Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 56 Lincoln power steering shakedown need help !

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by indcontrols, Feb 10, 2019.

1. indcontrols

indcontrols

So.... I am working on a 56 Lincoln Capri that was someone's hotrod a couple of decades ago. It got a 460/C6 transplant. So far (other than 1 broken valve spring), all has gone well. Today I backed it out to clean up the garage and the steering wheel started turning itself - rather violent ( it tried to twist my hand off !).
    Now the steering box is leaking profusely. The car came with the 75 460 pump attached to the 56 steering box, I assumed it worked since it was already connected and added fluid... Now the pump is empty and the box is leaking like a sieve ....
    Is there a mismatch here, lines swapped, steering box just toast ? Anyone ever seen anything like this ? Scared the hell out of me !

2. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

Could be lines switched , but if you have to build the box DON'T use mark 11 Enterprises. Use Lares corp. Itried the MKii and it lastedmaybe 200 miles. Warranty wasn't anygood>sent that one to Lares as an exchange for thiers.

3. indcontrols

indcontrols

Thanks for the tip, I think I have bought from Lares before...

4. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Where's it leaking from? Lines? Spool valve?.

Usually if it's turning when you start it it's the spool valve in the gear. Unless it has a slave cylinder which it doesn't sound like.

The spool valve will have to be handled by professionals.

5. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I saw that happen once with a later model Saginaw pump refitted to a 56 Chevy with the ram assist. Wheel violently went to full lock and blew all the fluid out. Lines were hooked up backwards at the pump.

6. indcontrols

indcontrols

Anyone know which side is the pressure side on the 56 box?

7. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I thought back in 56 it was power assist using a control valve and slave cylinder like the other FOMOCO cars. The power steering in my 56 Ford is just like a manual steering box. All that other shit attaches to it the arm underneath. There is no hoses to the steering box.

8. indcontrols

indcontrols

That's what I would have expected too, but this has a power box with a top mounted spool valve.

9. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

Not assist ,just like a newer vehicle box. Almost

10. indcontrols

indcontrols

Well it looks like the pressure side of the pump is hiked the big line, I’m pretty sure the small line is the pressure side - I would say the previous owner got them backwards. Now to assess the damage...

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app