Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Does anyone make a heavy duty universal wiper motor?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Mar 10, 2019.

1. Roothawg

Roothawg

I'm talking about the ones that go in the place of the old vacuum wipers in an old Ford. I am getting the 35 ready to make the trek to Wisconsin and this was one of the things that I need to fix.

I bought one of those chrome motors that didn't last too long. The guys at the hot rod shops say they don't have a very long life. They are cheap enough, but I don't want to have to do that ever 6 months.

So, is there a brand or a heavier duty application out there that will live?

Kinda like this one.
    https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedway-Black-12-Volt-Electric-Windshield-Wiper-Motor-Kit,2999.html

Also, I always seem to lose the wiper blades, the arm blows up and away they fly. Is there a heavier spring for the arm or a stronger arm?

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
  2. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Root hawg, I had to replace the air wipers on some fire trucks with electric wipers. Can’t remember the brand, maybe Trico? They had universal wiper motors and everything needed to complete the job. I gave my old books to my son, maybe I can get him to look up the brand and possibly some numbers. Oh that was some years ago too! Lol

Try Wexco, they have one similar to what I used.

Bones

anthony myrick likes this.
  3. Tomincanada

Tomincanada
    from b.c.

I used the one from newport engineering for my 51 chev p.u. works ok.

rockable, mgtstumpy and olscrounger like this.
  4. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

mgtstumpy likes this.

5. goldmountain

goldmountain

Look for an American Bosch WWF wiper motor. It is two speed and definitely more hefty. Probably found on eBay.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

deathrowdave likes this.
  6. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Newport on the 40's we do--work fine

Hnstray and mgtstumpy like this.
  7. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

8. sdluck

sdluck

Years ago on this web site a man talked about vacuum wipers had I think cork restrictions in the line over the years the cork would dissolve and disappear and the wipers would be super sensitive.He said they would work like regular wipers.

9. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Know anyone with 70's style cj5? The motor and arm are pretty compact but tough as hell. Use to use them from time to time back when they where readily available in a junkyard. Might be able to source one through NAPA maybe? Larry

10. sdluck

sdluck

Ford 6.9 7.3 diesels have belt driven vacuum pumps

11. This is the brand I used on my '41 PU, hasn't seen action though. It also uses a repo ford arm so it still has the weak/weird wiper insert.

I used a Newport on the '56 panel and have used it in the rain. It works real well, I'm also using the stock factory arms so they wipe good.

BTW the Newport kit has 2 arms(all kits, but you could unhook the linkage) and the Mighty is one arm per motor.

12. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I have used American Bosch , and the Marine Style shown . The marine style came from a postal delivery Jeep . The later Fords have an electric vacuum pump , if needed . It is used for heater controls , it should produce enough to keep your wipers chuggin .

13. mcsfabrication

mcsfabrication
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've used two Mighty Mite wipers. They're not cheap, but they work. They are also slim and fit behind the header panel easily. Nine years for car number 1 (then sold the car) and have over 3 years on the second car.

14. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

irishsteve likes this.
  15. morac41

morac41

With the little room you have I would be installing a cable drive unit..they are available after market..I have used these for 60 years....(Lucas brand English )....good thing about this type is it has independent gear box for the wiper shaft.. .( the boxs are avaiable in several different sweep ratios)....and you can rotate the box so the wipe movement can sweep together or sweep towards each other as for EG: split screens..usually it has plenty of cable so you can install the wiper motor in kick panel if there is no room under the dash.....Have done a few 35-36-37 ect over the years run the cable down inside the A-pillar mount the motor in the kick panel....

16. Stooge

Stooge

I've used Newport Engineering a couple of times, for both stock and a modified set up, and have been happy with them, easy to set up, and wire and comes with a 2speed switch. looks like they have a '35 ford kit, but it aint cheap, a little shy of twice as much as the chevy ones I've used.

rockable likes this.
  17. Roothawg

Roothawg

18. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Newport Engineering, spend a little more for a quality no corners cut package.

Roothawg and rockable like this.
  19. alchemy

alchemy

Years ago I had a Newport setup in a 39 Chevy. Bolted right in and was very nice. No problems whatsoever.

Ten years ago I installed a Mighty Wiper in a 32 Ford (lots less space than the Chevy) and it has worked well. Not as heavy duty as the Newport though. And the Mighty Wiper is not a bolt-in thing, it's just a basic motor with a few different shaft size options.

Roothawg likes this.
  20. Roothawg

Roothawg

This is pretty basic. The 35-36 pickups have a panel you remove. I just need a shaft that will fit through the hole in the header. It needs to be compact enough to be able to fit inside the header panel and get the cover back on.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  21. Here's the Mighty wiper dimensions:
    [​IMG]

I'm going to use one in the A because of room. Most of the one's with a gear box and round motor are bigger.

I have one out of the '41 like you have that just needs the cover. It's made in Japan (70's) might be better then the China one.....if I can find it you can have it.

Roothawg likes this.
  22. indyjps

indyjps

1 wiper, should be able to adapt something from an suv or minivan rear window. Compact little motors, many even have a washer.

Roothawg likes this.
  23. alchemy

alchemy

The Mighty Wiper fits behind the 32 passenger header panel, so I bet it will fit behind the 36 header too.

Roothawg likes this.
  24. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Newport will make you a single side wiper, I have one on my deuce 3 window and could have had one for my deuce 5 window but opted for a dual. I have went thru 2 mighty wiper motors on my 32 delivery and the one in there now still doesn't work correctly.

Roothawg likes this.
  25. R A Wrench

R A Wrench
    from Denver, Co

I have had good luck with rear wiper motors out of import hatchbacks. Small motors & no linkages. I had fit two into my 58 Willy wagon. A tight space and separate switches, not synchronized blades.

indyjps and Roothawg like this.
  26. when I did mine, I used these dimensions to make a test piece out of wood and a carriage bolt. I used it to make sure it fit the car , so when it arrived it bolted right in. DSCF4207.JPG

RMR&C, AHotRod, indyjps and 1 other person like this.
  27. bdynpnt

bdynpnt

I built a 40 ford panel delivery back in the 80s and used a rear wiper motor off of a rear hatchback it was only one speed but it worked great ( the 40 only had a wiper on the left side)

Sent from my SM-G965U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

28. Root
    I put the Mighty Might in my 36 pickup. It fits just fine in the header space behind the access panel. I did exactly as post 26 did; made a mock-up of the wiper motor and shaft first, tested it for fit and it worked fine. The Mighty Might may be light duty for a DD but in my case, I avoid the rain so it works just fine. It only has an "on/off" function and not variable speeds. At the time I was installing my wipers, Newport was developing the kit for the 35/36 and did not have it available so I settled for the MM and am pretty happy with it.

Roothawg likes this.
  29. Roothawg

Roothawg

So I called Newport and they sent me the install instructions for their dual wiper setup. You have to cut the header panel basically all the way across. Pretty invasive. You have to install an access panel that covers the whole header. They said they won't build me a single wiper version.

So, the search continues.