Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects K & N Air Filter

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by captaintaytay, Jun 20, 2015.

1. I have one of those crappy dried out paper chrome air filter assemblies that restrict on my 8BA, with a Holley 94.
    I heard some guys use a K & N filter element with your set up.
    I'm looking for a part number or a direct place that would have them.
    I would like to just purchase the element only if possible.
    Thanks.

2. indyjps

indyjps

3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

post pic of air filter housing

4. I can't get my camera to upload right now.
    I got this pic off the web, exact one.
    It's also in my avatar.
    $_35.jpg

5. indyjps

indyjps

Can you measure the filter on your car? Height, inner diameter, outer diameter.

6. Summit racing. PM if you need the number the guy on the other end of the phone will fix you up without a part number if you have a size to give him.

mad mikey likes this.
  7. john walker

john walker

Hold a K&N up to a light and check out all the tiny holes in it that will pass fine particles. Paper for me.

Greenblade, Boneyard51 and squirrel like this.
  8. If you keep it oiled it helps. ;)

There is a fine line between restrictive and air clean enough to run one without major damage. There are actually some better filters out there than the K&N especially if you have to survive extreme conditions but the K&N works well enough for most streeters. When I was spending serious time back road and off road in the '80s I used a K&N and a foam cover. They were both washable and that put me in a good place financially.

mad mikey, nunattax, Deuces and 3 others like this.
  9. Thanks a lot for the link "indyjps" found a part# real quick. (RU2630)

10. Thanks a lot for the insight, I used to run the K&N's on my street bikes back in the day.
    My buddy's and I would put nylons over the filters, worked real well.
    Also did it on our TQ midget car.

Deuces likes this.
  11. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

K&N
    E-9025 is 2.781" high, 3.781 O.D., 2.844 I.D.
    E-3120 is 2" high, 3.875 O.D., 2.875 I.D.

captaintaytay likes this.
  12. squirrel

squirrel

If you want to deal with oil and have poor filtering, along with a traditional look, find an original old oil bath air cleaner

Greenblade and belair like this.
  13. Thanks Mike, I like the E-9025 can still use my housing also with either one

14. mammyjammer

mammyjammer
    from Area 51

only thing I can add is K&N provides great customer service !

15. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

in his "335 hp flathead ford v-8 performance handbook," joe abbin cautions that those high-flow filters will let quite a bit more dirt through. probably ok for your app, but he said on a tow truck with a 302, the filter passed an extra pound of dirt in 12,000 miles!

Boneyard51 likes this.
  16. The K&N was originally designed for racing applications and was adopted by the hi performance street crowd sometime after that. It is not the dirt that passes through the filter that is your enemy it is the kind of dirt that passes though the filter that is your enemy. What you use for a filter is dependent on your application, in extreme sandy conditions I would probably not use just a K&N Filter and even K&N offers a sock to go over their filter for the off road crowd. Around town and along the highway if I lived where there were no dust or sand storms the K&N would suit be just fine for instance.

if I made frequent trips from here in KC to the west coast I would be looking for a high flow paper element or get a sock for the current cloth reusable filter I am running. I have been caught in more then one dust storm between here and there in the last 40+ years. ;)

seb fontana and mad mikey like this.
  17. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

I think I'd rather have a K&N filter that passes small particles on an occasionally-driven hobby car than have a restrictive paper element that chokes-off performance. Those little paper filters are infamous for causing all kinds of tuning challenges.
    Alternatives? Yes, a huge paper element would probably be best.

Deuces likes this.
  18. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Bump. I have a K&N on my daily, it was new and free. :) My driveway is dirt and long so, despite how well it filters on my tired SBC at least I can wash it. Witch I have just done for the first time. As I gather you are supposed to use their soap and their oil. Don't have either, but it looks pretty clean now. What's the deal with their oil? Can I just use ATF, WD40, motor oil, bar oil, 2 stroke oil, vegetable oil? Got all that.

loudbang likes this.
  19. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

I would avoid the vegetable oil for starters, as it will go rancid and polymerize.

XXL__ likes this.
  20. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I run a K&N filter and love it. I cleaned it this fall and put their oil on it too. I didn't see any holes in the filter that dirt could go through. I have no idea about using other products to clean and oil their filter, and wouldn't try anything else on it. They engineered and manufactured the filter so they should know what to use to maintain it.

21. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Information I've seen on K&N, or washable foam filters, is not good. They may flow well when brand new, but as they start to collect particulate matter that drops considerably, to where eventually a paper element will outflow them. They also perform worse than paper elements at removing particulates, allowing them in to the engine where they cause wear to the piston rings and cylinder walls, then end up in the oil where they cause more damage as it is pumped through the engine.

Truckdoctor Andy and Boneyard51 like this.
  22. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

A K&N filter is made of oiled layered cotton media, so it will filter better. The oil helps to trap dirt

loudbang likes this.
  23. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Better than what? They are pretty poor at removing particulates, about the worst filter you can buy at that.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Truckdoctor Andy and 29AVEE8 like this.
  24. Amen! I would not use a K&N filter on anything! If you have a late model GM car and it goes in for runability problems and they pull out a K&N, your Mass Airflow Sensor warranty is null and void.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Blues4U likes this.
  25. yellow dog

yellow dog
    from san diego

MAS will fail with oil passed on from filter

26. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I also would not put a oil mesh type filter on any engine I cared about. I took the paper filter off my motocross bike and put the oil mesh filter directly onto the carb flange. Use their oil, followed instructions. Had to rering my bike every other race. Took the filter off and ran my finger inside the carb came up with a finger full of grit.
    Put the paper filter back on and ran the bike for two years without a rering job. Proved to me they were junk. But people love them and they sell a bunch of them. I laugh a people that say the save money by washing those filters, if you have to clean that filter, it means your in a dirty environment and you may save money on the filter but it’s going to cost you an engine.
    Biggest hype job in the industry! Suckers

Bones

Truckdoctor Andy, Blues4U and 29AVEE8 like this.
  27. yellow dog

yellow dog
    from san diego

I probably wouldn't attempt an Airaid or K&N style filter in a dirty environment. However anecdotally my shop/tow truck now has accumulated 190K w/ a K&N and still pulls hard. Haven't checked compression since ~150K, but was only down ~10 then. Anyway the required airflow is an important parameter in designing any filtration and isn't addressed in the above chart.

28. badvolvo

badvolvo

Don't know, but I can tell you I have had a K&N on my OT Rubicon for 135,000 miles, she still runs like new and does not use oil. It's not a daily, gets more off road miles than on road the last 10 years. My wife's turbocharged daily has one as well, it's 14 years old now, still going strong. So two cars, about 250k and a total of 4 air filters, the originals and K&N. I have run them on my drag cars, but they get tore down every few years.
    I'm sure you can filter the air better than a K&N but I am pleased with my results.
    They don't look very traditional though.

loudbang likes this.
  29. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Any idea where these charts came from?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

30. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I have had the K&N on my convertible for st least 3 years now and I have never seen any grit on the choke blades or anywhere else on the carb

loudbang and seb fontana like this.