Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods What the what?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bct, Jan 31, 2019.

1. bct

bct

20190131_114705.jpg

Anyone got info on this gem

Stogy, Max Gearhead and kidcampbell71 like this.
  2. bct

bct

the picture came from a hop up book by Clymer . 51 or 53 . tube chassis too.

Stogy likes this.
  3. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

I would like to see more pictures......

Stogy likes this.
  4. oldolds

oldolds

Now you did it! The Traditional Police will be at your door tomorrow to collect all those pics of cars that do not conform! :eek: No help on that car. Info on the Cord? Behind it might be cool too.

Stogy, gimpyshotrods and Hnstray like this.

5. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

tube shocks, IFS, underslung, no front brakes that I can see, flatty powered, air cooled,
    I'd paint "blasphemy" and the number 666 on the door. Probably has cup holders :cool:

Stogy, patmanta, XXL__ and 5 others like this.
  6. The front suspension makes my head hurt, have to look away.o_O

VANDENPLAS and loudbang like this.
  7. loudbang

loudbang

Same car??? Sure looks like it.

74.JPG

Stogy, mad mikey and kidcampbell71 like this.
  8. Looks like a "T" frame swapped end to end to achieve the under-slung effect, transverse leaf spring on top of cross-member.

9. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

:eek: ......Yeah!! We got No Tolerance for independent thinkers here!! or.....errr 'there' either.......:D

(Looks like inspired by Studebaker 'Planar' suspension design...from late '30s, only with the spring on top)

Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
  10. redo32

redo32

The Cord was Don Montgomery, he ran it at the lakes in 1952 with Buick straight eight. Later ran a Jimmy 6.

[​IMG]

11. ............Think that's a different car.

12. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

And Washington plates!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  13. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

PlanarSuspension3.jpg might be some Studebaker bits in that front suspension there.

14. rudestude

rudestude

Looks like a T frame with the front cross member flipped over...thats what I did with mine..and the rear of the frame is z'd and I used a piece of another T frame for the step so that it all flowed together ...and and I know about the steering ...it will be on the back side when finished....and no the frame is not flipped or swapped end for end ...springs are T axles are A.... 20160427_171102.jpeg IMG_20161113_095558.jpeg IMG_20161113_095121.jpeg

Sent from my QTASUN1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Spring over IFS was common in brit sports cars in the 50s. In fact even the 60s Cobras used it. I suspect the builder of that car had a subscription to Road and Track as well as Hot Rod.

Capture 1x-31-fs.JPG

rod1, Stogy, mad mikey and 7 others like this.
  16. Fordors

Fordors

studebakerjoe's post shows a Planar front suspension, it was also used by Jeep, and probably others as well. A friend had a '49 Willys Jeepster that used that front end.
    The lakes roadster has what looks to be a home brewed variation of the Planar concept, but the Planar has a leaf spring on bottom and upper control arms. The roadster setup looks pretty sketchy but hey, in the 1940's there was a lot of experimentation going on. I'd call it traditional. Heck, it ran at the lakes 70 some years ago on a hot rod, so why not?

17. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

Fordors, im thinking the builder may have flipped the knuckles over to use that spring up top instead of the bottom as Studebaker and Willys did.

18. bct

bct

the recent searches I did on this topic here quickly turned to European car tech.

Stogy, mad mikey and loudbang like this.
  19. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

That top photo gives new meaning to the term " SUICIDE FRONTEND!

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  20. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Looks like the stude front end above flipped upside down and custom lower arms instead of the original arms. Exchanging stamped arms for tube arms and tie rod end pivots.

21. rudestude

rudestude

22. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

23. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think I might have a pic of that and also raised a question about something being way ahead of it's time...cool shot that is because it's all exposed...I'll look for that pic....

lothiandon1940 and loudbang like this.
  24. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That has those strange perches that were posted in that Plymouth on a 40 Ford frame thread...

25. bct

bct

" a successful experiment in sprint car design, this rig has turned well over 120 mph in 1/4 mile, from a standing start. A tubular frame and unique IFS system are featured. Engine is an over - bored Mercury , uses nitro methane as fuel. note the lack of radiator"

caption
    how to hop up ford and mercury engines

loudbang, Hnstray and Stogy like this.
  26. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@bct...Here it is...I was as baffled as you...and I love the art...it may have been a message to the non believers...;)

[​IMG]

Pic posted by @loudbang

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/drag-cars-in-motion-picture-thread.228509/page-1769

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/friday-art-show-04-20-2018.1104779/page-2#post-12535990

I posted this in the Friday Art show due to the humorous nose-art on cardboard and while studying it I noticed the front suspension looked independent and being a T it would have normally been a beam transverse sprung front end. This was identified as a Blair Speed Shop entry with Dyno Don Nicholson involved in its construction.

I would suspect it would have been rare to see this on a Hotrod racer of this type much like Ak's Hotrod above...
    but the pictures elude a pretty innovative entry.

Perhaps @loudbang and @296ardun
    or anyone else who has knowledge of this particular racer
    may be able to shed some light on what is under that cardboard...

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...genized-hotrods.1002926/page-62#post-12537299

27. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks pretty good doesn't it...;)...what's great about what you found was it actually explains what I was asking...very cool.

@Rockerhead could also shed some light on this...heck he probably took the pics...wonder if there were others that followed?

28. bct

bct

the guy with his tongue out pretty much sums it all up.

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  29. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I wonder if SPL on the top Cardboard panel was a class?...as in special and it sure was...;)

30. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Rootie you got me snooping with your suggestion of an offshore connection which by the early to mid 1950s when this image is likely period correct to...may have been an option

My first hit was an Alvis...which had a very similar suspension with origins around 1934...

ifs-article-by-smith-clarke-1933-motor.jpg
    I thought despite looking like a possible winner it seemed a little heavier than what we're looking for...and there wasn't any frontal pics to see the lower struts and where they mounted...

I searched on and came across this...

speedex3.jpg

https://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/speedex.htm

This is a page of Speedex aftermarket parts for British application to a pretty sizable road racing market which still flourishes even today...

I suspect in the 50's it was probably available in some manner to North America just as the cars themselves were...

So perhaps in land speed, racing and even good Ole Hotrod this stuff was in the mix...and Don Blair being around the culture of Racing perhaps saw this suspension and applied it to his own purposes...is it a Speedex unit...I'm thinking it is...they had 2 types one wider than the other...

There is a chance it's not but it sure as heck looks like it...

@rudestude and the others suggesting a flipped crossmember are also correct in identifying how this went together...

Last edited: Sep 27, 2023
    Ned Ludd and lothiandon1940 like this.