Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods cheap gloves that can take epoxy primer and laquer thinner ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rusty valley, Mar 25, 2019.

1. rusty valley

rusty valley

perhaps a bit anal, but i'd like to take a sponge and dip it in primer and hand spread some epoxy primer in places the spray gun wont get. i've got new door skins, and some new steel structure in a 34 coupe that is already starting to rust after one year in the shop, so i've scuffed it all down best i can, and treated with ospho, now is there a brand of generic gloves at the store to buy, or do i need some fancy stuff that will not melt on my hands while doing this job? thanks, skip

2. hoodwinx454

hoodwinx454

Try dish washing gloves there thicker then the doc type gloves.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. I doubt the sponge will hold up.
    what someone should invent is a wooden handled tool, with bristles attached on one end, that can be dipped into the paint and used to spread the paint.

BLUSHU, blowby, squirrel and 11 others like this.
  4. shivasdad

shivasdad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

We use Tiger Grip orange gloves from Amazon. They're a bit tougher than normal gloves and 18 bucks for a box. The above suggestion for dishwashing gloves might be better for your situation because they have longer cuffs for your wrists.

5. rudestude

rudestude

I have one of them, actually several, wooden handled things.. I even have some that have plastic handles with a sponge on the end of it...I just dipped it in lacquer thinner and it swelled up but did not come apart..also a friend just give me some rubber gloves that are for doing body work ,they are resistant to paints and thinners also there are chemical resistant gloves that go to your elbows I think harbor freight has them among other places and if you need them to go all the way to your arm pits they have that type at farm supply places ,there for checking if a cow is pregnant, don't know if they are chemical resistant though... 1553605599829~2.jpeg 1553605634286.jpeg

Sent from my SM-T387V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. rusty valley

rusty valley

well dang it, now you guys make me feel silly. i actually have some of those wood handled things, i use them to clean my paint gun so i dont have to put my hand in the thinner. thats why i dont know of a brand of glove that will not melt. in this case, to get around the back side of braces and such i thought the human fingers would be the best tool. i'll try some dish washing gloves. thanks