Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical c cab size

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flatheadgary, Feb 8, 2019.

1. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

I am trying to build a c cab out of a 23 t body. I searched, but haven't found a dimension for a c cab. From pics I've seen it looks like the size from the door to the back of the body is a little longer than the door size, but I don't know by how much. There are plenty of charts for the roadster body but not for the c cab. The size for the roadster is 22 17/32 from the one I have. I measured my body and it came to 26 inches so I am at a lose on which way to go. Do any of you gentlemen have a chart or a c cab they could measure for me. Oh yea, this is a 'glass body I am dealing with. I know I can make it any size I want, but I would at least like to start from some size. Also, I know I can probably get the parts I need from some vendor, but I have a 'glass body and I like to work with 'glass. Less cuts and warping. thanks

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
    Deuces and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. redo32

redo32

There are several pictures of this in the Suede Palace on GNRS coverage. Grab a couple of refrigerator boxes and mock it up until it looks right.
    [​IMG]

3. alchemy

alchemy

I agree, eyeball and seat of the pants engineering would be better in this case. If you are building a hot rod it shouldn't matter if the proportions are different than original Ford. Build it so it looks and fits right, not measures right.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  4. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

The measurement I need is the distance from the door to the back of the cab. The revel farthest from the cowl toward the back. I am not building a delivery. The size is relevent to the size of the stock T frame. The proportions get all out of wack unless you extend the frame.I measured the 4 bodies I have and they are all different. 1 is 25, 1 is 26 and the other 2 are 27 inches. I chalk that up to 'glass being made from copies of copies. I have everything ready to start glassing up my buck and after finding out the size of the bodies I have, now I am really confused. Thanks guys for the replies. I didn't expect so many so fast. Also, this body will be for sale, so I don't know what it will be used for, hence the need to make it close to stock.

5. goldmountain

goldmountain

This one is stretched. It's also for sale. If anyone is interested, I'll pass on the message. IMG_1006.JPG

6. redo32

redo32

If you're building this for spec, I think you wasting your time. Ask the guy above if he is making any money on the project he's selling.

7. alchemy

alchemy

Yeah, do it for you, or do it for fun. But you are wasting your time if you are doing it for profit.

8. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

I will say this again, since people don't read or understand my writing. I am not building this body to build a complete car. It is not a delivery. It is a c cab truck. I want it to be close to stock length if possible. This body was cut off 10 inches from the door toward the back. It was a failed mold job. The surface is really messed up. Probably the jel coat didn't harden up. It was given to me. I thought I would try to save it. That is all I am trying to do. If nobody has a stock c cab I guess this is all I can get from the HAMB. Maybe I will try on the Ford Barn.

9. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

We had a steel C-cab body on our Model T car chassis. YEARS ago when I was a kid. If I remember right it was about the same length as a roadster pickup body. Not very long from the door to the back of the cab. I don't have the dimensions but if someone has a roadster pickup body to measure from I bet it would be close. Sorry can't help more. Lippy

10. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

This?

Attached Files:

11. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

lippy you get me. Yes that is what I am trying to build out of this body. Other than the truck. I got schooled on these things. All c cabs are TT's. Man there are a lot of different styles too. Some with doors, some without. Low roof and high roof too. Thanks for the pic. My computer won't post pics. It crashed once and that is one thing they didn't connect the dots when it was rebuilt, so it won't work. Looking at the pic, it looks like it is just a few inches longer than the door. The model T, as far as the rpu, would have a rounded back instead of the flat one. I believe the '29 A's have a flat back though. I think I will just give it a wag and go ahead and start glassing tomorrow. I suppose they weren't as long as the cars, as they were a commercial truck, they could have longer beds. If there was cruise or museum nearby I might find one to measure, but it's taking up space in the garage and I am space challenged. Except in the head. Thanks again.

12. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Your call on WB, the rear radius rods on below angle down when they should be up.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

EVL401 and kiwijeff like this.
  13. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

what's with all those pics? i said several times i am not working a delivery. it's a truck cab. read the post. those have nothing to do with my question.

14. razoo lew

razoo lew
    from Calgary

you should try to complain a bit more, it inspires more people to help.

15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well shit if you are trying to make one look like a stock T go to a stock Model T board. The guys offered up suggestions and all you do bitch and complain.
    As several said, if you are building a hot rod there are no "exact" measurements, you build it to fit you and you build it so it looks right when you stand back and look at it. A stock Model TT truck is one cramped sob if you are over about 5' 8" and 160 lbs.
    This isn't a C cab but it is a TT that I raised my hand for an opening bid at an auction 20 years ago and ended up buying for 10 bucks. If it was 4 ft from the firewall to the back of the cab that was pushing it. It was sitting on a standard freight pallet in the photo.
    [​IMG]
    Here is a link to all the photos of it if that might help. http://s173.photobucket.com/user/mr48chev/library/TT Truck cab?sort=4&page=1

16. rudestude

rudestude

Crap ...do you know how many C-cab body variations there are ...alot....the body platform measurements are actually taken from the chassis body location blueprints when you are trying to determine body dimensions...then again it depends on the body you are wanting ...hell do a search it's all there you start with the truck chassis blueprint...that will give you your measurements from the hood to cowl then to the seat location and combined with a picture of the type of cab you want ,and there's pics of every one you can think of on there, you should be able to determine the measurement you want ....ya it's a bitch when you have to think and work at it your self to get s answer...all the info is there ..the mind is a terrible thing to waste...so use it....but now if I was needing them measurements....I would ...hell I would just go to to my neighbors and ask if I could get some measurements off of one of his C-cabs....he has a couple or three maybe more ...with doors ...with out doors...a hack..and a extended sort of cab....but that would be to easy.....so here make it to one like this ...I know you don't want a panel....then just quit laying glass when you get to spot that would be the back of the cab....I'm done...you can bitch and put me down now....just saying....have a little fun..... 15497076767103275434097210623901.jpeg

Sent from my SM-T387V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

kiwijeff and upspirate like this.
  17. Moon50F3

Moon50F3

There’s a guy named Texascash that has a 23 c cab on the H.A.M.B. classifieds right now. Maybe reach out to him for a measurement?

Pat

18. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

you know what it's like asking a question on this board? it's like adding a car to a classified site and you put everything you can think of about the car and people keep calling and asking you everything that's in the ad. if you don't have anything to add to answer the question why post? if you look just a few post above yours you would find exactly what i was looking for. what happen? did i hurt your feelings because i couldn't figure out why you can't read the op and can't figure out a truck from a delivery or what?

19. Moon50F3

Moon50F3

Too bad someone doesn’t come on here and give you a Hamber’s name and point out that he has a c cab truck in the classifieds right now, and that you could PM him and ask him to walk outside with a tape measure. Adios, Flatheadgary!

Pat

upspirate likes this.
  20. kb cookout

kb cookout

A C- Cab is 46-1/2" from the cowl to the back corner of the cab, the 1/4 panels are 18-1/2" wide and the doors over lap the door jams

21. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

moon, texascash has a sale pending. i emailed him to see if he still has it. i don't think the ones posted in 2015 and 2017 would still be available. thanks for the reply kb cookout. i think you answered my question. now i can glass the panels on and cut where i want to. i think i will cut them at 20'' just for a little more room. who knows, maybe i will build a truck. i didn't think this question would be so hard. i figured someone must have a stock body hiding in the back of the garage or somewhere. maybe another question, are the c cab doors longer than the t bucket bodies doors?

22. kb cookout

kb cookout

The pre 1926 touring and roadster cowl panels are the same width is the same as 1924-26 C - Cabs

Door opening for the C -Cab is 17" wide at the top and 16-1/2" wide at the bottom., and the doors are taller, they go all the way to the bottom edge of the body

I'll have to dig out some doors and post the sizes

23. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Hey, kb;
    Thanks for the info. This is handy for those of us who don't own/have access to these things/parts.
    Gary, you may as well do a glass version, & put it on the V-Rod chassis for awhile. New look, new opportunity to really hack a few off... :D . WTF, may as well offer glass bodies w/choice of body lengths - nobody else is...
    Marcus...

24. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

yea Marcus, i was thinking about doing just that today. i bought an old vwt full fendered awhile back that was good for just about nothing. the motor was froze, the fenders were hacked up to fit , the box was lengthened by adding metal, the gas tank was about 2 ft square and made out of 1/4 plate and weighed about 150 lbs and the frame was just lovely for scrap, which is what i did. i saved the trans, torsion parts, the vw front end and the main body (the grille was junk and the hood). i thought about building another vwt full fendered and put the c cab on it. i guess it's like they say "like minds think alike" my other vwt got all the things corrected and that's as far as i got. as far as the mold goes to make some more, that may come about, if i don't die first. who knew, when you get older it never stops until it stops.
    kb, that's great! i am using a '23 glass t body so i will live with those doors for this one. i guess it will be a hybrid. thanks again for your help. why couldn't you have been the first response? it would have been a short thread.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  25. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Catch me on the PM. I remember, which is why I suggested it in the 1st place. :D . You should still have my info, from the last convo n ph talk we did. If not resend. Hope all is well.
    Marcus...