Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage California Exhaust Noise Bill Vote

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jalopy Joker, Mar 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

If you live in California need to help out SEMA Action Network change Law: semasan.com 20190308_110555.jpg

2. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What Cali really needs is a law outlawing base speakers set at 95 decibels. Or make it mandatory all windows should remain closed..

jimgoetz, Pat, blowby and 3 others like this.
  3. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

Great... More laws in Cali! Sigh... I am really hating it here.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Nickyz129 and Weedburner 40 like this.
  4. Deuces

Deuces

What's next?? Close all remaining dragstrips in California????.... :rolleyes::mad::(

classiccarjack likes this.

5. Years ago ,like the 60/70s, there was a saying ,"Will the last man out of Santa Ana please bring the American flag".

Deuces, classiccarjack and blowby like this.
  6. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Been a lot of quiet Harleys running around lately..

7. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

Why yes, and then smog cars back to 1927, and hey why not increase gas prices to $10.00 per gallon without even voting on it!

I have a feeling that we are on the road towards what car ownership is like in Japan. Only the extreme wealthy will be able to afford one.... Sigh

Did I come accross as upset, frustrated, or confused as to what us classic car folks are being subjected to here in Cali???? No not me.... Or anyone else for that matter....

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oooh goody! Another bash California thread!

Roads lead out in almost all directions, car hauling transport ships leave from every port, every few days.

Nobody is making you stay here.

9. Dan E

Dan E

The law didn’t really change too much from the existing law, now it’s just not correctable with a $25 fee. The fee is now like $1000 and you still have to fix it. There are other mechanical violations that are no longer correctable, like tinted windows.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It is a minor change in the law. You cannot simply get around actually fixing the problem, by paying a comparatively tiny fine. Now, you get fined, and you actually have to fix the problem.

The exhaust one largely only affects those who are truly disturbing the peace. That, nobody has ever had the right to do.

I have ridden in 1000hp cars that don't exceed the described noise limits.

"Under existing law, exhaust systems installed on motor vehicles with a manufacturer’s gross vehicle weight rating of less than 6,000 pounds, other than motorcycles, may not exceed a sound level of 95-decibels when tested under Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) test procedure J1169 (May 1998). This was not changed by A.B. 1824."

Loud exhausts, as defined by the above described testing methodology have been illegal in California for quite a while. That did not change.

Nitroholic likes this.
  11. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

TL;DR:

1. People like to complain.
    2. People like to complain about California.
    3. Some people in California who are breaking the existing laws are all butt hurt that they cannot simply continue to do so, by paying a small fine.
    4. Some people think that exhaust systems that are so far beyond simply loud, as to cause permanent hearing damage in bystanders (and themselves), are actually cool.

That about sums it up.

Nitroholic, mike 51 and INVISIBLEKID like this.
  12. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

The rest of us not living in California have to fall back on snow,cold and rain to complain about as we cannot drive our vehicles this time of year .
    Roads also lead in and the wife unit wants to move from Minnesota and has been checking out the Bakersfield area.

13. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh, and I forgot:

5. Some people have a political agenda that they like to push here, even though discussion of politics is forbidden here, by masking at as California bashing.

Jalopy Joker and Nitroholic like this.
  14. 52HardTop

52HardTop

Maybe you shouldn't hint at it then? I guess California folks are getting a little tired of always being the pocket book when their representatives spend more than they have?

15. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have an SPL meter, and have checked a few of the louder cars that I have access to, by the aforementioned testing methodology.

A few of them are so loud that I would not ride in them, for fear of losing my remaining hearing. Even so, they were under the California legal limit.

What people are arguing over here is far louder than that, as if not being able to produce sound levels that are documentably harmful in even short duration exposures is somehow preventing them from accessing their full freedom and liberty.

I question the sanity, and the building capabilities of anyone who cannot make an enjoyable vehicle without exceeding the established noise limits (which have NOT CHANGED!)

Nitroholic likes this.
  16. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Do what now?

California has a large budget surplus, and is a net-exporter of Federal tax dollars.

We are the 5th, or 6th (depending on examination methodology) economy, when counted as a separate country. We grow most of the produce you eat.

If we succeeded, the US economy would collapse in a matter of months.

How's Connecticut these days? I feel like your comment is more appropriately applied to you state.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
    Nitroholic likes this.
  17. 52HardTop

52HardTop

Just as bad as California and New York. One state can not be mentioned without the other two also being brought into the discussion. It's certainly not to show how well things are going in our states either. We all have that distinction. I guess we should all be proud of our accomplishments...

18. mopacltd

mopacltd

You know why it is so winding in Nevada? Because California sucks! Just saying.

19. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The greater Bakersfield area has some nice spots. It is not so far from So Cal hot spots, so you can hit shows, swap meets, etc., and some of the other attractions down that way, should you be so inclined. Then you can roll home and leave it all behind.

There is one mountain range in-between, though, and it does get snowed over a few times each winter.

It is not so far from the coast that you cannot reach Santa Maria, or even Monterey.

Other than that, the worse you will see is rain. The average low in December is about 38º. The record low, since records have been kept, was 19º.

The weather says that it's 59º there right now! Compare that to Minnesota!

partsdawg likes this.
  20. If changes to the law helps to bring the rice rocket jockeys and the motorcycle humpers into compliance, then I'm all for it. I don't know how they get away with it. If 60 years ago my '40 Ford coupe would have made half of the noise these guys do now, I'd have been gettin' a ticket.

PS: Gimpy, you are always so right-on and exactly on point..........

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  21. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Enough is enough... how about we get back to hot rods and customs?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.