttle throat

7. Maxwise

Maxwise

Looks like the throttle bearing for the throat. So if I recall if it leaks there then there is too much fuel in the carb? Any advice will help.

8. KenC

KenC

I think your describing a leak from the end of the throttle shaft. A pic would help as your terms are not familiar to me. If that is where it is coming from it is due to the float not sealing and overflowing gas into the throat. Either dirt, bad needle/seat or float misadjusted or stuck.

Maxwise likes this.
  9. Maxwise

Maxwise

10. Maxwise

Maxwise

11. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

12. Heavy Old Steel

Heavy Old Steel

Mine did the same thing, the bowl cover (#2 in above diagram) was warped and leaked fuel down the throttle bore when engine was running and when I shut it off it would continue to leak a little and travel along the throttle shaft and out the ends. I could never get the cover to stop leaking.

13. Maxwise

Maxwise

Did you fix it or chalk it up as normal ops?

14. The throttle shaft rotates, so sealing it might not be good. With it running look down the throat, is it spraying with throttle action, just idling is it dripping or misting. The lids warp on those, I went with a Carter YF on my 261.

15. Heavy Old Steel

Heavy Old Steel

16. These carbs are notoriously bad for warping the upper part of the casting and not sealing.

There are threads here on the Hamb where guys have heated the casting 1/2’s up in the oven to some degree of success in getting them to seal again.

If you look at any 216/235/261 that uses a Rochester b carb, most are weepy, not all. But it’s a common issue.

I would not feel comfortable having a crab leak fuel over a hot engine and exhaust manifold.

Rebuilt units are still available through nappa etc. Last time I looked it was around $200 buck with a core to exchange.