Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Surprise Inheritance Mercury Custom Found

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by IronTrap, Feb 11, 2019.

1. IronTrap

IronTrap

Helped a buddy dig an old custom project out of a garage in NY recently and we documented the process. Figured I'd share as I know you guys dig this stuff. Thanks for looking!

-Matt/ITG

2. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Fun stuff .Thanks for taking us along.

Petejoe likes this.
  3. ronzmtrwrx

ronzmtrwrx

Cool story. Good to see that stuff rescued and will be interesting to see what becomes of the old Merc.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Cool - never know what is hidden around

5. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

For those who do this sort of a thing on a regular basis the trip, weather and work might
    be a drag. To me, pulling the car out and documenting the day with photos would be an
    adventure, if not fun.

Matt, can you tell me what that tune was that was played in the middle of the video?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  6. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Just think how many old cars and parts are still hiding out there in old garages and barns.
    Amazing!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  7. See, now thats how to make an interesting car show. Compare this video with the stupid drama queen shows on tv like Counts Customs or Fast n Loud where all they do is sit around and talk about boring crap or argue about made up stuff. This to me was good entertainment.

8. Rusty Heaps

Rusty Heaps

Just think how many are hiding in my backyard!:rolleyes:

Petejoe, VANDENPLAS and czuch like this.
  9. jim snow

jim snow

Good stuff. Thanks for the video. Snowman

10. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

Thanks for posting.

11. I see a pair of Hemi heads at the 12:00 minute mark. Who knows what other treasures are hidden in there. After seeing the rest of the video, those are 1954 331 heads, large ports with no water outlets. Nice score.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  12. Cool video and cool car.

There will be a lot more barn finds in the next 10-20 years as the generation that grew up with these cars and the mentality to keep everything, unfortunately pass away.

The issue I see is with a garage as overloaded and filled with junk as this one is. A lot of good parts, tools and possibly some rare stuff will get tossed out as most times the person who hoarded it did not inform his relatives of what he actually has and the place is so filled/cramped/junked/ and dirty that most people don’t want to go through it and would just junk it all for the sake of getting rid of it.

If this stuff was at least accessible and somewhat organized ( on shelves or in boxes) I bet there would be 10x the value in that garage then what they will eventually haul out.

I’ve seen it many times old guy passes and a bin gets orderd and the garage gets cleaned out.with 0 regard to any value.

But grandmas tea cups and collector plates...... that’s the big money o_O

292941E0-6B5E-43FC-A17A-B2C6ECDA6DDF.jpeg

chryslerfan55, 56don and partsdawg like this.
  13. elba

elba

Really good job on the video and the find !

14. SMLBound

SMLBound

Enjoyed watching the video, thanks for posting it so we could come along.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. KKrod

KKrod

Really enjoyed the video. Thanks for sharing it. That channel job has a sinister look to it imo.

16. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Being a junky parts guy I would have made a offer to buy the contents of the basement. All of it. Done it a few times and when the seller realizes that I’ll clean out everything from floor to ceiling wall to wall a deal is made.
    Fun video

17. Love it. Thanks for taking the time to post.

18. I've got a buddy that does that; basements, garages, attics. Makes decent money doing it too....

19. IronTrap

IronTrap

Thanks for watching! Yea I was tempted to make an offer on it all, but the new owner really wanted to go through it all and make sure there wasn't any real treasure (like $100 bills) hidden in the basement. He did say I can come back and dig around. Just need to make the time as it's a bit of a drive. I might swing by on my way to Rhinebeck in May if I can make the time on the way north for the swap.

-Matt/ITG