Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest 60 years ago tonight

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bird man, Jan 23, 2019.

1. Bird man

Bird man
    from Milwaukee

The Winter Dance Party kicked off in Milwaukee at the Eagle's Club.
    Just a little before my time.

2. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The day before the day after tomorrow, when the music died.

dana barlow, OG lil E and egads like this.
  3. Deuces

Deuces

Rest In Peace Buddy Holly, The Big Bopper and Ritchie Valens...... :(

4. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No kidding? 60 years...

Troopers, they were...pushing to get to the next gig.
    Too bad they couldn't have waited 'till the next day.

Deuces, OG lil E and chryslerfan55 like this.

5. It'll be 60 years on February 3rd.

Mick

Deuces likes this.
  6. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

It's been quite a few years ago, but they used to have a big thing in the Surf ballroom in Clear Lake. That's where the last concert was. There were 3 couples of us drove there and spent the weekend there, they had several era correct bands playing there. I don't know if they still do it, but if they do it's well worth it to check it out

wraymen, Deuces and lothiandon1940 like this.
  7. Moon50F3

Moon50F3

There’s a Buddy Holly tribute band playing at the Riverside Ballroom in Green Bay tomorrow nite. I actually think they come here every year about this time.

Pat

Deuces and lothiandon1940 like this.
  8. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

" rock and roll has been going downhill since Buddy Holly died" ...I'll bet the bulk of you know that quote!

pecker head likes this.
  9. At the Eagle's Club, they put on a great show, January 23, 1959. I don't have pictures, a camera was not in this teenagers budget, getting to the Winter Dance Party, stopping to buy beer and meeting chicks were at the top of the list that night. On Feb 3, 1959 the Dance Party became a sad memory.
    Curt R

10. DANCE PARTY TRIBUTES
    for Milwaukee Wis fans
    Winter Dance Party Tribute with Brett & The Dandys
    Venue
    Pabst Milwaukee Brewery & Taproom
    Admission is $8 at the door

1037 West Juneau Avenue, Milwaukee, WI 53233

Milwaukee, WI, US, 53233

Details
    Date:
    February 1

Time:
    08:30 pm - 10:30 pm

Click to Register: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/winter-dance-party-tribute-with-brett-the-dandys-tickets-54376239797
    Organizer
    Pabst Milwaukee Brewery & Taproom

Website: https://www.eventbrite.com/o/pabst-milwaukee-brewery-amp-taproom-17638323998

For Green Bay Wis fans
    RIVERSIDE BALLROOM

• 1560 Main St., Green Bay, WI 54302,
    • (920) 432-5518
    JANUARY 25, 2019
    Tribute to Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens and the Big Bopper - $30.00
    This tribute show is a sell out every year! This is the 60th anniversary! Get your tickets early.
    Doors: 6:00
    Show: 7:30
    General admission only.

Curt R

stillrunners likes this.
  11. background info for the unknowing. Shamelessly taken off of the internet by someone.

Buddy Holly's death is usually associated with Clear Lake, Iowa, where he played his final concert on Feb. 3, 1959. The pioneering rocker chartered a small plane to get to his next date, bringing along tour mates Ritchie Valens and the Big Bopper. They went down in a snowstorm a tragedy known as the Day the Music Died.

Though the crash site is in Iowa, Wisconsin plays a big part in this story. Buddy headlined a tour called the Winter Dance Party, which began in Milwaukee's Million Dollar Ballroom. It included stops in Appleton, Green Bay and Kenosha, along with small towns in Iowa and Minnesota.

The Wisconsin portion of the tour was brutal. The booking agent scheduled dates haphazardly, so the musicians had to travel hundreds of miles between one-night stands in a blizzard. On the way to Appleton, their bus died on Highway 51 in the middle of the night. They set fire to newspapers to stay warm in the minus-30 temperature.

A couple days later, as the replacement bus drove from Green Bay to Clear Lake, Buddy had a brilliant idea. He would charter a plane for a hassle-free trip to the next gig. That would give him a chance to do his laundry and get some rest.

The plane crashed outside of Clear Lake, Iowa on Feb.3, 1959.

OG lil E and lurker mick like this.
  12. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

One member of Holly’s band who did not make the trip went on to become a country music trailblazer, one of the genre’s original “outlaws.” Waylon Jennings was hired by Holly to play bass for him on the Winter Dance Party Tour, which began January 23rd, 1959, in Milwaukee. Jennings, 21 at the time, had been in New York City recording sessions produced by Holly, and after taking a train to Chicago, met up with the rest of Holly’s band. Problems first arose when the tour buses hired to transport the group began breaking down. After a show in Clear Lake, Iowa, on February 2nd, Holly decided to charter a plane for himself, guitarist Tommy Allsup and Jennings so they could fly to Fargo, North Dakota, instead of taking the long, frozen bus trip. Richardson, who was suffering from the flu, asked Jennings for his seat on the plane, and Valens asked the same of Allsup. When Jennings told Holly that he was going to take the bus, Holly jokingly told him he hoped the bus broke down, to which Jennings replied, “I hope your ol’ plane crashes.”

“God almighty, for years I thought I caused it,” the country legend said decades later in a CMT interview.

OG lil E, Shalamo and wraymen like this.
  13. ^I had just finished copying a similar article to post when I saw your post. Waylon Jennings, one of my all time favorites. He and Buddy were very good friends and I'm not sure if he ever got over it.

14. Bird man

Bird man
    from Milwaukee

A couple of years ago, I caught an interview with a brother of Buddy Holly on Prairie Home Companion.
    It was pretty special. Note that his real name is spelled like the carburetor!
    Charles Hardin Holley
    Thanks for making this a great thread guys!

15. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was 13-years-old in February, 1959. Some friends of mine & I went over to one of our houses and played cards & listened to the radio, since the Winter weather sucked that day. We had only been playing for a few minutes when the announcement came that their plane had crashed. We were kind of subdued, I remember and we all quietly left to go home.
    8-months later my father died. 1959 was NOT a good year, at least for me, my dad and those on the plane.

OG lil E and Shalamo like this.
  16. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Condolences, TagMan.

OG lil E and Unique Rustorations like this.
  17. being born in 1953 i didn't know at the time , but was fully aware in 1971 when i met Jerry Dwyer on the ramp at the Mason City airport. i remember him talking openly of the accident. in case you don't know, he owned Dwyer Flying Service and the Beechcraft they died in. you may/may not know that the Dwyer family still owns the wreckage

OG lil E likes this.
  18. March 3rd for me, and I live in Milwaukee !

19. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Yes, they still have it every year.

OG lil E likes this.
  20. It was New Years eve - when Ricky Nelson was coming into Dallas for a gig.....we didn't get tickets for the concert - so we went to a buddies party knowing the snow was a coming.....pretty sure we heard before mid-night the old DC-3 had gone down about an hour north of Big D - still hoping for the best. Sadly years later the wrecked DC-3 was still sitting in an aviation salvage yard when we in for the company I worked for's Lear 35....another sad day it crashed on take off. Rave On - youse guys !