Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical best fuel tank location?????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldstyledude, Mar 5, 2019.

1. oldstyledude

oldstyledude

hi everyone, im building the 52 you see for my profile . Ive bought a 17 gal tank i want to put in the front of the bed covered up by a cross style toolbox, but my question what about the vent ?? i know it needs to be the highest point but im wonderinbg if i put it in the tool-box you think i will have a noticeable odor right there at the truck all time?? thanks and keep building :)

2. Terrible80

Terrible80

da34guy likes this.
  3. What would you call the behind the seat stock location?:)

mad mikey likes this.
  4. BJR

BJR

A behind the seat tank is vented to the outside. What was suggested was a tank inside a toolbox and NOT vented outside the tool box. A bomb.

5. F&J

F&J

You need a higher spot in the vent line, but the actual vent opening on the line can be lower if needed.

you could run a 3/16" steel vent line down and go under the bedwood to the rear bumper area. Just have a high spot in the line at the tank, higher than the tank itself.

my hotrod has a 20 gallon tank behind the seat (in the trunk) with a 3/16" steel vent line, and does go to the rear by the rear frame horn. 3/16" might sound too small, but it's been that way for over 2 years with no issues.

6. The OP did ask about the vent. I'm sure one could be fabricated like F&J suggested.

7. BJR

BJR

If the vent line is lower than the tank, what happens when it starts to siphon the gas from the tank?

8. You get really poor gas mileage.

You could put a vent in the lid of the box and run a hose from the tank. If you wanted to get real anal about it you could put another open vent in the box in case the tank developed a leak. Not sure why the OP wants the box but I'm sure there is a fix with a little imagination. Its not rocket science....unless of course his only light source is a Bic lighter, then all bets are off.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
  9. Moon50F3

Moon50F3

I like trucks

King ford, egads and wraymen like this.
  10. Dusty roads

Dusty roads
    BANNED

Do you still have the stake pockets in the front on the bed? If so consider running a vent line into a stake pocket higher then the tank.

11. ...I'd suggest using an early Mustang tank behind the rear axle, they are reasonable, fit really well and you have your full bed space to use.

48 f4 058.jpg

Hnstray likes this.
  12. wisdonm

wisdonm

That set up worked great on Pinto's too.

13. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

That also offers better weight distribution.....Not insignificant in a pickup. I used a ‘38 Chevrolet repro tank on my AD truck. Built support structure in the frame. It has a filler neck out the driver’s side into the rear fender area and eliminates having the filler neck in bed floor.

Not the same thing at all for several reasons........

Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
  14. 62rebel

62rebel

Funny. At the time of the Pinto debacle, almost every other car being made used the same design. Some placed the tank further back away from the axle but right in line with bumper brackets that were just as capable of slicing open the tank in a rear end collision. Seems like GM got their pants pulled down over side mounted tanks later on. You can't control everything that can happen in an accident. BTW, Ford's fix was a piece of polyethylene between the axle and the tank. My parents took their Pinto in for the recall.