Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Dual Carb Fuel Delivery - Flathead

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LongT, Feb 17, 2019.

1. LongT

LongT

20190216_162747_resized.jpg

I currently have the fuel line to the dual 97s as above. I am concerned about engine heat causing problems with the fuel block where it is. There isn't much room to put the fuel block on the fire wall. Maybe a smaller 2 port block would fit.

The electric wires are in that position just to keep them out of the way.

Has anyone used banjo bolts to run the fuel lines? Do they work well?

2. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

I feel like hard lines would look cleaner/better. Just a small section of soft line near the pump.

3. Suggest you move the fuel block: The fuel line into my 327 FI motor is close to the intake manifold and percolates ethanol gasoline (E-10)......engine temp holds steady at 190 F. E-10 boils at 187F according to physical properties on the site I visited. I tried LL100 AVGAS to see if that worked, and did....will raise the fuel line away from the manifold and see if that works with E-10.

4. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

3 carb manifold.png

I have never had a problem with mounting the fuel block at that location but I run more fuel pressure than most people. 6 lb. Stromberg 48 carbs. Neoprene float valves.

5. LongT

LongT

That was another thought. I've seen pictures using copper and also steel lines at the carbs. I believe the 97s can use a compression fitting. I'm not sure if it is proprietary to old Fords or just a common compression fitting. I shall investigate further. I know Vintage Speed sells a welded dual carb feed but at $125 a bit pricey.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
  6. quickchangeV8

quickchangeV8

Why don't you take a look at the Lucky's Speed Shop website and look at the hard line fuel line sets they have listed there. Some of the fuel line sets are around the $60 mark. They sell the Genuine Stromberg carburetors and accessories. I believe Lucky's Speed Shop is an alliance vendor here as well. When you google there are a few Lucky's Speed Shops that pop up as this seems to be a popular name. The one you want sells Genuine Stromberg carburetors and they have pedal sets as well. I'm sure Uncle Max on here as well, could fix you up with a Stromberg fuel line set.

Heavy Old Steel and LongT like this.
  7. here's a setup I did on my buddy's Merc, the fuel block is mounted off of the intake manifold less heat transfer than the heads DSC01939.jpg

Inked Monkey and LongT like this.
  8. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Easy self-supporting hard lines For duals like yours:
    Get a Ford compression fitting for each carb and pump. Purchase a couple modern short pieces of 1/4" brake lines pre-terminated and a tubing cutter, plus a modern Brake T, aslo 1/4"
    Screw one of the short lines into the T with its own brake fitting, hold the T where you want it to be, bend its loose end around to the pump outlet, cut it off to a good length, drop on a Ford fitting and screw that into fuel pump outlet.
    You now have a T floating in air wherever you held it. Take a couple more cut off brake lines, screw each into the T with its compression fitting. Bend these 2 lines around to go into your carb inlets, cut off, and affix to the 2 carbs with 2 Ford fittings. Bending won't require bending tools, just leave lines a bit long until final step, bend slowly by hand, done. Cut only when bend is finished.
    No hardware that costs more than a hamburger, no special tools, measuring requires only bending lines till they go where you want them. If you bend or cut something wrong, a new piece of tubing is dirt cheap.
    If you want shiny, just buy your brake stuff in stainless made for streetrods and push a little harder to bend.

FlatJan, Moriarity and LongT like this.
  9. alchemy

alchemy

LongT and D type like this.
  10. Binkman

Binkman

I run the Stromberg stainless setup on three of my cars.
    Clean setup, no leaks, looks good.

Attached Files: