Register now to get rid of these ads!

model T rat rod build up by a newbie. suggestions wanted

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cameltowing, May 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Shakespear was never a favorite of mine, more of a Homer guy. The Iliad is a great read.
    Beer at 10 paces?? Cool, I can do that! Full strength Aussy beer though, and not that Fosters or XXX shit!
    Doc.

2. the-rodster

the-rodster

Hell, I'll step up.

I don't see a damn thing wrong with that frame other than it will bottom on the tie rod, and that's an easy fix.

I'm not one for the ultra low, ultra stepped, frame scraping rods, but to each his own.

I don't know who pissed in Doc and Seymour's Cheerios, but your welcome here in my book.

Later,

Rich

3. hsheartaches

hsheartaches

Guys, guys, guys!!! Damn...I thought hot rodding was also about having fun, and not getting shit on everytime because you have some ideas that run across your mind and you throw them out there. I didn't think that there was some kind of special "code book" you had to follow to have fun w/ hot rods. Damn...let it die. Camel, keep working through it. These guys just like to get yer feathers ruffled up a bit....they'll back off soon enough...hopefully. :)

4. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Homer......Homer Simpson? hahahaha

5. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Maybe in name alone, Homer Simpson?? Sheesh, is there no culture here??
    ;) :rolleyes:

To build or not to build, that is the question,
    To tear of virgin steel, and meld of imagination wild.
    Fabricate a chassis do. That works and drives true.
    Then to sink the beer so cold. In a challenge true,
    So to watch Fur Biscuit, fall drunk to the floor.

Doc.

6. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

7. LoungeLife

LoungeLife
    from Tulsa

mmmmmm - hot rods -

8. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, but your going to ask questions and do it right. Therein lays the difference.
    I'm just sick of things like this being seen all over the place, it’s a Rat Rod. People see that, then when they see a traditional rod they think 'Oh, rat rod' I’m sick of people calling my car a RAT.
    Like I said, I joined here to enjoy real HOT RODS, not rat rods.
    I’m not normally cranky, if you read any of my posts outside of this thread you will see that.
    Doc.

HotRodDrummer likes this.
  9. Kilroy

Kilroy
    from Orange, Ca

Etc................

10. Kilroy

Kilroy
    from Orange, Ca

Maybe I don't need to say any more but...

Mini trucks may be cool or not or whatever but I wouldn't trot them out like a 'Portfolio' or something on a trad hot rod forum...

I didn't really see any need for that...

You obviously have a fairly good idea of how to build a basic frame. You just need to think more about STRENGTH.

Ask some direct questions...

Aside from all that...

TRYING to build a "Rat Rod"
    Is like TRYING to be mentally retarded... ('Mentally Challenged' just doesn't mean the same thing)

11. LoungeLife

LoungeLife
    from Tulsa

12. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

HUH?

13. hsheartaches

hsheartaches

He's knockin' us because we're not older HAMBers...I'm assuming.

14. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

And your knockin me about Homer??? hahahahahha (btw, I know who HOMER is):D
    DUH!

15. I wouldn't have any problem telling boyd his TV show makes him and his crew look like bafoons, and his brown dyed beard looks silly on a guy his age, but some how I don't think my opinion would really impress him much.
    As for this thread, I'm surprized it lasted this long. I think cutting off rockers and dragging your truck on the ground is stupid. I don't like big time wrestling either. Pretty much the same thing in my book. But hey it's a free country, do what makes you feel good. If everyone liked Stude pick ups I'd have an even harder time finding parts!
    Build a clown car if you want. Just don't expect acceptance on a board dedicated to TRADITIONAL rods.

16. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, if he is talking about time in the H.A.M.B. just what the fuck has that to do with anything? If he has been building cars since the 50s yeah that relevent. But time on a web site?? If thats all you got, your in trouble!

17. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

great quote! truely classic. :D :eek: :cool:

18. Killer

Killer

what was the name of your shop in Cali?

what are you gonna use to lift the front and how do you plan to set that up??

I know you already have one cut and your getting ready to weld in it right now.. the front of the front z needs a gussett under there also... and plate the ends of the rails at the front.

an airbag mount for the front spring perch makes me laugh... cause its what you have and it'll work fine!

ya know, it kinda scares me to think what would've been if there would've been an internet when I started building cars... maybe I woulda posted pictures of the crap I was trying to learn on... and a buncha keyboard jockeys who haven't shown shit they've built themselves but boy can they run at the fuckin mouth might've made me think twice bout building cars...

man I'm glad that didn't happen.

and Doc says fuck too much.

some of my best friends are mini truckers.

19. 8flat

8flat

Holy shit, I'm NEVER going to start my own thread....

HAHAHAHAHA

Sincerely, Gary the FNG, JoinDate: yesterday

20. Goozgaz

Goozgaz

GO SPIDER!!!!!!!!!

My 2 centavos.... when your one paint it orange!

21. oktr6r

oktr6r
    from Tulsa

Friendly advice? Ditch the air bag idea, it doesn't fit the look of a rat rod. If he's gonna bag it, might as well dress the engine up with billet, add a fancy paint job, some Foose wheels (or is that rims?), and low profile tires. Damn, now it's not a rat rod, gonna have to find another popular label for it.

22. 8flat

8flat

But be careful, that advice might get him accosted by a big tough member of the Australian Special Forces....lol

23. seymour

seymour
    from PNW

hahah

24. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

i think he is an ex-pat...

25. man,,, after reading all this I almost don't feel "traditional" enough. Personally speaking Camel, I like the fact that you are building something that is pissing other people off (that's what "traditional" rod's did in the first place didn't they). I also like to see peoples idea's and you said it right about a frame being a couple pieces of steel, if it doesn't work, build another one, not the end of the world. With that being said, you're non traditional approach may not be accepted by a lot of the closed minds here (Hey Doc and Seymore, you guys better go flame the guy asking about TBI fuel injection in the other thread, I don't think it's 50's era correct)

Man, I wish you guys would just have some fun here, that's what this is all about.

26. Fink

Fink
    from SoCal

Wow 8flat you hit the nail on the head, I'm new here(but I've been reading here for a few months) and I sure as hell dont want to write my own thread either.
    Seems like all these cynical old farts do is pick apart everything this poor kid does! I never saw anything that said we could only discuss "TRADITIONAL" rods. Camel never said he wanted advice on how to build a "TRADITONAL" rod he is just new and wanted some feedback as far as I can see. And hes not done and showing off, hes just asking for suggestions with the process. Maybe the older folks should put on their glasses and read "that there computer thingy" in front of them more carefully. He specifically asked for suggestions not criticism or comments to leave the forum ( quote "dont let the door hit you on the way out") With the way he has been treated just because he has new ideas you would think he was practicing witchcraft!
    As far as minituck style who knows what that is in a rod? Hes not trying to start a new fad (as someone put it) hes just building something unique so hes not at a show blending in with the rest of you. And as far as advertising goes if you guys actually fabricated your own rods or didnt copy a design out of a "TRADITONAL" manual you would want to put your name on it too!
    SO GET OFF HIS BACK! No matter what style you do Camel, know that atleast your keepin kustomizing alive even though its not traditional. If they dont like your new ways then let their traditions die with them!
    There I feel better...

27. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

i pass gas in your general direction...:D

28. Frizby

Frizby
    from Cisco, Il

Fucking great post, real opinions, heated debate, kind of what a message board should be. To much ass kissing on here some times. Great entertainment if nothing else. Sounds like some of our late nights in the garage. It's your car build it the way you want, and drive it as much as possible, period! Good luck! FRIZ

29. AHotRod

AHotRod

DRAMA

DRAMA

DRAMA

DRAMA

DRAMA

DRAMA

:cool: :rolleyes: :( :mad:

30. snortonnorton

snortonnorton
    from Florida

oh, i apoligize then for being wrong. I thought there were more flatheads because i guess i got lucky. (just found a running 59a pulled from a running 51 truck in sarasota) it is complete from carb to pan for 200.00

is that not normal?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.