Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Frame concerns?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Chaka, Mar 27, 2019.

?
  1. yes, it seems like a decent car

75.0%
  2. maybe, it will need some modifications

18.8%
  3. No, it's a death machine

6.3%
  1. Chaka

Chaka

Hello, I've been attempting to learn from the vast experience you all share. I have been shopping for a mostly finished project that I can tinker on and adjust as needed while I enjoy it. My search started looking for a 36'-38' chevy gasser coupe when I stumbled upon this (https://www.grautogallery.com/vehicles/7092/1931-ford-model-a). Not a gasser, but I really like the styling choices and clean build. I have contacted the seller and they seem to agree the frame is stock. If it is stock, should I pass on this? Anyone have any advice on this or opinions on the frame reliability? This vehicle is two states away and I am hesitant to even inspect the car if the frame is poorly thought out. Thank you in advance for any assistance you can provide.

2. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Dino 64 likes this.
  3. 19Fordy

19Fordy

The only way to know is to go take a look at it in person. Looks like a nice hot rod.
    Definitely not stock.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Not stock but what's it matter? You going to turn it into a race car?

5. [​IMG]
    Someone did a hell of a lot of work to the car.
    $32,000 is a lot of money. Not saying that's too much.
    [​IMG]
    Looks like a nice build.

6. Chaka

Chaka

My bad....not stock, but I don't see any significant signs of boxing or reinforcement. The "advice" I've read seems to suggest these frames aren't adequate without additional support. I guess I'm looking for opinions on what issues I can expect? Thanks

chevy57dude likes this.
  7. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Nothing looks poorly thought out to me.
    Looks like a nice car.

8. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I see some sound design there, but an 'in the flesh' inspection would be my recommendation.
    For that kind of $$, I'd want to be 'sure'.
    If it does indeed have a Model A frame, inspect it visually, but have a knowledgeable person along. The design of cross members, welded-on accessories (mounts, etc.)
    I see the engine and quick change rear, and a dropped axle up front.
    But...Pictures can be deceiving, and usually are.

KoolKat-57 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  9. The37Kid

The37Kid

Very few people start off in this hobby with a car that nice. If that one scares you, then you need to follow the average HAMB build from the day it gets dragged home. Bob

Blue One likes this.
  10. I think what they are trying to tell you is that it's on a Model a frame (albeit modified) and not on a '32 frame. You need to ask the appropriate questions of the seller, like is it boxed, what sort of cross-members, suspension etc.

patmanta, Dino 64 and chevy57dude like this.
  11. oldolds

oldolds

I really dislike dealers that sell specialty cars and then use a standard used car fill in the blanks form to describe the car. They say nothing about the car. That being said they have plenty of nice pics. It looks like a well thought out car. As said above, you need to look at the car. The price should buy a nice car. You need to touch it to know it is worth that money. You also need to see if you can fit in it. Chopped Model A's get tight quick.

12. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you look closely, you can see fuel or brake lines clamped to the inside of the frame rail, which proves the frame is a full rectangle rather than just a "C."

You never know until you see it in person, but that looks like a very well thought out and built car. Pretty cool too, I don't think I would change a thing, except the Chevvie engine, but that's just me.

-Abone.

13. .............Looks like it's boxed to me. Are you sure you're not just seeing the frame horns in the front? Perhaps an after market or shop-built Model A "style" frame. Car appears to be well thought out and if it is something you like, you still (as others) have mentioned, need to see it in person.

14. Chaka

Chaka

The sales guy I spoke with did not have any build info, but that the frame "seemed to be a model a frame with no boxing". It is frustrating they can't provide more details, but they appeared more focused on movin' inventory. I'm 50 years old, an electrician with a lifetime of mechanical experience that needs a hobby because my kids don't think I'm cool anymore...toy time:D

clunker likes this.
  15. See it and most importantly Drive It. That will tell you a lot. For that kind of money; if you don’t have experience with Model A hot rods it would be a good idea to take someone with you who does. Good Luck.

16. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

It looks to be a well thought out and executed build, are there build photos to show exactly what was done and how?
    Personally I'd prefer to see a K-member to take that torsional twist out of the frame as well as an engine tube, mandatory where I reside. Frame looks to be boxed in photos apart from the front horns, at least that's a start.
    Personally inspection is highly recommend and if you're not comfortable undertaking that don't take someone's word at face value, especially an auto dealer who is only interested in turning over stock to whoever. Is there any warranty or is it 'As is, where is', does your state require a safety inspection as you might establish that standards could be different from state to state. If it's your first car and you're not confident that you posses the necessary mechanically or technically expertise I'd suggest arranging a thorough inspection by someone qualified in that area and get a written report. I wonder how comfortable the seller would be if you insisted on this inspection at your expense? If it meets your expectations buy it to enjoy. What about a test drive? Hopefully it'll be reliable and fun once in your ownership.

lothiandon1940 and Dino 64 like this.
  17. Fordors

Fordors

The frame looks like it could be a rectangular tube reproduction that could have had stock frame horns used on the front. Look at the body mounts, I’ll call them struts. Being welded to the bottom of the frame rails there is no way they could support the body with any integrity if the frame wasn’t tube or at least boxed. It does look like a nice car but as others have said it needs a through look see. The one thing I did notice is it looks like the master cylinder is mounted on a bit of an angle. If that is the case when the brake pedal is pushed the pushrod is not pushing squarely on the piston and the rubber cups can wear prematurely.

18. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

For that much, you would think they could put on a new oil pan
    Really nice, looks channeled but it doesn’t look chopped to me .

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  19. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Looks like a good build.
    I wouldn't expect much info from a seller who doesn't know the difference between BREAKS and BRAKES!
    Just my $.02, KK

Jibs and mgtstumpy like this.
  20. The37Kid

The37Kid

Were is the $32,900. value in this? Interior would cost $200.00 after you bought the faux aircraft seats. Maybe it is inside the SBC? Bob

patmanta likes this.
  21. Chaka

Chaka

You guys treat a newbie pretty well...I can't see the frame well enough verify the box, but I do agree some of the plumbing seems to be mounted on something on the inside? The passenger side rear jam might show signs of rusting at the bottom and I expect minor repairs for the rest of it's life, but for the price, the frame needs to be reliable. Thanks for your opinions and keep them comin.

Nicholas Coe and INVISIBLEKID like this.
  22. wvenfield

wvenfield

Whether or not the price is fair or not, if I was going to spend that kind of money I would want it to be with someone that could answer my questions.

23. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

‘Dealers’ spur lots of opinions, often negatively, but one needs to consider what purpose they serve and the limitations thereof.

I see quite a few dealer ads on line for interesting cars and almost always, they contain errors and are frequently incomplete. These guys usually are business oriented, selling hot rods, rather than hot rodders selling cars. My point is, as in most market transactions, the burden of determining the suitability and condition of the item rests with the buyer.

As has been said in above posts, go see the car, take a knowledgeable person with you, and make your own judgement first hand.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
  24. Hombre

Hombre

Chaka, Man you need to take a deep breath and give this some thought. Nothing in the world wrong with a Model A frame--NOTHING. "If it is built right" A hell of a lot of Hot Rods have been built on that frame. This frame to "ME" does look like it is boxed to some extent, certainly not a full frame box, that can be a good thing too by the way. Also the car looks like a pretty nice build. But that price seems awfully high for what that car appears to be. The one thing you do need to do is look at in person. I personally do not like going thru those brokers, and would never do that no matter the car.

Also man just take a look in the HAMB classifieds, I see quite a few cars in there for a hell of a lot less money, probably more realistic money too. You need to pick a car you will be happy with, so what are you really looking for? if it does not happen to have to be an open wheeled car there are plenty of very cool cruisers in the ads right now. There are also a bunch of open wheeled cars for half or less of the price of that little A bone you are looking at. My friend Danny ( HotRodprimer is his handle) has a real deal on a shoebox ford for less that a third of the price of that Model A and it is at least as good of a car, AT LEAST!

There also is a all steel Duece roadster in the ads for right at the same money. I don't know how many Model A and 33 and 34 Ford pick-ups are on there. The HAMB classified should be the first place you look if you don't mind me giving you advice you didn't ask for. Also no matter were the car is in all probability there is a HAMB member close enough to go and take a look at the car for you before you make the trip. I know I have done that several times myself and am always glad to help in that way. Most guys on here are.

Good luck on your hunt, hell the hunt can be at least half of the fun...

25. Sweet & Low

Sweet & Low

LOL. I confess I had to get the magnifying glass out to take a good look at the frame and it surely is boxed.
    looking at the bottom it's no GNRS contestant but it is a pretty clean basic hot rod. Take a little time and study the pic's and write down any questions you may have when you see it in person.
    But PLEASE Never Buy a Car you haven't looked at in person. I have heard some real heart breaker stories about guy that depended on pictures.

26. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Checking the map it's about 670 miles for you from home base to Detroit and that 10-1/2 hours each way might be well spent on an overnight road trip to actually see the car.
    If you have a knowledgeable and a bit picky hot rod buddy that's up to a road trip I'd suggest taking him along or meeting up with a knowledgeable Hamber from the Detroit area. Hotrodladycrusr doesn't post much on here anymore but she knows who's who in the Detroit are hot rod wise and maybe one of her buds will see this and see if she can suggest a side man or woman to go along to look the car over. You want the person who can look at it objectively and maybe a bit critical rather than the guy like my buddy who looks at hot rods though rose colored glasses and misses the bad things.
    On the other hand it looks like there are round trip flights that end up being under 200 and that might be a good investment.
    All that said, I don't see anything obvious that is a big NO. that has the makings of a well thought out little hot rod but you had damn well better see if you can fit in it and drive it before laying down the coin. I'm pretty sure it it is on consignement so if you have the long green to lay down or arranged financing to buy it outright without trying to get it financed you might be able to get some knocked off that price.

lothiandon1940 and Hnstray like this.
  27. primed34

primed34

Nice little coupe but if you are over 5' 6" tall it's gonna be tight inside it.

The37Kid likes this.
  28. `Dealers=profit of trade in's/consignments............ That's why they are in biz...... Nice= sure. DIY =Sure. Years/coin/tools/know how................. Don't bust the OP's ball's......... Some here CAN, and HAVE done....
    The rest of you should just STFU.......... Do it yourselves, or keep your mouth shut...... Like you know everything, and can do it all. Give the guy who's asking sound advise, and NOT what you think he /how he should spend his coin, or live life with decisions........ Sometimes, some here are just full of shit!
    And, I'm all for seeing things in person...... OP's call, not the rest of us to tell him....
    leading you to water........If you drink=up to you....

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  29. CAHotRodBoy

CAHotRodBoy

Like others have said, go see the car and more importantly, drive it! It looks like a nice car but I have seen many cars that look good but drive like crap! Also, just my opinion but $32K is way too much for that car.

Is a Model A coupe the car you want or did you just see this ad and think it was cool? What other cars have you looked at. Go to some local car shows and look around at what's out there. You may find something else better suited for your needs. Or another A coupe for way less money.

30. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Just for comparison go to Ebay and do a search for "Hot Rod"