Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features 1937 to 1942 Willys Picture Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hot Rod Willys, Jan 15, 2011.

1. Mick Coyne

Mick Coyne

G-Willys, got a picture of your car or cars? Like to see 'em,
    Mick

loudbang likes this.
  2. FOUND THOSE PICTURES...the coupe went sideways into the wall, and what was a nice car turned into a mess.
    As I had said, this car came from the Fargo ND. area, and when it was at Back to the 50's it had a license plate on the back that said 9 SECOND G-willys

IMG_20190117_105605688.jpg IMG_20190117_105632866.jpg

3. IMG_20170120_153327522 (3).jpg
    That is always a compliment...have built 4 Willys and owned many more ...Built , '38 Sedan, '41 Pickup, '39 Coupe, (the White one in the middle)and my final build, a '36 Sedan... plus my race car in the 60's Also a picture of my annual get together before Back to the '50s G-Willys IMG_20190117_110102173.jpg My First Willys-1961.jpg IMG_20170623_151309447 (1).jpg IMG_20160714_205043516 (1).jpg IMG_20170120_153327522 (3).jpg IMG_20180621_184201153 (1).jpg

Stebo27, 1947knuck, enloe and 4 others like this.
  4. I DO have all the(MID AMERICA WILLYS) club magazines, and many after Barb and Greg gave up the club to the guy's in Arizona/California.
    I dropped my membership after sending many annual Willys gatherings locally, and Back to the '50's pictures, and they never made the magazine...it was all their local racers, and rodders.:(:) I also have all the West Coast Willys Club magazines when Kevin Perry started it (still belong). I also have all the Willys World magazines from Ron Ladley's time, as it was the first one to cover Willys, starting in the late '70's, early '80's. G-willys
    P.S. Neat picture of Barb & Greg's 'ol coupe.

Mick Coyne and loudbang like this.
  5. Mick Coyne

Mick Coyne

That's the car!
    I had previously asked you if it was back and blue with a Hemi, that's it!
    I spoke with the owner prior to the crash, what a shame.
    I remember it making a sharp left turn into the wall at Sears.
    High dollar car, fast too.

loudbang likes this.
  6. Mick Coyne

Mick Coyne

You've got HOW MANY Willys? I've seen some of them, I'm a member of the WCWC].
    Liking them all but a favorite would be the one from the 60s.
    9 in a row, you're holding your own Willys Round Up, are they close by?
    Not too many of them around here.
    Nice collection!
    Mick

loudbang likes this.
  7. Mick...I have a friend named Del . His coupe is the blue one in the picture with my white one. he and I had about 25 Willys bodies over the years. We bought every one we could afford and sold them over time, always keeping one good part that our cars didn't have. We had ball, however it is all pretty much gone...we each have two Willys left that are daily drivers (except in Minnesota winters).
    A few come from out of town for our gathering, and most of all to attend Back to the 50's (over 12 thousand cars 1964 and older), but we DO have a lot of Willys in the Minneapolis/St Paul, and surrounding area. Three of our friends have multiple Willys, and several have cars they are building.
    I bought the one from the 60's for $250 and drove it home. Kept it as my daily driver for two years in college in Duluth Mn. Then we took it apart and made a race car out of it...we really didn't know what we were doing and seldom beat anyone, but it was fun, plus I sold it for $600 in 1969 ( a profit) as I was married and raising a family. Got back into cars about 1978, and have been ever since. I must have a couple thousand pictures...I wish I could show them all.
    Since '78 I have had at least 6 coupes...sold all but the white one. Now they are much too pricey for me. There are couple of threads on the hamb that show the ones I found. G-willys

8. This is a picture of our Willys grave yard...cars came and went...we parted out several, and now there are none left.
    G-willys
    IMG_20180120_102010354 (3).jpg

Stebo27, enloe, Mick Coyne and 4 others like this.
  9. Mick Coyne

Mick Coyne

I don't know how you do it.
    I've got ONE, that's it.
    Took me forever to find parts for it [prior to the internet].
    Looks like you and Del are definitely into the Willys world.
    Nice looking cars by the way!
    Really enjoy hearing about the car world the 60s.
    Question for ya, why is it everybody is using member names [G-Willys] instead of their actual name?
    I may even know you [?].
    Mick

loudbang likes this.
  10. loudbang

loudbang

11. Loudbang...I don't know if Dave Love(?) still owns this truck, but years back I lent him the trim ring to hold the headlight glass in on a '39...I eventually ended up selling it to him. The unique '39 headlight won't stay in place without the very thin trim piece that holds the headlight glass in, and they are near impossible to find. Truck looks great in this picture...much more shinny than what I remember. G-willys

Bowtie Coupe and loudbang like this.
  12. MICK...that's a good question...perhaps everyone wanted to remain anonymous until they got to know who they were communicating with ??? G-Willys was the license plate on my 41 Pickup...my actual name is bill.

modelkitbasher and loudbang like this.
  13. Mick Coyne

Mick Coyne

Hairy Canary, stack injected sbc with a 4-speed! Bad azz!
    Not to mention the 39 look!
    There was a "Hairy Canary" funny car Valiant or Dart that ran at Fremont drags way back when.
    It was sponsored by Goodies Speed Shop,
    Mick

loudbang likes this.
  14. Mick Coyne

Mick Coyne

Ah ha!!!! Bill H, now I know. What a collection!
    Mick

33HEMI and loudbang like this.
  15. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

16. BINGO...you got it !!! IMG_20180122_233659321 (1).jpg

Stebo27, enloe, Bowtie Coupe and 5 others like this.
  17. loudbang

loudbang

there also is a Comet named Hairy Canary CHEVY powered LOL :confused:

loner2, 1947knuck, enloe and 2 others like this.
  18. loudbang

loudbang

19. Mick Coyne

Mick Coyne

W pickups; Wayne Willys PU before.jpg Wayne PU day 1630.jpg Wayne Willys PU before.jpg Wayne PU day 1630.jpg Wayne PU day 1631.jpg Wayne at Pleasanton 2014.jpg Barb pick up 9.jpg I found this 42 next door to my high school buddy's parents house in San Ramon
    Ca. My good friend the late Wayne Baker was looking for one to build for his wife.
    Picked it up for $5000. Put a lot of work into it, here's a few before and after shots.

Attached Files:

Stebo27, 1947knuck, enloe and 4 others like this.
  20. Mick Coyne

Mick Coyne

Hey Bill, I think I hit the "like" button twice so it popped up "unlike, "
    don't know what I'm doing, sorry.
    You had mentioned the Gateway Gasser Gathering, I guess you saw this coupe, right?
    I took a gazillion pictures,
    Mick img830.jpg img827.jpg img827.jpg img828.jpg

Stebo27, enloe, 41 coupe and 4 others like this.
  21. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

guy I know took his running/driving '41 pick up for finish bodywork and paint to a friend about 15 years ago - still waiting to get it back - will post finished some day, I hope

loudbang likes this.
  22. 0ldracer

0ldracer

Stebo27, 1947knuck, enloe and 6 others like this.
  23. Mick Coyne

Mick Coyne

Dave, that was YOUR car???
    Didn't know that. How's your neck? Jeez.
    I was just a friend about the rear end in your coupe.
    He hadn't seen one in a "hot rod" before.
    It obviously works well...

loudbang likes this.
  24. 0ldracer

0ldracer

Mick, That was my car but I didn't own it then. Sold it in 1967. Thirty three years and 7 owners later I was able to buy it back. Long story but I am a very lucky guy!

enloe, loudbang, Mick Coyne and 4 others like this.
  25. Mick Coyne

Mick Coyne

I'll say!
    As popular as the S&S Team is, thinking that was a big help in locating it and purchasing it
    back after all those years. That's beyond luck, glad you got her back Dave,
    Mick

0ldracer, 33HEMI and loudbang like this.
  26. I'll check my pictures...is that the one that went way up...came down and bent the chassis? g-willys
    Here's a picture of a coupe that was at Sears Point same weekend as the black & blue coupe crash. Do you know it? I have a story on it! The glass '39 front end was one of only two made for the Jack Merkel '39 coupe back in the day.
    Racer Ron Norman found the Merkel coupe, but not the front clip. When told about it he bought the whole car just to get the glass '39 nose. The other glass nose??...a friend of my has it. g-willys 64NATIONALSINDY-JACKMERKLE-BGS (1).jpg IMG_20190117_110204113  '39 glass nose.jpg

caseyajones, EVL401, Stebo27 and 7 others like this.
  27. Mick Coyne

Mick Coyne

Hi Bill, yep, that's the car that did a giant wheel stand and came down too hard.

Yes, I was there at Sears Point and spotted that primered 39 coupe!
    I talked with the owner/driver and asked if that was a Jack Merkell J Merkell front end.jpg front end.
    He seemed shocked that I would know that, told his girlfriend "See that!"
    The Willys world sure is a small one, see attached.
    Bob Mohler owns the Jack Merkell steel 39 coupe, now streetable.
    I have pictures of it here somewhere.
    Mick

Stebo27, 1947knuck, enloe and 3 others like this.
  28. loudbang

loudbang

29. Mick Coyne

Mick Coyne

Here's Bob Mohler's 40 coupe [former Jack Merkell car],
    Mick Bob Mohler's 40 coupe.jpg

Stebo27, 1947knuck, Dave Mc and 6 others like this.
  30. Mick Coyne

Mick Coyne

That's a "friend?"

loudbang likes this.