Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical '54 Ford Crestline small block crack

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rockin' Rob, Jan 21, 2019.

1. j3harleys

j3harleys

No you are good to. You will be happy be happy with it. Good luck on that block.

2. Rockin' Rob

Rockin' Rob

Hi guys. I have a pic of the 2 areas of problem for my lower engine block leak. To me, it looks like what ever the putty is is either starting to lift or flake. My plan is to grind it a down and identify where the cracks are and prep well and JB Weld it. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. I can't afford to pull the engine and replace it so I'm hoping this will work and keep me running for a good while. ***The area of patching is bottom of the block just in front of the starter area.

Attached Files:

3. Rockin' Rob

Rockin' Rob

4. BJR

BJR

Looks like your engine has a fungus!:eek:

5. Jeff Bohmann

Jeff Bohmann

Do you have access to dye penetrant? It’s a two part process where you spray on a red dye, let it sit for about ten minutes, wipe it clean, then spray a white paint like developer over the spot. If you have a crack it will bleed the red dye through the white developer and you will see the extent of the crack and or if there is a crack... if you don’t know what it is or have access, ask anybody you know that may be a welder. They use the stuff daily... at least the good ones do....at least if there is a crack in the area, you will know exactly where it is and the extent of the damage....