Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Sbc mechanical fuel pump in 1932 frame

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Choppedcoupe, Jan 20, 2019.

1. Choppedcoupe

Choppedcoupe

I have a 31 Ford on a pinched aftermarket 1932 frame with boxed rails. Bought it as uncompleted project. I hope to do some cross-country cruising (all of Route 66) in this car and some test and tune at the local drag strip. The car came with a 307, which I pulled; now I’m going back in with a hot 350. I pulled the old motor with the fuel pump installed and just put the new motor in with the fuel pump installed. I wanted to stay mechanical pump for long term reliability. Well, now that the motor is back in, you can’t get a playing card between the fuel pump and the inside of the frame rail! I just tried to remove the pump and there isn’t room to do it. So, motor is coming back out. It looks like I’m gonna have to yank the motor to service this simple item, and that’s gonna eat away at me...

Probably easier to carry a spare electric pump with me than to yank a motor on the side of the highway...

I wanted to know if I’m always gonna have to pull the motor in order to replace the fuel pump? If so, I might as well go to an electric pump! What have other 1932 Ford owners experienced with this? Is this just something I need to accept?

Attached Files:

2. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

That style Fuel pump Holly the big one , Will not work unless you notch the frame, Especially if frame is boxed . Install Stock style big block 1967 427 Dual / tri carb , good for around 500 hp or any sb/bb
    With just inlet and outlet, if you go to advance auto or AutoZone etc. lot of mechanical fuel pump on the shelf the diaphragms are dry rotted so use a good aftermarket or ac delco

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
  3. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Who made the chassis ? Which pump are you using ?

4. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

93BFDAB7-8E91-4513-96CE-CF6EA27F1C1B.jpeg 4CEE7EF2-4ED4-4CA8-AFDC-A0848F888065.jpeg Pic of the Helmuth coupe with a Pete&Jakes chassis and not sure which pump

LOU WELLS and Just Gary like this.

5. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I saw a '32 chassis ('29 Hiboy) with SBC, frame was close at fuel pump. There was a patch of the frame neatly cut out of the top flange, (like the masking tape patch in photo #1) but with a neat hinge at the outer corner. Looked 'Factory'! Frame was partially boxed, very professional job. But, ???
    Seen at Eagle Field, 3 yrs ago...

6. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

Go get a stock 15 dollar pump from orielly it will be about an inch smaller on diameter I believe , I ran into clearance problems on those rebuildable type pumps before

Dino 64 and 36-3window like this.
  7. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I like to use the smaller stamped steel version pump with the threaded outlet and hose barb inlet pointing forward. It's easier to find on the road, cheaper and more compact than the bigger after market pumps.

beater32 likes this.
  8. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

As stated use the fits all crimped design pump and all will be well . I ran into this years ago , I fixed the issue by yanking the SBC and installing a SBF !

loudbang likes this.
  9. as others have said , use a stock mechanical pump. put that electric back by the fuel tank with a switch so you can use it as needed

LOU WELLS, pprather and Dino 64 like this.
  10. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ
    from NJ

>>> It looks like I’m gonna have to yank the motor to service this simple item, and that’s gonna eat away at me...>>>

Nah. Just take the nuts off the front mounts, jack it up a bit, and replace the pump if/when it ever fails. Jack E/NJ

11. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

No need to yank the motor ! Raise it a bit and all will be well .

Blade58 likes this.
  12. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

I put a small contoured notch in the top of my frame rail . 29 roadster on pinched 32 chassis.

13. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

I would machine a small amount off the edge of the pump for clearance [frame] and roll with it ,as said pick the mill up a bit for repairs.

14. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

My roadster chassis is pinched 3/4"/side, no problems with AC Delco fuel pump clearing but my alternator required a notch in the frame, not that hard to do and it doesn't show from the outside.
    Yours would be easier yet if a piece of round tubing was sectioned in.
    20161107_010143.jpg

LOU WELLS likes this.
  15. Choppedcoupe

Choppedcoupe

Thanks fellas-perfect replies and very helpful. I went to the stamped steel pump as recommended and I’m in business-I can remove the pump without difficulty. Seems my motor sits lower in chassis than the Helmuth Coupe (beautiful car). I hate that forward facing input nipple, but I gotta live with it. I guess I will just run the line from the tank forward past the pump and try to put a smooth 180-degree bend in it to a rubber line.

Dino64-is that an aluminum fuel line from the pump to the carb? Can you share with me how (what fittings) to make up a line like that for mine? I’d like to avoid a long rubber hose in that area.

harpo1313 and LOU WELLS like this.
  16. cometman98006

cometman98006

I know it's not period correct but I see nothing wrong with an electrical fuel pump and if you buy a good one they are very reliable.

clem likes this.
  17. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Those appear to be Jic fittings , very much like a/n fitting, anyone who sells hydraulic fittings should have them ..or you could use inverted flare fitting like OEM did...

18. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

This pic of Frame , the builder made the frame mount higher them most use , majority of A frame & 32 for SBC frame mount is level with the top of the frame ,,

Jic fittings are also called A/N ( Army navy )
    Most of your Russell , Aeroquip Earls are Jic A/N

Just Gary likes this.