Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 30 Ford coupe build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fitnessguy, Oct 18, 2015.

1. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Moving to the dry air of Arizona eh. Sounds exciting! Big city life or some small town full of rusty gold? ha ha

31chevymike and loudbang like this.
  2. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Something like that. How much longer are your winter days? We'd all dig a video in the future of your Model A cruisin' down the streets!

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  3. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Winters over now!! Been in the high 60’s here this week so spring is here! Yes there will be videos cruisin soon!!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

31chevymike, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  4. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Built my new nerf bar. Same design just went to 1” diameter. Definitely fits the car better. No chrome for now, just a coat of clear.
    IMG_8102.JPG IMG_8103.JPG

5. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Shop cleanup day.
    IMG_8128.JPG

BigO, kidcampbell71, woodz and 8 others like this.
  6. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Rear stance is simply awesome Fitness! Glad to hear your winters do not run long, the cruisin' season for you is just about there.

Fitnessguy and loudbang like this.
  7. loudbang

loudbang

New design Nerf bar looks like it belongs there :)

31chevymike and Fitnessguy like this.
  8. patman

patman

Only thing missing is the license plate...

Stogy, 31chevymike and loudbang like this.
  9. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Thanks man. Yup season is here just waiting for the roads to get swept

31chevymike and loudbang like this.
  10. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Soon enough!

Stogy, 31chevymike and loudbang like this.
  11. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

776043CE-EE97-44CB-BA25-F85F0E61F1D7.jpg

GordonC, kidcampbell71, brEad and 3 others like this.
  12. loudbang

loudbang

I think when those skinny rear tires thread gets burnt off right quickly you might think about some wider ones to harness the "W" engine. :rolleyes:

Max Gearhead, Dino 64 and 31chevymike like this.
  13. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

I’m gonna be ordering up a set of towelcity cheaters to have mounted on another set of rims for those moments. Bias for cruisin and cheaters for bruisin! I had the car on the driveway on the weekend and uncapped the headers for fun. Had three neighbors all come out of their houses and come over. Everyone loves hot rods!

Luke S., brEad, Stogy and 7 others like this.
  14. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Picked up these front fenders for the coupe today. Have been looking for awhile. Want to gather all the parts to perhaps one day switch to full fender. These are in pretty darn good shape too. Also bought a matching set of ‘30 plates. Heard rumblings they may let us start using them which would kick ass!
    IMG_8201.JPG

15. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

Nice score on the fenders, some bigger pie crust slicks on the back of it will be bad a$$. We had 70 here yesterday, 62 today and rain, 22 tonight and 43 tomorrow. I'll be glad when it stays above 70!

16. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Had the safety inspection on Tuesday and all was good except my horn decided to not work and I need to extend my exhaust to the end of the car instead of just past the diff to pass. Built these new ends in the last couple days so should be good to go. Just need to pop back to the shop on Tuesday with it and he’ll sign off. On another note when I drove the car down it ran like crap. After some investigation we discovered that the carbs DO NOT like these breather filters! Was choking the carb badly and it was running pig rich. Removed the filter and left the screens and she’s all happy now. I was really second guessing at first that the filters would effect the motor that much but I guess with the cubes and build of the motor it needs all the cfm it can get when running on the centre carb.
    IMG_8280.JPG IMG_8281.JPG IMG_8264.JPG IMG_8266.JPG

31hotrodguy, loudbang, brEad and 8 others like this.
  17. 31chevymike

31chevymike

You should think about painting the inside of those "frog mouth" scoops - hot rod red. It would be the finishing touch to compliment such a great looking "W" engine!

Stogy likes this.
  18. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well Fitness you're getting us excited now...;)...I find it hard to believe those are choking it as you can see daylight right through them...If your just going to run screens get those Bug Domes they are not only traditional and look the part they are finer than those fuggly things in there now...Must be nice going for a permited trip to the shop even if it was a boggy one..how was the ride? Mike is right the inner scoops look nice painted in a non flaking finish as you don't want Ole 'W' eating anything but gas...and I heard through the ole news channels $1.65 a litre...:eek:...you can send us Spring but DON'T send us that...:D

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
    loudbang and 31chevymike like this.
  19. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Ya I like that look as well. Might in the future. Gotta leave some stuff to change as I like to tinker!

loudbang, brEad and 31chevymike like this.
  20. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

It was the black mesh that inserts into the screen that was causing the issue. We pulled the centre scoop off and then just set the whole filter assembly over the carb while it was running and it almost stalled the motor. Pull the mesh off and leave the metal screen and no issue. We were surprised it had that much effect as well. As for the drive besides the motor running like crap, it drove great. Nice and straight and surprisingly pretty comfortable ride. I have the tires at 28/26psi. Car was pulling to the left on braking so will have to tweak the brakes. All the usual stuff that you find on the first shakedowns. Will get some vids driving once I get everything dialed.

loudbang, brEad, 31chevymike and 3 others like this.
  21. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I spent many time chasing that stupid foam thing after it blew out of the carb when I had the odd sputter on take off or warming up...I know all about them...:D...mine seems to run okay with them...and they stop a fair amount of crud...

It's been discussed here many times and at the end of the day it still remains a very poorly addressed issue. I guess back in the good ole days there was a hooded setup with an
    oil bath cleaner.

Man this home stretch has been a bit like ketchup comin' out of a bottle for you...SOOON!!!

I have to fire up my Canadian Bacon SOON myself...;)

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
    loudbang, brEad, 31chevymike and 2 others like this.
  22. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Stogy, will those fine mesh inserts stay snug on his carbs? Really dig these inserts as I did NOT have them when I had my 6 deuce setup... Would like to see if they're offered for 4 barrel carbs. What company are these screened inserts from?

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  23. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

I think they press into the air horn. I have seen them before.

loudbang, 31chevymike and Stogy like this.
  24. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes they do...push in 94's you need pliers to pull them out...97's share 94 tolerance...they are vintage replicas. @31chevymike I've not seen them in larger dia. in this look...Ultimately you still would be better off with a filter. Think about that construction Zone with all that dust getting sucked right thru the screen into the carb and further...the street isn't a dragstrip. I guess the Ole racers on the dirt track were eating dirt but the longevity of a race engine was?

Then there was El Mirage that must have fill many a carb with impuregritties...:D

I think my ride did 3 to 4 years with just screens but Fitness's screen minus the foam is too coarse. Fairly large particles and of course ants could pass thru that.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
    loudbang, wackdaddy and 31chevymike like this.
  25. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I totally agree they look fantastic and do offer some protection and are authentically period as apple pie.

26. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I think I’d want some sort of filter rather than running the open frog mouths with just the screens.
    Sucking in dirt has to have some effect on the life of things like piston rings, bearings and all that.

But hey those things aren’t all that important and they’re easy to replace right ? ;):D

loudbang, Stogy and 31chevymike like this.
  27. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

By the way the tailpipes out to the back is a huge improvement I think.
    I think it completes the look and gives it that real serious hot rod vibe. :cool:

loudbang, 31chevymike and Fitnessguy like this.
  28. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Done.
    IMG_8288.JPG IMG_8287.JPG

GordonC, loudbang, brEad and 5 others like this.
  29. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER