Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Shop Safety

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by deathrowdave, Mar 6, 2019.

1. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D When I use a grinder,I have my shatter resistant glasses,safety glasses and a full face shield on.Not over kill at all.As I only have one good eye.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

osage orange, Stogy and Black_Sheep like this.
  2. Gman0046

Gman0046

An important safety tip is use hearing protection when necessary. Spent my entire career in the aviation industry and could have done a better job of protecting my ears. Paying for it now.

3. gsnort

gsnort
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am thankful what all you HAMB'rs wrote. I shall be more mindful of: "Safety First." Thanks again.

Stogy likes this.
  4. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

Working 30 years in a truck shop using air chisels, air impact wrenches, air tools, bucking rivets and diesel engine noise left me with constant ringing in my ears. A love for open headers, shooting and loud music may have also played a part.

The importance of hearing protection can't be overstated.

5. Wrench666

Wrench666

Sorry to be a dick, but I really wish that ppl would stop using Pitbull as a reference for things like that. Shit they are some of the greatest dogs I've ever had. Had 3 so far and never so much as a nip on anyone.
    75lb lap dogs. Anyway love this site and the knowledge it gives to us guys starting out. As I said not being a dick just bugs me when ppl use them as a reference to things like that. A bear wolf gator all would get the msg across, and better
    Thanks
    Andrew

6. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

7. Wrench666

Wrench666

Well there are studies showing German Shepard's or Doberman's at the top and some with others at the top.
    I will agree with pitbulls when they bite its usually bad because of their power, but they are not as bad as the haters would have you think. Anyway this isn't a discussion for here.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  8. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well @deathrowdave I have 'Liked' most of the posts. That by no means is a happy thing but an acknowledgement that I have read them. Terrible outcomes in many of these stories.

Thoughts go out to your friend and anyone else suffering from an injury in the shop or garage.

Heres something that may prevent a severe injury...

If your using a band saw and cutting thin material and the protective disc with a slot for the blade is huge or the disc is missing...cut in a thick enough sheet of scrap to prevent your thin material folding while cutting and pulling your fingers or worse your hand into the blade.

I had my finger pulled into the blade on a T-Jaw 500 band saw but it cut in close to the bone but I was able to pull my hand away from the folded metal that dragged my finger in avoiding more serious injury...it was at work and a safety bulletin was issued.

These threads are great reminders to consider at all times safety...

jazz1 likes this.
  9. Blood and Guts, where to start. Gloves on and safety glasses.(1975) On an inline post lift I was breaking loose a tie rod end with the proper tool and hammer and missed....I hit my hand so hard it split open the "heel" opposite the thumb like an orange, muscles and tendons were exposed......
    Gloves on and safety glasses. (1991) I was adjusting the cutter blades on a branch chipper. I had to roll the drum an 1/8th turn to align the next blade. Grabbed the belts and pulled a little, it grabbed my glove and pulled it around the pulley under the belt. The blood kept pouring out of my glove.......They were able to reattach the tip of my pinky.
    No gloves or safety glasses. (1993)The dually I was driving decided to quit on a busy street. (turned later out to be a fuel pump) I got out of the truck to check it out and a semi was coming so I leaned against the side of the truck.......The force of the air from the semi slammed the partially open door and caught my left index finger in the door jam.......I stuck a rubber glove on to keep the tip from falling off, Never went for stitches, It healed better than the pinky that was sewn on.....
    (best one) Gloves and safety glasses, I had just finished building a rough cabinet for work and was grinding off the ends of the screws when the grinder got caught between two screws and jumped up, cutting into my glove on my right index finger......what looked like a clean cut did not bleed much and went back to work.....next morning WOW, I woke up to have a hand the size of a baseball mitt. (seriously)....In the emergency room the first doctor looked at it and told everyone to leave the room. They wheeled me into a sterile room...I had the isolation tent.....MRSA, they told me...Ok, now what?...a somber doctor told me they might have to take off my hand or arm....I told him to see if he can save some of the hand......well, he had placed a call to a specialized doc that was working on using LASERs...a new way to operate......fixed it right up by slicing off the side of the knuckle bone.....full use now.......
    What about the time a big blob of aluminum weld fell down inside of my boot...melted the skin down to the bone, sill have a 1/2 dollar size scar.......
    Or the time standing in line in a parts store and an old man drove though the front doors. It pinned me against the part shelves and split the tendons on my right ankle. Arthroscopic surgery and 6 months of therapy later, I don't feel anything unless the weather changes........
    Ask me about my right lung......

10. spanners

spanners

And I bet your mates call you 'Lucky'.

Jet96 and Unique Rustorations like this.
  11. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Note to self:
    Clean puke off keyboard........again!

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  12. I know a guy that was working as an electrician, he was on the small side maybe 120 lbs soaking wet. He was using a big drill on something and it caught, tossed him like a rag doll... came as close as you can to tearing both hands off at the wrists. He never worked again and is in constant pain as a result.

13. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I was drilling 3/4 inch holes in heavy steel to mount a rather large winch on my truck. The bit broke through, the hole was a little too close to the uprights and locked. I had inadvertently pushed the trigger lock and that Black and Decker 1/2 inch drill motor with that bit with three groves in it had no quit in it! I slammed my hand up against that winch hard, luckily that bit then split. But it looked like I had a boxing glove on for a few days, nothing broken, but quite painful.

Bones

osage orange likes this.
  14. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

I have a cheap Harbor Freight 1/2" hammer drill/regular drill that I use for drilling large holes - it just stalls when overloaded.

I once bought a 1" Craftsman drill (looked to be from the 1950's) for $10 at a yard sale. The ON/OFF switch was a toggle switch. It worked, but, I never dared use it. Eventually gave it away to somebody much bigger than I.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  15. Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm a woodworker. Notice my shop hooks? They're all like that. I look at them all day everyday (except when machines are running). A LOT of my compadres can't count to 10 w/o using toes. SHIT! Now I jinxed myself. And I hear ya about puke on the keypad! IMG_2795.JPG

16. Chief 64

Chief 64

Thanks to all who posted. And prayers for the friend who was hurt in post 1. The safety reminder is well appreciated!
    I never stop trying to learn or read new things about safety. I welded for years before I learned it’s a huge NO NO to clean parts with brake cleaner prior to welding. Because of our hobby with cars, parts are often oily & greasy and need to be cleaned prior to welding. Brake cleaner is usually in our shops so it would seem natural to clean the part with it... but don’t !!!!! The fumes from the brake cleaner during welding are very bad for you!!!

gas & guns likes this.
  17. bschwoeble

bschwoeble

4 year apprenticeship at Westinghouse Electric. One of the first things we were told, short sleeves, no gloves and wear safety glasses. That was 51 years ago this month, still the same today.

18. gas & guns

gas & guns

Sorry to hear about your friend. I wish for him the best recovery possible.

My great uncle used to say, learn from other people's mistakes, because you will never live long enough to make them all.
    As a young man I would think to myself, "Yup, there is a lot of mistakes out there. It will take a long time to make em all."
    Now that I'm older, I've lived through a few and realize some will kill you and you are never going to get a chance to make another.
    Accidents don't take vacations. Be safe.

19. The older I get, I add another note of caution: Don't work when tired. Pushing yourself to just "finish up what I started" when you know you are out of energy can put you in a world of hurt.

20. The hurrieder you go
    The further behind you get.

21. RidgeRunner

RidgeRunner
    from Western MA

Great advice!

Went there and did that big time over 35 years ago. I've caught myself on the way to returning many times since. Fortunately having been smartened up I've backed off and waited for another day before pushing too hard.

Ed