Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical wiring? plugs or straight wires ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lostone, Feb 26, 2019.

1. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Ok I'm at a dead stand still on frame and body until I can find some measurements so I'm sorting out some of my wiring parts and I was wondering.

When you run wiring do you do it in plugged sections or run straight wires to everything?

Example: rear taillights, do you wire the lights and then run a plug connector to the main harness ? Like a lot do on the gauge packages?

I've thought about running plugs on the dash, rear taillights, engine. So what sections do you run plugs on?

The37Kid likes this.
  2. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Adding plug ins for components is handy and looks kinda neat/ hot roddy, but any connection you add to any electrical system adds places for bad connections. Most systems already have enough of those, in my opinion.

Bones

olscrounger and TrailerTrashToo like this.
  3. Well, a 'traditional' harness up until the late '50s would more-or-less be one piece, with any plug connections generally being limited to the final connection of the circuit device (lights, horn, etc). In the late '50s Detroit started breaking the harnesses into sub-sections with plugs, although this could vary quite a bit from car to car.

Personally, I like using sub-sections and plugs as to me it makes installing the harness clearer and can simplify later disassembly and troubleshooting down the road if needed. I like separate plugs for the motor, front lighting, engine compartment 'other' circuits, rear lighting, steering column, and dash (two). They do add more failure points, so attention to installing is needed. Make sure the plugs you select are rated for at least 125% of each circuit load or the same amp rating as the fuse protecting that circuit. And if they're going to see any possible exposure to water, grease, oil, etc, use 'sealed' plugs. These are one place you really don't want to cut corners or 'save' money...

Boneyard51 and RidgeRunner like this.
  4. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Additional plugs, provide more locations for possible problems.
    Both at the wire to plug connection and the plug to plug connection. So, for every "single" plug, that's three additional possible problem locations. Adds up quickly.

On a fresh, new wiring system, where there is items that may need to be removed at some point, distributor, ignition box, radio, etc., yes I use high grade plugs, not just simple bullet or spade plugs.

Mike

TrailerTrashToo and RidgeRunner like this.

5. theboss20

theboss20

In a street rod or any vehicle that won’t see a lot of drive time...the old standby Packard connectors are fine. If you use dielectric grease in your connectors you won’t have to worry about corrosion or melting unless something catastrophic happens. Use grommets and loom on all wiring to eliminate chaffing. There is now super high temp loom to use around headers for starter wiring. Remember to use relays when concerned about load.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Texas Webb likes this.
  6. Terrible80

Terrible80

I'd put plugs where needed for anything I feel I'll be taking on and off more than a few times.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. Dirk35

Dirk35

I've only wired three cars from nothing using the aftermarket wiring kits, so I'm no "pro" by any means. I install my wiring harnesses so the entire harness can be removed later without having to cut connections. So that means some sort of plug connector for all external components (such as lights) and ring terminals for wires that bolt to a stud, and a way that you can fish all the wires and connections back through the firewall for later removal (large enough firewall grommet that it'll fit back through with all the end plugs). Other than a dab of sealant at the firewall grommets, I haven't figured out a better way of totally sealing it up. I like the idea of the bulkhead fittings, just haven't used one for a firewall yet.

8. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Thanks guys,

I've thought about possible problems but I planned to use weather pack style because I do plan to drive it, rain or shine.

I also agree dielectric grease to increase protection.