Register now to get rid of these ads!

tips on z'ing a frame

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by deuceniner, Mar 23, 2007.

1. deuceniner

deuceniner

I am fairly new to hot rods and am building my first. Its a '29 model a roadster. I am at the point where I am ready to box and Z the stock model a frame. Anyone have any good tips/suggestions, and/or pics for me?? I mostly need help with the z'ing part. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

2. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Get a copy of Vern Tardel's book "How to build a Traditional Ford Hotrod".

3. Use the search function to search for "How to build a hotrod frame" its by Brian Angus & has the needed info. for you to calculte your cutting angles to z a frame. Also has the calc's needed to determine the length of the slope so you know exactly how long of tube you need & where exactly to start the angle cut depending on whether your using a 45 or 60 degree angle.

That whole post has about everything needed. Sorry I couldn't post a link here. Haven't figured that one out yet.
    Carl Hagan

kidcampbell71 likes this.

4. deuceniner

deuceniner

Thanks Carl, Brian has some great info for me. Much appreciated.
    I got copy of Vern Tardel's book "How to build a Traditional Ford Hotrod" and that has some good stuff in it as well. Thanks for all the help guys.

5. send_it_all

send_it_all

Where in fullerton are you deuce?....Im doing a job at Malverne and Richman.

6. fireluvr

fireluvr

Here is a good article...

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/1003rc-ford-model-a-frame/

Sent from my SM-G965U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

It really depends on how much you are going to Z the frame. I usually cut the frame at a angle just in front of the rear crossmember brackets. I then just stack the frame keeping the same length as original and fab up some metal fillers . Then I will box the outer frame rails by the Z including the metal fillers. This will give you about a 4 inch drop and don’t have to chop up the model a subrails and just notch.

Attached Files:

8. That is a very good pictorial explaination.

9. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Thanks D
    I forgot to add then you can box the area on both sides. I figured if I have a pic of that it would cover everything up:D