Register now to get rid of these ads!

292 GMC-Worth rebuilding?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gearjam1, Jul 25, 2007.

1. paintman27

paintman27
    from new jersey

My vote is for the 292. But I guess thats because I have one in my garage.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]t

kidcampbell71 and Hnstray like this.
  2. paintman27

paintman27
    from new jersey

3. sunbeam

sunbeam

If a 62cc 194 head were used on a 292 with flat top pistons and .040 quench you are looking at over 12 to 1 compression

4. Did any of the people that said "sucks as an engine to build up" know why or were they just talking? Try asking them for specifics, there may be some. I admit I don't know but I always liked the saying "you can't beat cubic inches".

Charlie Stephens

anthony myrick likes this.
  5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

From my experience it is the same bunch down at the spit and Whittle club who claim that the only suspension swap you can do under an old car is and S-10 frame swap. Odd thing is that none of them have ever done a successful frame swap and few if any have ever built any kind of engine. Same ones asked me why the hell I would want to put a flathead in my Model A when a 350 Chevy was so cheap to do.
    a few years back one of my buddies called me and said "I've got something for you, get down here with your truck. He didn't say what just that I needed it. It turned out to be a 68 292 out of a truck that another friend of his had bought in Seattle and driven back to Sunnyside adding oil on a regular basis because it leaked oil every place an engine can leak oil but ran strong as all get out. The guy got to his place, and pulled the engine as he already had a V8 sitting on the stand to go in the truck.
    That is the most expensive free engine I have ever had. Finned aluminum valve cover and side covers from 12 Bolt Tom. One of the last sets of cast 292 headers/manifolds that Tom Landgon sold before he turned all of his 194/292 stuff over to 12 bolt Tom in an effort to down size and slow down a bit only doing the early six cylinder stuff. Aussie Speed 4 barrel intake that might be way too big in the runners but looks cool. Cam is to be decided but it will be hydraulic and the head will get lump ports. It goes in front of an AX15 5 speed out of a 97 Dakota with a 360 using a Novak adapter. I actually made money on the trans by selling the 360 bellhousing for over twice what I paid for the trans and the adapter only cost me 100 bucks out of pocket when all was said and done. That is going in the 48 in place of the dead 250 that is in it now.
    I've got to get the truck done so I can make the road trip to Roundup while we are still up to a road trip of that length. Wife is from Central Texas (McGregor) and it is a trip home to see family for her along with hopefully seeing some friends from years past and getting to play hot rod.

anthony myrick likes this.
  6. I have several 292,s However they are torque engines and will out pull most small blocks but use a lot of fuel. In something I drive on a regular basis I prefer a 250. 292 also had larger bolts attaching the flywheel.

7. sunbeam

sunbeam

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
  8. ...tell Jack Stirneman (sp)that you can't make em work,..this car ran in the 10's if not high nines, blew away V8's easily,..but I spose lots of $ helped,..
    I've got a stock 292 in my latest project, a 55 Chev p.u.,...haven't driven it yet but everybody says "you'll like that 292" even if they are a little thirstier than the 250's...
    cordova 08 071.jpg cordova 08 075.jpg cordova 08 072.jpg cordova 08 073.jpg

gsnort and kidcampbell71 like this.
  9. Troutpeak

Troutpeak

That a nice looking engine. What is that in? I have a 292 I’m thinking of rebuilding to go in my 1940’s deuce and a half. The engine bay has many similarities to yours. You guys are helping solidify my plans.

10. gsnort

gsnort
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A member of Inliners International, I've had a 292 in my '57 GMC 100 pickup truck for over 10 years. It has most of the bells and whistles and runs like a scalded dog. I drove it from Wisconsin to Syracuse, New York. Most folks along the way assumed a big block Chevy was under its hood. Surprise!