Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Considering putting a '50 Buick grill in my '47 Ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BigO, Jan 23, 2019.

1. 31Apickup

31Apickup

46-48 Olds grills look good in 46-48 Fords if you really want to change the front.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

sidevalve8ba and DrivenDead like this.
  2. In my way of thinking a custom should look like all the parts belong there, and that's why I chose this grill, I've wanted to do a custom look with a '46-'48 Ford that was over looked back in the day, thats the reason for this post. Thanks guys.

adam401 likes this.
  3. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

A 47 was my first hotrod, I'm not a big fan of 37-48 ford customs. I think your car looks killer with its patina and stance. I'd drive the shit outa that one.

4. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

how bout this...i think my favorite part is the bumper and the turn signals? running lights? why not use the buick bumper then use chebby teeth? theyre uh perkier i guess? might balance it out more, that or the buick bumper with a horizontal bar grill? idk i love the bumper

BigO likes this.
  5. But that's what I'm trying to get away from, im looking at what might have been over looked in the past.

Spoggie and williebill like this.
  6. That's what I've been doing, as a car guy I always want too change things, that doesn't mean I will. Thats the reason for this post. Thanks for the compliment, I may just leave it alone.

scrap metal 48 likes this.
  7. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

could do buick bumper and this... Screenshot_20190123-172630_Google.jpg

8. Squablow

Squablow

'50 Buick is just under 80 inches wide, '46 Ford just over 73". So you're going to have to lose about 6 1/2" of width somewhere. The photoshop work is very good but I think the scale is off. I think once you get the bumper in front of the car you'll realize the whole thing is bigger than it appears in the photoshop picture. Not to say it couldn't be done, but it's not going to be a direct fit either.

As for the look of it, I don't like it, it looks forced to me, I'm not a fan of 50's car grilles on fat fendered cars. But that's just my opinion.

LBCD, Spoggie, zzford and 8 others like this.
  9. Looks too '50's to me, but thanks.

oliver westlund likes this.
  10. Thanks for the measurements , I felt that the Photoshop work was adjusted to fit the car (Not done by me) and that the Buick was wider. That helps a lot. You've been a big help, thanks so much.

RDR and scrap metal 48 like this.
  11. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

You have a good attitude about the whole thread.. That's rare here on the hamb.. I like the coupe the way it is but understand sometimes you just can't leave things along....

12. adam401

adam401

I feel the same way. I like customs to have flow and look like every modification compliments the overall look and nothing stands out by itself.
    I think the grill looks cool and works there. My point I guess originally ( ill try to articulate this better) was that the shape of the Buick and the Ford are so similar in the front that transplanting the grill almost looks like your cloning a Buick? If we were drinking beer together Id be able to make this make sense haha.
    I do think it looks cool.

Put it on there. Go with your gut. It'll be cool.

BigO likes this.
  13. ....Funny how that works. 3 beers and I can explain things so much better, 5 not so much.:eek:

14. Big, my 2 cents fwiw....the Buick just appears at first glance out of proportion to the rest of the car, too heavy looking if you will. Whatever you decide to do it represents a considerable amount of massaging and in the end I would be concerned with the possibility of having to rechrome some of the parts after cutting etc. Race chrome would be less and I see some folks are now nickle plating??? both of which leave a bit to be desired. Whatever.....good luck with your decision process.

BigO and Hnstray like this.
  15. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

It's not going to work. I know how big a '50 Buick is and how small a '47 Ford is. The photoshop is Bogus as the whole thing has been "tweaked" scaled down just enough to give the illusion of compatibility.

I think you are suffering from "I Own It Malaise" (meaning since you see it every day, familiarity breeds contempt) Even though you know you have good car, you have become board with it. There is a cure! Go to the kitchen sink. Wet your hands and face with cold water. With your now cold and wet right hand, slap the shit out of out the right side of your wet face. Now borrow the neighbor's Camry/Prius/minivan and take it around the block...Cured!

Seriously though, That's a really nice car.I want it. I'll trade you a garage full of projects for it.:rolleyes:

DANSLED, Spoggie, flatford39 and 3 others like this.
  16. rudestude

rudestude

At first I thought ya ...it could work, of course I really like Buicks, then the more I looked at it something just was not add in up...then the previous post summed it up ...the proportions of the Buick parts ...knowing how wide they are , I have owned several old Buicks, and once you removed what you would have to do to narrow it enough to fit it would not have the same look that you are seeing now...it would be bunched up and would not look right...if it could be done the way it looks in the picture then all it would need to finish off the front would be some of the Buick or Cadillac headlight rings or buckets that have the viser top part on them for that droopy eye lid look then lower it in the front more than the rear and then the car would look like it was stoned...you know that look someone has when there really stoned and you say to them ...hey you been smoking dope? and they look up at you and with that half ass grin and chunks of brownies, because they got the munchies, falling out of there mouth and say ..wwhhaatt... who's smoking dope..not me....... I'm just really drunk...man...

Sent from my QTASUN1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

BigO likes this.
  17. poco

poco
    from oklahoma

48 fords do not need a buick grill. Do not do it.

18. 19Fordy

19Fordy

The Buick grille makes the car look "front heavy" and gaudy.
    Keep it simple without the bling look that says "look at me".

zzford, Hombre and BigO like this.
  19. And the correct response is, "Thanks, I needed that." Thanks

flatford39, RDR and F-ONE like this.
  20. A BIG THANKS to all of your great comments, you've help me a lot and help me see this from a different point of view, she's staying the way she is. Thanks again, BigO.

RDR, KoolKat-57, lurker mick and 2 others like this.
  21. bangngears

bangngears
    from ofallon mo

Do it, its differant

oliver westlund and BigO like this.
  22. If you are trying to build your car into a custom stock is not custom so there is nothing wrong at looking for ways to customize it. If you are looking for something to change up just for the sake of something different then this is probably the best decision.

BigO likes this.
  23. or you can trade me your coupe for my 51 chevy and put the buick grille in that....

24. I love customs more than anything , I've had lots of hot rods but never a true custom that I've built from the beginning and was considering this to be my chance to go custom but I just don't want to build a "standard" custom from the 1950s. I was looking to find something that may have been over looked, I'm still going to explore the possibilities . Thanks

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
  25. PHEW!,..glad yer leavin it alone, it looks great as is,...

zzford, BigO and lurker mick like this.
  26. Lepus

Lepus

The 1950 Buick grill is one of my favorites, and I love customs. I think you should remove the original grill and position the '50 grill as close as possible to were it should be, maybe some cardboard to fill in spaces if needed Step back, and walk around it, and see if you still like the idea. It seems like it could be cool.

Spoggie, BigO and williebill like this.
  27. Thanks. Thats nice to hear, I know a lot of people are tired of the old patina look but thats just where she is right now .

lurker mick likes this.
  28. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Think it needs the 53 Buick style headlights with that grill?

BigO likes this.
  29. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

The 50 Buick grille seems to rat roddish to me. How about this. Scan0854.jpg

Spoggie, Okie Pete, BigO and 2 others like this.
  30. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Actually the Buick grille gives the car character. The original not so much.

Spoggie and BigO like this.