Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Update front brakes

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by alaska2stroke, Feb 18, 2019.

1. alaska2stroke

alaska2stroke

Pete and Jakes SAM_2047.JPG IMG_2267.jpg

Jalopy Joker and TagMan like this.
  2. F&J

F&J

Upgrade? The scrub radius is so wrong there. o_O

seriously, that is not the right way to build a front end.

jebbesen, trollst and RMR&C like this.
  3. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

4. It's pretty,

It's not right but it's pretty

Lots of cars have shit for scrub radius because of the aftermarket parts we are force fed. So you're not alone.

Scrub radius of 2" (positive or negative) is the sweet spot.
    IMG_1937.PNG

Andy, 56shoebox, BJR and 1 other person like this.

5. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Maybe it is my old eyes but it looks like the bottom of the shock mount is just barely above the rim outer edge, thus making it technically within the scrub radius. Cutting it close if there is any crown but
    we all make our choices. Sorry I was not thinking scrub radius but scrub line.

6. You're talking about the "scrub line"

7. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have an almost identical looking setup on my roadster, but the inner edge of the wheel rim is just about inline with the outer edge of the large slot in the caliper mount / disc cover, meaning the wheel is inboard by a good inch or more. Mine drives perfectly. I don't know how detrimental an effect that extra scrub radius would have. Can't be a good thing but isn't necessarily dreadful?

Chris

8. alaska2stroke

alaska2stroke

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
  9. alaska2stroke

alaska2stroke

SAM_1094.JPG Had to get the balloons off the end and the crappy yellow spindles. The stance remains the same.

10. alaska2stroke

alaska2stroke

11. alaska2stroke

alaska2stroke

Updated the Muncie two years ago. Changed from 3:30 to 3:80 posi. In need of a fifth gear, settled on a Richmond. Won't install it until next winter. SAM_2082.JPG

12. BJR

BJR

A taller tire would help also.

13. alaska2stroke

alaska2stroke

Nah, it sits right...it's been measured out. It drives right. We didn't change the stance...Video with the 3:30
    SAM_9776.JPG

14. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Been aware of scrub radius for quite awhile, but this is the first time I've ever seen 2" pos. or neg. designated as acceptable. Always thought that you were supposed to aim for center, which I can't get on my hiboy because of Buick drums unless I go to 16" tires/rims. Never measured mine but an educated eyeball says about 1-1.5" pos. Might be able to bring in a half inch or so, but didn't think it was really worth the expense and effort. Your comment makes me feel a bit better about that decision.:cool::)

15. alaska2stroke

alaska2stroke

I trust Jay to get it right.

16. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Ackerman has nothing to do with scrub radius, which is explained and depicted quite well in post #4.
    You've got a sharp car and I don't want you to get the idea that I'm critizing it in any way, just talking about one of the little known aspects of steering geometry.

17. BJR

BJR

"I'm familiar with ackerman type steering and others." It is not a type of steering, it is a principle of steering geometry.

18. alaska2stroke

alaska2stroke

Excuse me, it was sold as a feature by some manufactures, like McCulloch. I don't take any of this as criticism, we don't even have a chrome shop in the whole state. My car is my daily driver and it drives nice. 010.JPG

19. alaska2stroke

alaska2stroke

It was being sold by the entire industry as an accessory.

Attached Files:

20. Ackerman is a principal of steering geometry- specifically tracking thru corners. More specifically the inside tire turning a tighter circle than the outside tire.
    It's in the same categories as caster camber and toe

21. So 2" pos/negative is the sweet spot for scrub radius. The scrub creates a force against the steering components. This force loads all of the inherent slop to one side and keeps it there.
    As scrub radius decreases towards zero that force lessens and the slop can switch sides, incredible at ZERO or close creating loose and wandering steering as that slop switches sides.
    More than 2" and then the force is to great and causes irrational steering output and tire wear.

22. So did you figure out what we are talking about ?

23. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

I thought the Richmond trans still had a 1:1 fifth gear and lower first ?

dirty old man likes this.
  24. alchemy

alchemy

He'll probably just buy one of those go-cart Ackermans and adapt it to his 32. Should solve all the driveability issues. Don't worry, it's been "measured out".

31Vicky with a hemi, jebbesen and BJR like this.
  25. jebbesen

jebbesen
    from Winona, MN

This is the strangest thread I've read in a while. It seems like there are about 3 separate conversations going on independent of each other...

burl and dirty old man like this.
  26. 421-6Speed

421-6Speed

27. Is Ackerman sold by the gallon or the pound? I think I'd better stock up, there may be a shortage of it in the near future. :rolleyes: o_O