Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Unsafe Vintage Wheels?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Nicholas Coe, Feb 8, 2019.

1. rudestude

rudestude

Wait.....back up....the ug and ogg invention of the wheel ...hit in the head ...patent rights...anyways more importantly....the bridge you mentioned that's for sale.....how much...and where's it located....and does it have to be moved......???....just curious...

Sent from my SM-T387V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Nicholas Coe likes this.
  2. 34fordjay

34fordjay
    from Mass USA

If you read it on the internet, it must be true. At least that's what I was told. HAHA

Nicholas Coe likes this.
  3. I'm sure manual drum brakes, no power steering, vacume wipers, no air bags or crumple zones, and so on are all going to kill us too. Never seen a broken keystone or cragar that didn't come from a wreck. I wouldn't worry about . I would live on the edge.

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There were some knock off wheels (imitation not with a knockoff) that looked like Keystones, Maybe a Crager or others in the early 60's that were known for the centers separating from the steel rim. I can't remember the brand but remember guys talking about them and remember the guy who ran the Shell station we hung out at showing me one that had come apart once. That "looks almost like but is a lot cheaper and lower quality" isn't new in the car trinket world.

Nicholas Coe likes this.
  5. For those of you that think I'm full of it for my last post.;) The Bellaire Bridge that crosses the Ohio River from Benwood WV to Bellaire Ohio can be bought, Google it. Contact the current owners or better yet the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers for a price and the answer to your last part of your question.:p I will assure you, it isn't cheap. There, you have It rudestude, bridge for sale and the proof.:cool: ANYONE ELSE WANT TO QUESTION MY KNOWLEDGE OF HISTORY? I have answers. I have also been accused of pulling "far side security for Mosses", during his epic sea crossing.:rolleyes:

Elcohaulic and deathrowdave like this.
  6. I don't put to much stock in arm chair Metallurgist. HRP

lumpy 63 and Nicholas Coe like this.
  7. rudestude

rudestude

Holy Crap....questioning your knowledge of history.?...saying your full of it...?...I was just making a joke with the bridge thing...had nothing to do with your knowledge of history....hell the wheel being invented in whenever by who ever ... I don't know or do I care ..I was just using bits from that part of your post for reference to the bridge ,the second part,not questioning your knowledge of history...if you know the history of the wheel ...great...if you have knowledge of a real bridge for sale ...great.....me making a joke on the old "bridge for sale" thing...apparently not so great to do with someone that has so much knowledge of history.......

Nicholas Coe and warhorseracing like this.
  8. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All wheels are deadly in the greater Motown area. We have holes in the roads big enough for families to live in. ;)

9. Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    Elcohaulic and rudestude like this.
  10. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I was under the impression those Keystones came out about the time of the second generation Monte Carlo. :) But actually early '60s!

[​IMG]

Elcohaulic and Nicholas Coe like this.
  11. rudestude

rudestude

I guess we shouldn't be yanking to much chain....could get a rise out of someone......so I just got to ask....did you get a chance to meet Mosses in person ?........
    ....Bridges?.....I don't need no stinking bridges.....watch this.....
    Have fun....

12. Steel wheels and hubcaps, Mags are bad 60's 70's things.

Nicholas Coe and rusty valley like this.
  13. Pass The Torch

Pass The Torch
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dealing with a similar issue. Have a set of composite / two piece wheels that were on my uncle's car since forever that were swap meet finds. Car always had a vibration; never seemed to bother him. I took possession of the car (which had sat for some time) and put new tires on it. Fronts were great, but there was no balancing the rears properly. 5 oz on one, and forget about the other! I have since had them checked by a wheel shop, and they will now make great hose reels.
    IMG_0377.jpg
    Luckily he had another set that checked out ok.

mcsfabrication and Nicholas Coe like this.
  14. fordcoupeguy

fordcoupeguy

I never had much luck with cast wheels,they always seem to shake. I run steel wheels now. I once had one break the studs and fly off. But dam , they look good!

Nicholas Coe and Elcohaulic like this.
  15. fordcoupeguy

fordcoupeguy

My 39 and my bros 40 last summer (wife in the middle). ELTA bash,St. Thomas dragway. No cast wheels. DSC_3186-X2.jpg

Nicholas Coe and williebill like this.
  16. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

I always had better luck with stock style steel wheels. The ones I had so far have less run out then the aluminum wheels I've tried.. The roads in my area are very steep with very sharp turns so wheels have to be solid..

Nicholas Coe likes this.
  17. mickeyc

mickeyc

Many years ago I was tooling along near Lordsburg New Mexico. Took a little nap behind the wheel, woke up when the rumble strips sounded off. Over corrected
    and all four A P brand five spoke wheels separated from the spokes. From my inverted position on the interstate I watched them roll merrily down a ravine still fully inflated. The stars remained bolted to the hubs. Not a good day in the desert!

Elcohaulic and Nicholas Coe like this.
  18. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

Exactly! A little common sense goes a long way here. I would not put a brand new wheel aluminum or steel on without examining it closely. The same goes especially for a wheel that is used or it is not known how it was used. If the wheel was used for racing or has extremely high mileage I would think twice. Dissimilar metal corrosion can also be a problem. I would look closely at the lug hole areas and also at the joint between the the steel and aluminum. If there is heavy corrosion I would investigate further using a wire brush. If there are any cracks no matter how small or heavy pitting I wouldn’t use them. If they look decent they are probably good to go. Always amazes me how rumors or the internet can become facts over common sense and science.

Nicholas Coe likes this.
  19. Real History (artist renditions)
    iuLB2R3T38.jpg iuM7PUUD4F.jpg

20. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

"Don't paint your license plate, you will go to jail...."

Nicholas Coe likes this.
  21. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

(Side note) that’s a slick 60, I like!

Nicholas Coe likes this.
  22. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I had a pair of weld wheels, I know off topic but never the less unsafe, crack at the weld in the center of the wheels. They started creaking one day and one just collapsed.

Nicholas Coe likes this.
  23. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Check out CA , bet it's on par ...

Nicholas Coe and Johnny Gee like this.
  24. 97

Hot Rods are Dangerous! Must be true, the Chief of Police said so! I read it in a 1946 newspaper clipping.

Nicholas Coe likes this.