Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Getting ready to purchase a new Carburetor....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by THutch, Jan 22, 2019.

1. I bought an O/T astro van with a crate 350 in it and it came with a 600 holley on it. I never had any problems with it the 5 years I owned it. At work I replaced worn out holleys with governors on 2 of my dump trucks with new Edelbrocks. Both gave me a lot of problems with being way too rich...ended up buying new replacement Holley carbs for them. No time to re-jet or mess with the edlebrocks .
    My present project has a single 525 cfm old carter AFB as per Carb King's suggestion. No problems with it.

THutch likes this.
  2. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

All brands of carburetors will work good if set up right and used right. I’ve read here many times “ I just disconnected the choke, didn’t want to mess with it “. If that is your carburetor, it is not right! If you know how to drive a carburetored car, you can get away with it in hot weather. In cold weather a carburetor is not going to work right till the carb/ engine gets warm/hot.
    Every brand has its little quirks, Q-jet has a lot of linkage that has to move easily, not bind, also has a lot of adjustments and parts other carbs don’t have. Holleys have the loved/hated power valve. Works great, extremely tunable, but will rupture if the engine backfires. Holley always denied that that was the cause, however, you can buy a power valve saver kit for older carbs and newer one come with them........hmmmmm.
    Any carb that is set up right and used right will give satisfactory performance.
    That being said, you can’t always expect perfect performance from a carb that has set outside for a couple years full of water and try to rebuild it. Passages can be extremely hard to get all crap out of and water in the passages can freeze and crack the carb, causing vacuum/ fuel leaks, but most can be made to run right with a little knowledge and patience. Just my .02.

Bones

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
  3. carbking

carbking

Never had an air-gap manifold. The picture on the'net shows square-bore. The Q-Jet is a spread-bore.

Since you have a Q-Jet (assuming it is the correct one for your engine), I will amend my previous post as follows:

If you keep the manifold, then the Carter 9500s or 9510s would be my choice.
    But a better choice would be KEEP THE Q-JET, and replace the intake!

Jon.

4. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Taking carbkings advice, and going with a more stock, low profile manifold will give you better performance around town driving and plenty of power on the free way. Manifolds are cheap, spend the funds on the Q-Jet by a qualified Q-Jet rebuilder who should be obvious by now............................

THutch, scrap metal 48 and tractorguy like this.
  5. THutch

THutch

bobss396 likes this.
  6. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

A couple of days ago there was a posting by critchdizzle titled Dynamic Compession...will this work.
    On the second page is advise on sizing a carb by gimpyshotrods and seconded by carb king that should be required reading for every new mechanic/hot rodder who wants a street as opposed to race car.

loudbang likes this.
  7. djhero66

djhero66

8. djhero66

djhero66

9. 409deuce

409deuce

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Holley-0-80...h=item51d5e02968:g:o98AAOSwGOZTxazE:rk:5:pf:0

Buy the Holley secondary spring kit P/N 20-13. The 80452 has a secondary spring that's so stiff ("black" spring) that the secondaries will never open. Use the tall yellow or the purple spring from the kit, and bump the shooter size up from .031 to about a .035 or .037 to get some smooth, instant throttle response out of it. And balance out the secondary throttle idle opening - very important for proper idle. It will run great. Giddy up!

THutch likes this.
  10. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

Ahhhhh opinions.You know what that say!!I am not the best carb man by any means. Put the smallest edelbrock 4 brl on there and drive trouble free.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
    Hombre, 60F250 and THutch like this.
  11. I vote to freshen up the Qjet, one of the best all around carbs.

12. THutch

THutch

That was great thanks

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

13. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

I just bought my 2nd refurbished by Holley/sold by Holley carb off of E Bay. I haven't driven the newest one yet, but the 1st one has been a good one.

Gary

THutch likes this.
  14. Mine was a real POS from Holley on eBay, I have a good local shop I'll use to go through it for me when I'm ready to use it.

15. For every day running around, those are hard to beat. Nothing like that sound when the secondaries open...

Elcohaulic likes this.
  16. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

pprather and loudbang like this.
  17. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Some have bad luck , some good luck , I have 2 holley 450's on a TR , haven't been touched in 7 years and they sit 5 months out of the year , no special maintenance , just park the car ....

THutch and Fordors like this.
  18. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Edelbrock. 1403, or 1404, depending on your choke flavor.

THutch likes this.
  19. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

I have used the Holley Street Avenger with absolutely no trouble for several years. Had 2 Edelbrocks that I could never get just right.

THutch likes this.
  20. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

edelbrock is what YOU need, easy to tune, low maintenance, if youre makimg power look at holley or demon, edelbrocks are just kind of the 4 door of carbs, no frills or thrills but basic and they work

THutch and gimpyshotrods like this.
  21. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

you can also buy a spacer for a q-jet and if you cant find one, you can take a standard square spacer, outline your q-jet gasket on it, grab a dremel and grind it until it is a q-jet spacer, i used to mess with OT mopars and they have a million carb/manifold options, i got good at making things work haha

22. I’ve had all three, the Q-jet is a great carb, just have to watch out for worn throttle shaft bushings. They are repairable, you can find kits on the internet, or I would guess that Carbking would have them. I’ve always had good luck racing Holleys, and currently have one on an O/T E-250 with a 351. The only trouble it had a was a blown power valve( image that). The van sits most of the time and always starts up. The best, most trouble free street performance carb I’ve ever run has been an Edelbrock. Jetted it correctly and never touched it again. My Mom even drove it for a while and it worked perfectly.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

THutch likes this.
  23. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I'm another vote for the Summit brand carb. I bought the 600 for my Ford 460 powered motorhome, bolted it on and never adjusted a thing, ran great right out of the box. I liked it so well I bought another for the 302 I put in my Linc. Haven't ran it yet, but figure it will be the same. I like the fact that it takes Holley parts, but the way it's made there are no gaskets below the fuel level, so less possibility for leaks. Might not be the best carb from a performance standpoint, but for a mostly street drive car I would give it two thumbs up.

24. I have also installed a SummitRacing carb on a customers car. It reminds me of an old Autolite 4100. I liked the fact that it had annular discharge boosters. It bolted right on a SBC and worked great out of the box.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

THutch likes this.
  25. Mountain Man in Arkansas provided a late q'jet core and built it to my needs. Very happy.

Phil

26. THutch

THutch

[​IMG]Just a quick update... I ended up purchasing a new to me Holley 700 cfm double pumper with a manual choke. A dude I work with bought it for his 351 ford with a aod automatic and couldn’t get it to run right. He had a horrible stumble off idle and couldn’t get it sorted. The price was right so I figured I’d give it a shot... Turns out the accelerator pump was way out of adjustment and the accelerator pump squirters were loose .. Bolted it on hooked the vacuum gauge up did some adjusting and I’m very happy with it. Runs clean and not rich at all . starts nice with a manual choke ( 20-30 degrees in the mornings)

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

27. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

i love the manual choke over the electric, i have never had an electric one that stayed dialed in

28. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Qjet on my 305. Works perfect but you really have to put your foot in it and open the secondaries for power. Wouldn't mine trying something else but don't want to lose mpgs.

29. elba

elba

WOW so many opinions and here is mine. Years ago I put a NEW Holley on my car. Installed it correctly, correct fuel pressure etc. One day I started the car and it was dumping fuel in the engine . So a friend at work was a very good Quadrajet expert and I bought one from him. I put on the correct manifold for the Quadrajet , installed the carb and never had a problem after that .

30. I have the same Holley on my SBC and it runs great, also manual choke.

INVISIBLEKID likes this.