Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Trying to un-ugly a 1946 Ford coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chris, May 23, 2016.

1. jnaki

jnaki

Hey Chris,

If you are going to the 1962 effect, your car would have been right in that cool back row at the local drive-in lots. Here is what you would have seen in the drive-in parking lots at the two Bixby Knolls locations. A 55 Chevy two door post/floor shift, 56 two door post white tuck and roll, 57 Bel Air dual quads 4 speed lowered rake, 62 Bonneville, and a new 409 Biscayne.

There was also, a 40 Ford two door sedan with a Buick/LaSalle, a Purple 46 coupe with the popular SBC and white tuck/roll, a 51 Pontiac two door with the only floor shifter in existence, and can't leave out the 53 Chevy hardtop with white tuck and roll. Finally, there was also, my simple 40 Ford Sedan Delivery and 58 Impala, waiting in the wings.

If we traveled to other drive-in parking lots (3-4 other locations in So Cal), the cars would almost be the same, with the addition few 50s Ford Sedans and a mixture of station wagons in the groups. Most of the roadsters and pickups were in the car shows we went to and not daily drivers. For some reasons, even though some of us were surfers, and living close to the ocean, there were no woody wagons. There was maybe a family wagon or two, but no wood. Also, for some unknown fact, a 40 two door sedan and my 40 sedan delivery was in the mix, but no 40 coupes.

As our time at the drive-in parking lots was coming to a close, the newest generation had their own versions of hot rods and cruisers. Even in 1963 and 64, the HS classes had different cars than our 1962 group.

Jnaki
    upload_2019-2-20_4-18-3.png
    I like your 46 the way you upgraded it. It shows the true styling of our era in high school cruising. Wow, that is going on 57 years and counting. But, the styles were locked in back then and good examples can be found, just like your 46 coupe.

Even though some of us were surfers, woodies were just an afterthought and not the main form of high school transportation. But, my wife is very picky about what car she would ride in or drive. She definitely would cruise in your nicely done, 46 coupe, for sure. Besides, your kids will be growing up with this cool coupe, since everyone still fits in the white tuck and roll.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
    LBCD, brad2v, kidcampbell71 and 5 others like this.
  2. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

IMG_0196.JPG Makes me want to get my 46 Merc Coupe out redu it.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. Slopok

Slopok

I think you succeeded rather nicely!

4. sololobo

sololobo

killer car, great improvements. Love the cut/buff treatment. This is a sweet ride. like everything you did. Congrats!

5. Knghtcadi

Knghtcadi

I’ve just picked up my first 46 ford and it has a decent amount of play in the steering so exactly how easy is the rebuild any more details on it ?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

509garyd likes this.
  6. If you replace the worn/bad parts, putting it together and adjusting it is really easy. There is an upper and lower bearing/race, work gear and sector which all must be looked at to see if they are good or bad. Sectors can be spendy but fit a lot of years of Ford cars and 1/2 ton trucks, worm gears need to be pressed on and off the steering shaft. bearings and aces are cheap and easy.

I'd pop it apart and clean everything and go from there. You will also need a gasket/shim kit.

Knghtcadi likes this.