Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical SBC Ram Horn dimensions

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by bridgemillroaddevil, Oct 30, 2018.

1. Hello!

I am considering putting ramhorn exhaust manifolds on my 350 chevy in my build, but I don't know if they are going to fit because of the steering box.

Can someone please give me some dimensions of their ram horn manifolds, because I don't want to buy them if they are not going to fit.

Someone who has ram horn manifolds with the straight 2" outlet, please measure the distance from the middle bolts (that are holding the manifold to the cylinder heads) down to the flange where the exhaust pipe are connected.

Thanks in advance!

Best regards
    David

2. just measured 3-3/4"

loudbang likes this.
  3. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

XXL__ likes this.
  4. Thanks for the replies!

I am currently running 70's log manifolds.
    Is there going to be a different exhaust sound with the ram horns?

Best regards
    David

5. It should sound the same with the ram horns, or not enough for my old ears to tell a difference. They should flow better than the drop-a-log style.

loudbang likes this.
  6. Hello!

I can't get the ram horns to fit on the 350 SBC in my 1956 Cadillac. Because the exit on the ram horns ends just an inch above the steering gear.

Do you guys know some old school looking exhaust manifolds for sbc with the exit at the rear of the engine?

Best regards
    David

7. squirrel

squirrel

maybe you could post a few pictures of the engine sitting in there, with the steering box in the way, so we can see what you're dealing with.

lawman likes this.
  8. Bill Nabors

Bill Nabors

Chevy has numerous ram horn manifolds or ramhorn type manifolds that point in different directions. Some point back, or back and in, and you can reverse them as well. I keep a pile if them for different setups.

porknbeaner likes this.
  9. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I don't usually promote them but if you aren't dead set on OEM manifolds you may consider the "tight tuck" style of exhaust header. There are a number of brands on the market and some have different exit locations.

10. Do you know which application that had the ram horns that point back and in?
    Can you upload a picture of them?

11. squirrel

squirrel

I've only seen the one that angles back, as used on 67-72 trucks....

72 mnifold.jpg

Chavezk21 likes this.
  12. 55 Ford Gasser

55 Ford Gasser

This is the one I'm using on my '57 Nomad. I tried new ones from Speedway and couldn't even get them in between head and steering box. I'm using 500 series box.

13. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

These are off of 64-67 Novas.
    [​IMG]

Chavezk21 and squirrel like this.
  14. Same as a '65 to '70 Impala/ Belair. But takes bracket attachments at the front.

15. squirrel

squirrel

The full size cars used an angled manifold on only one side, eh?

16. I believe only the Chevy II and Nova (up to 1967) had the angle on both sides. The years I mentioned for the big cars the passenger-side was straight.

17. squirrel

squirrel

Trucks had angled on both sides. I think you're right about the cars.

18. I know the trucks '60 to '64 were straight on both sides, maybe as late as '66. I went headers on my '65 C30 with the SBC swap.

19. squirrel

squirrel

trucks went to angled manifolds in 67 when they moved the engine forward....

20. I thought so. I was looking at a lot of different manifolds on my latest swap. Dorman makes a good set of truck ram horns manifolds.

21. Here is a picture with the log manifold that I'm currently running. And you can see that the steering box is about 1 3/4" beneath the manifold.

Best regards
    David

Attached Files:

22. enigma57

enigma57

My son has a '92 Camaro. Camaro and Firebird from late '80s through '92 used a log style manifold that fits above plugs and drops exhaust around the same place as your below plug log manifold. Available in wrecking yard or aftermarket Dorman 674-519 or ATP 101259......

https://www.summitracing.com/search...nifolds/year/1992/make/chevrolet/model/camaro

Not sure if this will give you additional clearance or not......

[​IMG]
    '93 - '97 LT1 manifolds are upswept over plugs, but drop in about the same place as the '92 and earlier 3rd gen. F-body manifold pictured above. This is what they look like with the tin heat shields in place.......

[​IMG]

https://www.hawksmotorsports.com/exhaust-manifolds-93-97-lt1-5-7-camaro-firebird-per-side/

You can see what they look like without tin heat shields here......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=6&v=xJxmQtt8qyg

The manifolds below are for a '55 - '56 Chevy V-8. Very compact, but also very restrictive. Many moons ago, I ported a set of these to fit 327 461 camel hump heads and I can tell you for a fact that they do not flow as well as stock '57 and later ramshorn manifolds. Exhaust drops near front of drivers side manifold on stock '55 - '56 Chevy V-8......

http://www.2040-parts.com/56-chevy-...ust-manifolds-bel-air-nomad-biscayne-i504201/

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-55-56-...691888?hash=item488d9f97f0:g:eyYAAOSwYmZXLNco

[​IMG]

If you do not need the generator mount holes, you can run a RH manifold on drivers side......

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-55-56-...HAUST-MANIFOLD-RIGHT-RH-3704792-/112297218626

[​IMG]

Hope this gives you some ideas,

Harry

squirrel likes this.
  23. 29moonshine

29moonshine

the 64-7 nova is shorter and turns back to the block tighter. [hard to find and not cheap]

Chavezk21 likes this.
  24. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Roger that, as you probably know, they have been that way for many years.
    I bought a 1967 Nova 283 engine many years ago (dissasembled) just for the exhaust manifolds, paid $200 for it, kept the manifolds and a few odds and ends and sold it for $225.
    There is a pair on "that auction site" for like $750:eek:, advertised as L79's, what a dick, they are exactly the same as those from a 283.

25. Thanks for all the help guys!

Someone who have this kind of ram horn manifold https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/rnb-674-201

Please measure the distance from the middle bolts (that are holding the exhaust manifold to the cylinder head) down to the lowest part of the flange where the exhaust pipe are connected.

Best regards
    David

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
  26. fordcoupeguy

fordcoupeguy

I put a big block chev in my 56 Cad and that was the most difficult challenge . I finally used Headman block huggers for tri5 chev and swiched side to side. Had to mount the rad in front of the support. You would think these cars would have lots of room under the hood but they really don't.

27. I would suggest considering these sanderson cast headers QP 1000 in your application for several benefits. Ceramic coating, straight and angle plug type, 2-1/2” collector
    They come up for sale occasionally brand new at less than a pair of 62-67 nova rams horns usually sell for and come in various models. Detailed sizing specs are available online.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
  28. fortynut

fortynut

Balls! I like Ram's Horn manifolds even when you don't have the space. They quiten exhaust noise under the hood of a daily driven street beater. So, don't wimp out and use anything else. There is a Ram's Horn manifold that was designed for the right side that arcs back. You have to saw the cast bracket off the front and romance it, (for looks). Use this on the left side, it arcs forward. Use a tightly turned mandrel-bent exhaust tubing to reverse the direction of the exhaust, and you're in business. I used this set up to run a Cadillac Saginaw power steering box on a 1937 Ford Coupe I built. It's worth looking for, and worth using. I like the fact you don't have to worry about replacing gaskets all the time, like you do with convenience headers.

olscrounger likes this.
  29. I like 'em turned upside down and stacks run through the hood. :rolleyes:

pecker head likes this.