Register now to get rid of these ads!

1949 Ford F1 Hood Hinge Adjustment!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1949 Ford F1, May 3, 2011.

1. I have a 1949 Ford F1 and I can't get the hood to lay down "flat", i.e., in line with the cowling. When the hood is pulled down, the hinge springs don't pull the back ot the hood down all the way. It remainds up about a quarter inch. It can be pushed down, but it won't go down naturally by itself. I've tried all the adjustments I can find and can't get it to perfectly align. I'm at the point of removing the springs and using a prop on the hood.

Any thoughts???

2. Mudslinger

Mudslinger

I have had three F1 trucks, they all were like this.

3. What Mudslinger said

4. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Better get used to it...

5. ironpile

ironpile

The 3 mounting holes in the side of the cowl are oversized,enlarge them some if necessary.

6. mixmaster-meat-wad

mixmaster-meat-wad

@ironpile- My F1 is all apart ATM so i guess i dont see what your getting at. If this problem arises your saying to enlarge the holes on the cowl of the cab? What about slotting the holes downward?

7. gulliver22

gulliver22

You can adjust the hood mounts where the mount to the cab inside the cab, the holes are oversized. As ironpile mentioned, you can enlarge them even larger if necessary. If your hinges have slop in them (worn pivot points), best to replace them first.

8. Mine worked fine. Took the hood off to swap the motor, put the hood back on in seemingly the exact same place...now I have the same problem. o_O

9. ironrodder

ironrodder

Have the same problem with my '48

10. every time I adjust one of those trucks, I move the hinge the wrong way. moving the hinge opposite to the way it seems to need to go solves the problem. the hinge needs to be rotated forward to get the back down. if I remember right.

GreenMonster48 likes this.