Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Mopar 8 3/4 tapered axle narrowing?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by judgeyoung, Feb 14, 2019.

1. judgeyoung

judgeyoung

I am sure that somewhere this has been discussed before, but I cannot find it with any search I tried.

I have an early Mopar 8 4/3 with the tapered and keyed axle shafts. I want to use it in a very mild reproduction of a later 50's rail with probably a Y-block Ford for power. I like the look of the keyed shaft out the wheels like the early Ford banjo rears and I already have the Mopar.

How were these axles narrowed? were they shortened and re-splined (assuming they are not necked down where I would need them cut), or were the outer ends cut and re-tapered and re-keyed? I assume that they would likely be done similar to the early Fords, but haven't been able to find how those were done either.

Anyone have a lead on the best way to shorten these critters?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Its been quite a while but I believe you have to cut the ends, re taper and new keys cut. You will know as soon as you slide the axle out of the 3rd member..... ...

3. mopacltd

mopacltd

Cheaper to just have Moser make you new axles the length you need.

Frankie47 likes this.
  4. judgeyoung

judgeyoung

Will they make tapered axles? I want to retain the keyed jubs so that the axle is period correct.

5. mopacltd

mopacltd

Now that I don't know. They are located in Indiana, I would call them.

6. @oj Someone needs axles

7. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

My advice would be to first remove your axles, and see if the shaft diameter is consistent along the length. If so, call up any axle company and see if they would be willing to do the job of cutting and resplining the inner ends of your axles to your desired length. I wouldn't expect anyone to want to machine threads and a keyway back into the outer ends, but I guess even that could be done. I wouldn't expect any of it to be cheap. :)

8. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Keys...no keys.
    Unless you are really going for original, safer, better to have modern flanged axles built.

Mike

9. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

if your wanting to run in an nhra sanctioned strip, per the rules, any narrowed rear end has to have custom made axles.

Bearcat_V8 likes this.
  10. There is a reason that style of axle went away. They were unsafe. Sure guys ran them but that's all they had. Do to accidents better axles followed. Are you going to be period correct and wear a leather jacket instead of a fire suit? How about a leather hat instead of a helmet? You have to be period correct right. The safety rules were written in blood. Let's hope you wisen up before some more rules are written in yours.

classiccarjack and RustyDogg like this.
  11. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

I made some faux hubs out of some wore out Ford rear hubs... DSC00347.JPG DSC00348.JPG DSC00345.JPG

12. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Duece that's slicker than hell.!! Lippy:cool:

classiccarjack and jeepsterhemi like this.
  13. patsurf

patsurf

14. mopacltd

mopacltd

WOW, just Wow!

15. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

16. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Most all the dragsters built that used the 8 3/4 housing installed Oldsmobile bearing ends because it used a large (3.150) diameter bearing and had axles made with the retainer ring to hold the bearing in place. Its still being done today with aftermarket made bearing ends. Plus many companies make a bolt on brake kits for those ends

classiccarjack and Hnstray like this.
  17. judgeyoung

judgeyoung

Very nice work! I had seen these, and that was a good option. I was just hoping I was missing an easy and cheap solution. I have a set of narrowed dragster axles already and may use them... then again, I may just use the '50 Ford original dragster rear that a friend has. Thanks to everyone for their great ideas!