Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Chari-T Roadtrip To The Lone Star Round Up

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by justabeater37, Jan 19, 2019.

1. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

For those that followed the build thread for this little car, here will be my last great adventure with it before we give it away at Vintage Torquefest May 4th. I am going to drive 1122 miles each way to attend the 2019 Lone Star Round Up from here in West Liberty, Iowa to Austin, Texas. As another way to raise some money for these families with kids who have congenital heart defects, I am going to do a pledge type drive based on $/mile and present the check to the Helping Hannah's Heart Foundation May 4th as well. I will be taking the backroads to avoid the interstates and will chronicle the journey and the Americana I experience along the way. I will update this thread with more info as I get the details ironed out, but I thought I would start this thread to see what all y'all think I should see on my way from West Liberty to Austin via Mena Arkansas. Hang on for what will be a long haul in a little car.
    For those who haven't seen it Look up Pounding Out a T roadster here on the HAMB for the build thread. For more info on the charity, go to Helpinghannahsheart.org.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
    Jet96, 48fordnut, Stogy and 9 others like this.
  2. atch

atch

If you're going through Mena anyway I suggest you do some or all of the Talimena Scenic Drive. About 50 miles of natural beauty.

3. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks like there may be cabins to stay in around there as well. I will look into it.

loudbang likes this.
  4. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Can you post a photo of your possible route? Might be easier to point out good stopping points or places to meet up :)

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.

5. atch

atch

Coming from the north, not too far before Mena is Devil's Den State Park. They have cabins but need reservations quite a ways in advance.

Also you might want to check into driving the Pig Trail.

b-t-w; If your route comes through Columbia or Fulton, Missouri stop in for a few minutes (or spend the night with us). I'm about half way between these towns.

alanp561 and justabeater37 like this.
  6. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here is roughly the proposed route. If I can figure out a better way to put it in a picture I will update. It may go through Rolla to catch some Rt 66 stops 9F631150-69BA-4CDE-AE00-2FA6D7FF2ACF.png D5286F88-D41B-4E7D-92D8-E8C08D37C266.png 0A9A2FEE-2242-45DA-98FB-553DEB731D59.png 2FA36696-7F4A-453B-A500-15E59EE9B687.png

7. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Seems like you might be able to see @drdave shop when your in Arkansas. Well worth any detour it may mean.

loudbang likes this.
  8. norms30a

norms30a

Already excited to ride along, take lots of pictures and tell us the whole story.

loudbang likes this.
  9. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

While I am no where near as good at slowing down and taking in all of the sights, I once Told BobK I wanted to be just like him when I grew up. He promptly told me that was my first mistake. Don't grow up. Starting to wish I could take another day on the way down but we shall see what we can do.

Stogy and Tim like this.
  10. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

It's funny that the computer map keeps reminding you that a faster route is available. It almost seems that it is getting impatient.

Maybe we need an option to have it alert us old car enthusiasts, "A slower route is available:"
    :rolleyes:

Jet96, Phillips, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  11. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Careful what you wish for. I may take you up on that. If I did that, I could head to your place after work Tuesday and allow more time roadtrippin Wednesday and Thursday without being so rushed.

loudbang and Tim like this.
  12. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It is only 4 hours to Fulton from here.

loudbang likes this.
  13. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Cool. I will be watching.

40ply and loudbang like this.
  14. atch

atch

You're welcome here any time. If staying here Tuesday night will help you have more time for the rest of your trip by all means do it.

If you want to look us up on Google Earth the address is 1595 County Road 256, Columbia, Missouri.

f-w-i-w; NVRRDUNN spent a night here on his epic road trip last summer. This thread has a pic of his "A" in front of our house. It would be an honor to have another hamber stay at our casa on a road trip.

brEad, wraymen and loudbang like this.
  15. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Sounds like a great trip for a good cause. My family is a half hour from Mena, its beatiful country for a cruising out through the hills out there. Safe travels, we'll see ya in Austin

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang and justabeater37 like this.
  16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not a bad route and the Texas brigade will probably throw in some good food stops not far off that path. But then it would be nice if guys in all the states you went though did that.

OBTW: What's the deal on the give away on that car, Have to be there to win, just have to buy a ticket or ???????

loudbang likes this.
  17. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Atch, consider it a plan at this point. I will PM you later as I get this ironed out. It will probably be 8:30-9:00 before I roll in.

loudbang likes this.
  18. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

19. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Need not be present. Go to Helpinghannahsheart.org for more info. Or see previous post.

loudbang likes this.
  20. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Found it in your build post and bought a poster. Thanks.

21. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mitch will try to have the LSRU fund raiser set up by tomorrow. Instead of doing actual mile, I told him to set it up based on a 2200 mile trip. I will likely be well over that, but needed to pick a mileage for the donations. Currently looks like leaving after work Tuesday heading to Atch's place, then to Rolla to catch some route 66 on the way to Springfield then down to Mena, AR to take the Talimena scenic Byway, then from Talihina OK to Taylor TX for the BBQ and on to Austin to set up camp and pick up my registration packet.

loudbang likes this.
  22. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

@bchrismer is in Springfield if your passing threw

bchrismer and loudbang like this.
  23. atch

atch

Good. Like Tom Bodett says "We'll leave the light on for you."

That's Tuesday, April 9, right?

loudbang and verno30 like this.
  24. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

25. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looking for some route 66 photo op spots between Lebanon and Springfield.

loudbang likes this.
  26. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looking to go through Beaver AR because who doesn't love Beaver...Bridge?[​IMG]

rfraze, 48fordnut, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  27. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looking for a cheap place to stay near Talihina OK after doing the Talimena Scenic Byway. Any Suggestions?

loudbang and Boneyard51 like this.
  28. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

@justabeater37 there are a ton of cabins for rent in the area as its tourist/fishing/hunting country. Check the surrounding towns, Smithville, Broken Bow, & the Beavers Bend areas. We've got an entire house rented next weekend for 150$ a night. Prices vary with the seasons, start searching now.

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  29. atch

atch

I sure hope that someone who lives right there answers this. I have relatives in Lebanon and Springfield and many places in between. I've travelled Rt. 66 through there several times. That is about the least scenic portion of Rt. 66 in the entire state of Missouri. I can't think of even one spot that I'd deem a location for a Kodak moment.

I hope I'm wrong.

If you cross the Missouri River at Jefferson City and go down US-63 to Rolla and go west from there you would go to/through/past:
    • Trail of Tears Memorial
    • Hooker Cut
    • Devil's Elbow
    • Frog Rock (in Waynesville)
    • Uranus, Missouri
    These are all on Rt. 66. You can Google them to see if you think it's worth doing. It's a little longer than going through Eldon, Osage Beach, and Camdenton to get from Jefferson City to Lebanon, but not a whole lot. Especially when you consider you're driving over 2K miles on the trip.

If you do take the Eldon, Osage Beach, and Camdenton route you can get off of US-54 and cross Bagnell Dam, which makes the Lake of the Ozarks. There are some photo ops along there.

loudbang likes this.
  30. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Not cheap, but there is a hotel on the drive, Queen Wilamena State park. Not real expensive, real nice. It’s kinda on the South part of the drive.

Bones

loudbang likes this.