Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ford C-6 transmission info/ help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Boneyard51, Feb 2, 2019.

1. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I plan on putting a 428 or a 410 in my ride, with a C-6 transmission. I looked at several sites and found basic info, such as 4 different bell housing patterns and that it came in small cars, big cars, and trucks and was made from 1966 to the eighties or so. But that was about it.
    I’ve heard that 1966 models are kinda odd and some models have heavier duty parts.
    I know I will have to use the FE bell housing case and big car tail shaft.
    Are the internal parts all interchangeable between all C-6s? What transmissions would have the stronger parts. What do I need to look for? Thanks in advance.

Bones

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Internals are basically the same 6 cylinder parts will not have as many clutch plates as the V-8 transmission will.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  3. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I think the 66 C-6 also is a green dot so I would us a 67 and up trans.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  4. boutlaw

boutlaw

Just make sure the trans bell fits the FE and you'll be good. I would recommend the "R" servo with the 428. Your trans guy will know what that is and its easily changed externally. If you have to buy a flex plate for your FE, make sure and get the "flywheel reinforcement plate" which is the required ring that goes between the bolts and the flexplate, like a big 6 hole washer ring, otherwise flex plate will crack.

loudbang and Boneyard51 like this.

5. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Ford-trans bellhousing.jpg
    C6 bolt hole patterns

6. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

There is a lot of parasitic drag in these, that can be reduced somewhat if you want to rollerize one. Frank Merkel has a post on the 460 forum that lays it all out in detail. You can also install lower first and second gears in one using parts from an E4OD. Also there are two different basic valve bodies, the early ones have the shift detents in them, and the later ones have the detents in the case. Notice I did not mention the green dot version, as no shift kit is available for it. Shift points and quality can be massaged a little by playing with the vacuum modulator and pin length, but if you really want to raise the shift points you will have to play with the governor. If you do that, and want to shift only by the governor, you can install a valve in the modulator vacuum line, and close it when racing. Do you want to hear about the 16 cent shift kit?

7. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Tell me more! Lol

Bones

loudbang likes this.
  8. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Boneyard51 likes this.
  9. elba

elba

A C-6 caused me a hospital visit one time. I guess I really caused it . I was torquing the bolts that hold the pump in the case and the socket slipped off the bolt head and my fingers holding the torque wrench went over to the flange of the case and instant hurt and blood .. Stitches fixed my fingers .
    Maybe that would be a good thread to start "HOSPITAL VISITS "

loudbang and Boneyard51 like this.
  10. sunbeam

sunbeam

How quick do you need it I have a 76 FE buildable core that you can have that I can bring to the Tulsa swap meet in April.

loudbang, squirrel and Boneyard51 like this.
  11. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Sunbeam, that would be great! I’m in no hurry.... I am the King of procrastination! Lol. I try to make that swap meet as often as I can.
    I’ve visited your town many times, used to be a Canonball hay bed dealer, back in the day.

Bones

loudbang likes this.
  12. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Bones, I am searching for my notes on the C6, they will turn up in a day or two, and I will post up the valve body and seperator plate mods. They are really simple, and cheap. I want to see if anyone else has some input on them also. Myself, I grab every one I can, just for the extra internals.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  13. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I just did one of those not long ago.
    Got all the parts from, PATC.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  14. merc66rkm

merc66rkm