Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods What happened to Jeff Thisted's great threads and road trips?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jnaki, Mar 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    I normally don't write these kinds of stories on the HAMB. It takes a while to gather thoughts on the posted stories that will fit the HAMB rules that someone will enjoy. But, this last incident needs some explaining to the masses. A great thread, fabulous photos, nice road trip information for all of us just happens to simply disappear from the HAMB pages. Several of Jeff Thisted's threads/posts have been deleted...to the amazement of a lot of people. So, what happened?

INFORMATION:
    One of the best written threads and stories, as a road trip series, has been taken down for some reason. The hot rod 1955 Chevy wagon, the popular roads, the fantastic photos, all gone in the last several posts without any warning. The photos are great in that they have some thought behind the composition, the 1955 Chevy wagon is in such a photographic angle or location that makes us want to travel to those spots. There was no foul language, it was extremely well written, spellchecked, photos aligned/interspersed with the running commentary of the road trips. But, for what? They disappeared.
    upload_2019-3-18_4-21-52.png
    The sad thing is, it highlights what many of us would like to be doing, going to great places in a cool looking hot rod that fits into the HAMB rules. It is not a massive bunch of copied photos that just take up space and time. They are actually planned writings with a great road trip stories and crystal clear photographs. Jeff Thisted's stories/photographs are not just some short useless comments with no value to the photographs, other than taking up space. They are actually a HAMB qualified "hot rod cruising around the back roads of the USA" and have attached stories/photos to go along with the ride. What more is necessary to qualify as a HAMB approved thread or post?

Jnaki
    I see the value of the rules from the HAMB editors, they are necessary. But, sometimes, I wish there were more moderators that delete useless dribble in some of the threads. As it has been posted by the moderators, there needs to be less single line comments on the massive amounts of photos posted on the threads. But, what about quality grammar, nice paragraphs, great photos, and a story line that fits into the intricate HAMB rules being deleted? How can anyone be the first person or even the second person to "report" on Jeff Thisted's threads and posts...what?

I apologize to the moderators, but it is very confusing for one thing to happen and not to others. Jeff's threads and posts should be part of the HAMB cruising/road trip hot rod threads.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
    Blue One, Offset and Sandgroper like this.
  2. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

What is Jeff Histed's HAMB name ?

Of is his HAMB name Jeff Histed ?

I put Jeff Histed in search and nothing came up.

Please clarify.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. jnaki

jnaki

Hey C,
    Here are several links or titles that I saved, just because they are well written and tons of people get travel ideas from those great road trips. Some got deleted within a day or two, the one from SEPT 2018 actually stayed on the HAMB and is still there in the history logs.

When typing in his name, I get the same answers, too... that is mysterious. Some of his stories are introduced and then there is a link to his writing pages.

Jnaki

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/salt-family-hot-august-nights.1120897/#post-12725273

Gone:
    120418 Jeff Thisted Highway 1 PCH, The Goodguys & Pinnacles National Park | The H.A.M.B.
    122018 Thisted Joshua Tree National Park, Goodguys & CSX3170 | The H.A.M.B.

Last week in March 2019:
    DRIVING TO THE GOODGUYS 9TH SPRING LONE STAR NATIONALS IN THE 55

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
    Blue One likes this.
  4. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2019-3-18_5-11-39.png
    Hey C,
    Sorry, I forgot to include the actual posting of the thread back in Sept 2018.

Jnaki

Blue One likes this.

5. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Odd indeed.

Blue One likes this.
  6. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Yeah, I deleted those threads. cars with 20" wheels have no business being on a traditional hot rod forum, I don't care how good the stories are. the car is off topic

7. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

First: it is Jeff Thisted - not Jeff Histed.

Second : Unfortunately the Large Diameter Later Model Wheels on the wagon.
    If we allow one to post with, then 100 other guys want to post their cars with large diameter wheels and that is not HAMB ERA traditional.

We all like the stories - Unfortunate - the non HAMB ERA Traditional Wheels.

54vicky, bct, Frankie47 and 1 other person like this.
  8. 5window

5window

What if he just took out the pictures of the offending wheels?

Tim likes this.
  9. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

As always, Jnaki had an interesting question and did receive the correct answer.
    May I answer 5window; If I see a really nice car that is HAMB worthy but has some offending item such as wheels, I simply adjust the angle of the photo to not include the off topic items.

Once again, a great question that received the appropriate answer

kbgreen and jnaki like this.
  10. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

11. Hyfire

Hyfire

That seems a little heavy handed. That’s a lot of value you deleted just because the wheels weren’t kosher.

12. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

It's unfortunate as the stories sounded well done, but I agree with the hard line stance of keeping the HAMB on track.
    I never saw the original threads. Due to the work of the moderators, there are probably plenty of pictures and threads that they scrub before we even see them;).

I agree with Sky Six on the poster being careful about what pics they upload. If it's a traditional Rod or Custom with an LS engine don't post under hood shots, etc.
    I'm amazed at how many people that have been members here for many years go right ahead and upload a Merc with billet wheels in the Merc thread. Same goes for car show coverage.
    Also, the Sitting and Rotting thread, continues to see post '65 cars and truck pictures posted.
    s soon as something gets posted and left up, it'll open a huge door to other things and it'll run off the rails.

13. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

May be but there are rules to keep postings in accordance with what this forum is all about. After all, it's Ryan's site and he makes the rules which the mods follow. It is what it is. As others have stated, don't post photos that are off topic or discuss off topic issues either and all will be well. JMO

14. The rules are what they are, Mark is a moderator and is doing his job absolutely nothing heavy handed about it! HRP

15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Evn though the threads were great I have to agree with Moriarity 100% this time. Those big ugly wheels prominately showing in every photo of the car have no place on this board.
    Same reason I didn't post photos of 70% of the cars I took photos of at the Portland Roadster show Saturday, interesting cars that were a mix mash of traditional build with big ugly wheels.

Blue One, kbgreen and Moriarity like this.
  16. CAHotRodBoy

CAHotRodBoy

This is a tough one for me because I love road trip threads but absolutely hate big diameter wheels. Other than the ugly wheels, the rest of the car fits in here nicely. Maybe we can all chip in and buy him a set of proper 15" diameter Torque Thrusts! :)

Ultimately, I agree that the car doesn't meet the HAMB's criteria so it shouldn't be here.

I'm on a lot of different forums and many have an OT section. Maybe we could have an OT section here for hot rods that are close but don't quite meet the standard HAMB requirements? I'd volunteer to be the moderator. :)

I love this site and have a couple cars that meet the standards but my '34 coupe is a bit too "street roddy" right now to qualify. It will soon get modified to make it more traditional but will most likely be more of a 70's style build (along the lines of Pete's CA Kid) so will not meet the '64 cut off date. I have a little home built camping trailer to pull behind it and will be doing a cross country road trip this summer in it. It's a shame that I won't be able to post photos of the trip here. Is there another forum out there for hot rods that are post '64 style builds?

redo32 likes this.
  17. lothiandon1940 likes this.
  18. CAHotRodBoy

CAHotRodBoy

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  19. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

Chappy,

Thank you from the very,very bottom of my heart. I am a 1944 edition, grew up in the "day" (but, due to economic circumstances, rode the city bus), I lurk here, and occasionally have technical info to contribute.

My interests and check book do not align with HAMB current practices (This is Ryan's site, I 100% agree with the mission). My Cummins 4bt swap is obviously deep OT. I also have a car that "should-not-be named" (1940's Swedish design), it is becoming a 1950's style driver. I am in search of a "home" that will "let-me-out-of -my-car-closet").

This weekend, I will be driving it 400+ miles to a Davis Haus of Style class in Phoenix. After my return, I will attempt a (hopefully non-confrontational) post on the HAMB side of this web site.

20. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

P.S. Asking the moderators to search every post and delete out offending pictures is simply too much work for volunteers. These folks are giving us their time, we need to honor that.

21. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

Excellent point. The rules are clearly written on the opening page. I don't know how many moderators there are and I have no idea what a super moderator is. I do know however, that they do this out of love for the hobby and get no pay or benefits. They should not have to police 13,000 threads and 450,000 members. When we post , take a little extra time to check yourself. God knows that at 70, I need to check pretty much everything I do...
    Moving on !

427 sleeper and jnaki like this.
  22. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

I have had some of my car show coverage pictures deleted because of O/T content. Once explained why they were deleted I understand. I also understand that when posting pictures of show's the OP doesn't always catch the offending vehicle. (That was my case.) So to avoid offending the masses I just quit posting pictures. (Probably to most folks enjoyment) Not out of anger or anything, but why make the monitors go through and clean my mess up. It's hard to go through and post pictures, when your looking at a thumb nail shot and determine if said vehicle has all the requirements to be HAMB friendly. So I just don't post that stuff anymore. Hey rules are rules, if you don't have them the place would go to the dog's real quick! I do go to other sites to see other stuff. Joe

427 sleeper likes this.
  23. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Those are American TTs, or Chimericas I guess. Nice looking, just wrong size. Kinda pisses me off they even make them nowadays, and in never before sizes. In his defense though, if he's cruisin' all over America and shreds a tire, probably easier to replace.

54vicky likes this.

24. No Problem, glad to help out when i can.
    i too have had a few of the swede marks... a P1800, a '65 PV544 and most recently a '09 S60R
    i was on www.volvoforum.com/volvo-classics/ for the vintage ones.
    also, you might find this interesting....
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/antique-volvo-hot-rod.325390/

Chappy

TrailerTrashToo likes this.
  25. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    Do Jeff Thisted's threads get put back on the HAMB if his American Torque Thrusts are 17" and not the purported 20" notation? Rather than suppose and follow the bandwagon, I thought it would be best to ask Jeff Thisted directly. This is the answer that I got in the HAMB conversation PM messages, today.
    upload_2019-3-19_11-34-41.png
    So, what happens next is up to the mods for clarity. I like Jeff's threads and would love to do what he is doing, including driving that very cool 55 2 door station wagon with the 17s and not the 20". Several years ago, my wife had 20" rims on huge tires on her daily driver. They were huge rims and tires. The SUV was requested by our son for our granddaughter's safe travels.

Those huge rims did not look like the same proportion, but I thought I would ask anyway.

Jnaki

Hyfire likes this.
  26. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

come on man, did they have 17" wheels in 1965? this is a traditional hot rod forum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.