Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Heater Core Help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by minnesota68, Feb 1, 2019.

1. minnesota68

minnesota68
    from There

I recently bought a 1950 Ford F1. Older restoration, but in good condition overall.

[​IMG]

I need to replace the heater core, but cant seem to identify it. Can any of you help?

Heater
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks in advance.

2. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

I'm sure you'll get a better reply than mine, but over the years on old cars we have is take the old heater core with you to a good auto parts store that will let you look through their inventory to find one that size or close enough to fit. Then at home measure tubes, location,etc.
    Cut tubes and use union couplings to sweat pipes together.
    You'll have a new heater core with those heater hose attachment pipes in same location.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

3. Bill Rinaldi

Bill Rinaldi

I tryed to have my leaking core repaired but it was really shot. Radiator guy (it was at an older local radiator shop) pulls out a catalog and matched core size perfectly, after receiving the new core he soldered up the neccesary fittings. Works perfect. Try a local radiator shop. Bill Rinaldi

jazz1, Boneyard51 and minnesota68 like this.
  4. squirrel

squirrel

You might be better off working on trying to identify the entire heater, rather than just the core. Use google to search for original heaters for your truck, and see if they look the same. If not, you'll have to figure out what the heater is from. It might be that you'd be better off replacing the entire heater, if its not original. Posting more pictures of the assembled heater might help others here identify it for you. And if it is original, it's old enough that you probably will have to get the core "recored", at considerable expense, because they just don't make them any more.

jimgoetz and minnesota68 like this.

5. goldmountain

goldmountain

Any good radiator shop should be able to recore
    that. The round ones are near impossible to find cores for.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

$225 to re-core the heater in my 46 Merc in beautiful downtown Chattanooga, TN

7. I'll add to the 'radiator shop' chorus. It's been a lot of years since I did one, but there was no issues and not all that expensive. The replacement aftermarket ones (if you can find one) aren't as well built IMO...

8. X-cpe

X-cpe

It used to be that re-coring radiators and heater cores was the cheap way out and there were plenty of places that did it.

9. squirrel

squirrel

there isn't any place in town that I know of that can recore a heater core these days. there used to be two, years ago.

10. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

I have a couple of them, and had one in my F1 until the core failed in that one as well. No new core available that I know, but there is a company that sells the heater core blocks in different sizes so it can be fixed. Not cheap, I will be switching to an aftermarket unit. There is a guy that restores heaters over at the ford truck enthusiast forums, post there and I am sure he will post the name of the company.

657.JPG

11. minnesota68

minnesota68
    from There

I was able to take it to a local radiator shop and he fixed it for $20. It was leaking around the seam. Hopefully it will last for a while!

harpo1313 likes this.
  12. squirrel

squirrel

that's good! if the core is leaking inside, it's generally not repairable. If a tank is loose, sometimes they can fix them. But it's a sign that the solder inside is probably also getting tired, so it might not last too long.

13. jimgoetz

jimgoetz

I had a 52 at one time and a guy with a super nice 100% stock one saw the heater in mine and went nuts over it. According to him all the truck heaters were dealer installed options so there was various different makes used. He said the one I had was a factory installed one and very rare ? He asked me what I wanted for it and I told him I just wanted a heater that worked because my truck was far from stock anyway. If he wanted to swap it out for me he could have it. He seemed very excited about it but I never heard back from him. I never found out if his story was BS or not.