Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ok, I'm fed up with the critters in my shop....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SwitchBlade327, May 30, 2006.

1. fleetbob50

fleetbob50
    from Waco,Texas

The sticky paper traps for varmits works great for spiders,wasps,fleas,mice,etc. Just be careful if you
    have pets in the shop. Nothing warms my heart more
    than seeing a scorpion in a death struggle with the
    stuff. Once they're stuck, they're history!

2. Exhaust works great...
    Park your vehicle in the shop\garage.
    Roll down the windows, open the trunk (if its a car) and leave the hood up.
    Start the engine and leave it running.
    Then close the garage and wait outside for about half an hour.
    This will also kill any other creatures living in your garage.

I need some new ideas. I know other people with shops around here and they never have any problems with this stuff. Mine is right next to a wooded area though. This is getting REALLY old....[/QUOTE]

3. JonnyRockets

JonnyRockets

You can build a trap like the onew shown in that link - fill it with beer. wasps and others fly in land in beer - get drunk, can't fly anymore and won't fly out.

The paperbag thing is supposed to work as well.

4. BELLM

BELLM

I keep a super soaker water gun loaded with water and a small amount of any kind of liquid diswashing liquid. When I see a nest I empty the full load! I can reach 15' up in the rafters of my tractor shed. Any wasps, yellow jackets etc that you get soapy water on drop instantly and die. Cheap & effective. After several years of wiping out every one I can find they are only a few new ones each year. If the nests are easily reached a glass full of soapy water thrown directly on the nest takes care of them, save the water gun for those I can't reach. I enjoy the hell out of killing those fuckers!!:D

5. MIKE47

MIKE47
    from new jersey

I used to have about 60 nests of everything, carpenter bees, yellow jackets, you name it. They ate their way right through the walls. Those bombs did pretty good but what keeps them out is sealing up the entries. My old garage was like swiss cheese. I went down to the homo depot and got a shit load of latex calk tubes. Waited till night time and filled as many holes as i could find. It took a few tubes, but it worked. The last 2 years in that shop were bee free. And try some "home defense" spray. You spray it all around the shop 2x a year. Good cheap ins. Now go kill as many of those s.o.b.s as you can, soldier!!

6. Toystoretom

Toystoretom

Wasps, Hornets, YellowJackets... all of these do the same thing. They strip wood from woody plants and bushes to take to their nests to build more cells for the eggs. If you have ever seen one of these nests it appears to be made from a paper like substance. The buggers strip this stuff from the bushes and trees, chew on it and turn it into a pulp to be used as building material and to FEED THE QUEEN.

Get a sprayer that will shoot a stream at least 20 to 30 feet or so and buy a good instecticide (Diazanon or the like) and spray all the bushes, trees and plants you can reach. Do it often (like every other day) early in the morning before the bugs come out and are active. If you know of a nest spray that, but be careful, and do it from long distance. As the day heats up the bugs become much more active. In about two weeks you will have no bugs. For a sprayer... I use an Ortho Sprayette that goes on the end of a garden hose, its small and cheap and works great.

This is the only thing that I have ever found that works. Also note that a lot of these buggers like woodpiles, mole holes, and piles of junk and crap (like rolled up carpets left out side) ... spray the hell out of that stuff and get rid of it. Its a lot of work, but its the only way...

7. Kilroy

Kilroy
    from Orange, Ca

FUCK ME!

I just got buzzed by what must have been a Taratula Hawk...

Fucking thing must have been 3" long.

I looked them up and their sting is supposed to be as bad as they look.

I don't know about the used engine oil keeping them away thing...

I got an old flathead block that some wasps are using like a condo right now. It's got as much used motor oil as you can get.

I'm allergic to wasps too, plus my dad was a bee-keeper for a while when I was little...

I'm a bee-wasp pussy as a result. You'd think I'd have built up a thick skin considering the hundreds of times I've been stung.

Fucking Pest Control guys just keep saying "Welcome to Texas" :) :) :)

I'm buying Dryell sheets tomarrow...

8. SwitchBlade327

SwitchBlade327

I accidentally figured out somethign that helps ALOT in my little shop.

Since it's gotten pretty hot in there during the day, I bought a 24" steel fan to help me not sweat to death. The lowest speed on it is faster than most hi speeds on other fans we have. Even on low it makes enough wind there there to makes the bugs not want to be around. I've only seen one wasp in the past three days, and he made sure to stay on the ceiling so he wasn't blown away!

I also sprayed all around the base of the shop, and around the doors and windows. Seems to have helped. We will see as the days get hotter and longer.

9. chitbox dodge

chitbox dodge
    from dunlap tn

a couple of years ago we had a colony of yellowjackets set up in the wall of our back bedroom. they actually chewed several holes in the drywall and made a honking big stain towards the top of the wall. and of course they were coming into the house, we were killing maybe 1-2 dozen a day. we tried everything to get rid of them , but one thing was extremely effective.

i was switched to night shift for a couple of weeks. one night i was back in here on the computer when i heard a bunch of tapping on the french door. i looked back and there must have been 200-300 of the little bastards trying to get in. you see yellow jackets, and i guess pretty much any bug, don't actually sleep. just like a moth they are drawn to white or bright light in the dark of night looking for warmth.

while they were all spread out up against the glass in the door, i deftly ran downstairs and picked up my can of wasp killer, you know the one that shoots 20 ft and just sprayed the crap out of the whole door. that night i ended my yellow jacket issues forever. the next morning there must have been at least 1000 carcasses there.

so my best tip is find one large attraction and use it as bait. they are also attracted to raw meat of any kind, sugary substances, and heat sources. smoke pisses them off and so does loud noises.

best of luck and happy hunting.