Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical correcting model a rear width with deeper backspace wheels?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cobra5laddict, Mar 28, 2019.

1. cobra5laddict

cobra5laddict
    from denver

My 28 roadster highboy has a 37 banjo rear and its obviously wider than the original A banjo. From what i have read the banjo is about 2" wider than stock A rear. I prefer the look of having the wheels tucked closer to the body. I have a set of 16x4 early ford originals, my thought was to find a wheel shop to re-center my wheels with a 5-5.5" rim width and finish up with a 3.75" backspace to get back the 1" increase in diff width on both sides. Finding a Wheel shop is proven to be difficult.

These have a 3.5" backspace so that gets me 3/4" each side narrower or 1.5" total of the 2" i would need to get looking closer to stock width.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedway-Vintage-16x6-Steel-Wheels-5-on-5-5-3-5-Inch-BS,283810.html

Has anybody tried out these new steel wheels from speedway? From what i gather they replicate the look of early wheels but are available in a slightly wider width.

I plan to either run smooth caps or no caps. with either a 7.5 or 7.0 / 16 bias tire on these.

2. rusty valley

rusty valley

your model A came with 4 inch wide tires. i would guess if you want big n littles on your car, you will want that inch per side

gnichols likes this.
  3. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I had a similar problem about 10 years ago and I got wheels to suit from a guy who was on the HAMB called Jason from Bear Metal Kustoms in CA.

http://www.bearmetalkustoms.com/services.html

http://www.bearmetalkustoms.com/contact.html

I am not sure if he still does wheels.

He is a great guy and does really nice work and I found his prices to be more than reasonable.
    I have visited his shop on several occasions when I have been in the area and always have been more than impressed with the quality of his work.

4. I purchased a set of these, they came in Wheelsmith boxes, mine needed caps as the chrome was very disappointing in this area , looks like silver paint...the rest of the chroming looked fine...

5. cobra5laddict

cobra5laddict
    from denver

Kadillackid

what size did you go with? 6" wide or narrower? i'm curious about the backspacing.. the website says 3.5 but is that to the bead of tip of the lip?

6. 3banjos

3banjos
    from NZ

$30 more for chrome. I'd be a little dubious about how long before they start going rusty.

54vicky likes this.
  7. cobra5laddict

cobra5laddict
    from denver

I went direct to wheelworks. They can do an offset up to 4" on the 6" width wheel. Im hoping that will dial in the track width on the rear.

8. rustythumb

rustythumb

'41 merc. & some '49-'64 pick up wheels are 16" x 5" with 3.75 backspace. [ they all take the same hub cap.]

9. Yes, 6 inch, 3.5" to the tip of the lip...
    Wheel 3.5.jpg