Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Straight 8 Carburetion

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JPStarChief, Feb 5, 2019.

1. JPStarChief

JPStarChief

2. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

If you can run sidedrafts, you might take a look at some surplus Keihin CV's, like those used on thousands of Harleys. There would also be a large selection of air cleaners to look at.

3. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

it's a long time since I ran down the mail box. But I remember that 54 as a barge, Do you have power brakes? What drives the windshield wipers? If you go to an IR intake, what effect will that have on your vacume?

4. JP, I am proud of you for keeping the inline eight. As can be seen in my avatar, I , too, have an inline eight. Though the Buick is an overhead valve engine, some of the same problems arise. I built an intake using exhaust tubing. A "U" from port 1 to 2 and another from 3 to 4. Connected these with another "U" as near center to center as I could. I am running one two barrel mounted in the center of the connecting "U". Not HAMB friendly two barrel.
    Bored and replaced pistons with forged ones to bring CR to 9.5 to 1. Mild cam. Larger valves and cleaned up the ports. It is somewhere around 290 CI. Rascal moves! MUCH more responsive. So IMO, for performance, one carb can do nicely. Another thing entirely for looks. I have learned a lot of good lookers are not as efficient.

Good luck
    Ben

5. dan griffin

dan griffin

There is a junk yard in town with lots straight 8 P0nt.s

6. Brizo

Brizo
    from Indy

7. JPStarChief

JPStarChief

I don't be lieve it has power brakes, but the wipers may be run off of vacuum. As long as I can figure out what the vacuum signal that is required for that system to work, it shouldn't be too difficult to determine what needs to be done.

Now balance tubes are going to be something that may need to be done between the runners, Just not sure of exactly how I would have to plumb those. It's fairly straight forward when dealing with a set of duals on a flat four but having to contend with, effectively, four banks of two cylinders things might be a little more involved in terms of where to route what to which.