Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 1960's Hot Rod Barber from Lexington Massachusets

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by APD 628, Feb 2, 2019.

1. APD 628

APD 628

I am trying to locate the original owner of my 1964 Sport Fury
    In 1964 a barber in Lexington, Massachusetts bought a 383 4 speed Sport Fury. He raced it locally at drag strips in New England from 1964 until the late 1970's. It still has the tow bar connectors sticking through the front bumper.
    He often drove the car to his barber shop and worked on it between customers. He blew the engine up and parked it for several years. He sold it to an electrician from Buffalo, New York in the late 1980's. It sat in the electricians shop until 2000 and the third owner bought it to restore. I bought it from him in October of 2017.
    If you know about this barber, I would really appreciate some help. Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

lothiandon1940 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  2. Change your thread title. "Lexington, Massachusetts '64 Sport Fury bought new by a drag racing barber" ..... or some sh#t like that.

You need it to be spotted by a HAMB'r that can specifically recall exactly that. Otherwise, it's blind luck to have THAT guy stumble into this thread, about a Sport Fury.

Good luck. Cool car !!!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. oldolds

oldolds

You do realize that if he was 20 when he bought the car in '64 he would be about 75 now. If he was much older when he bought it the chances quickly diminish that he his still around.

4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

if you, or a friend, live near Lexington possibly the local library has old newspapers that may have an ad for the barber - yes, a long shot - also, place a ad in wanted section of the local craigslist, etc

dan31 likes this.

5. squirrel

squirrel

a town of 30,000 people...how many barbers were there? find a phone book from that time, in the local library, and start your search. Should be fun.

dan31 likes this.
  6. dan31

dan31

Sorry I'm no help in your search but i just gotta say thats a great looking car ,always loved 62-65 [ have a 64' Polara myself ]. I've always wondered who has owned my car in the past ,only knowing that it was a street/strip car for a long time . In fact thats probably what saved it as it has no rust what so ever. Hope you get that last piece to the puzzle. As Squirrel mentioned a town of 30k probably only had around 12 barbers ?. Tell us more about that car ,more pics or what your plans are for it,thanks.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
  7. APD 628

APD 628

Thanks for the constructive criticism, will do.

8. APD 628

APD 628

I was hoping he had some kids who liked old cars, or kids who got their hair cut there. I got a reply from a Craigslist post that said for some $$$ up front he would give me the info I need. Nice guy.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  9. APD 628

APD 628

My car is a bit of an anachronism, graduate school term for a something, in this case my old Plymouth, that exists out of it's place in time. I found a first generation 426 Wedge block, from the first casting run. I spent way too much money on it. I built it to 1964 NASCAR specs. Forged crank, Diamond Connecting rods, pistons, Comp Cam roller cam, roller rockers, some max wedge heads, then had them flow benched and port matched to my Edelbrock intake. 3" TTI exhaust and 2 1/2" long tube headers, Magna Flow mufflers. I put an 11 " Macleod dual disc clutch in it. It has a 18 spline A833 4 speed that has 1964 data stamped on it. A balanced 3" driveshaft, a Dana 60 with 4:10 gear set, a rebuilt Super Stock rear suspension and finally a set of 11" rear drum brakes. I put a set of disc brakes on the front, and hung a power steering pump on it. It is not much of a highway cruiser. At 70 MPH it is bumping on 4,000 RPM's. I have no idea how fast it is because it is turning my redline of 6,000 RPM 95 or so.
    A neighbor owns a Hellcat, and I beat him several lengths 0-100MPH. Starting on the interior next, I am going to leave the old beat up race car exterior alone.

s55mercury66 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  10. APD 628

APD 628

11. lothiandon1940 likes this.