Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Temp Sending Wire repair

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1953naegle, Jan 14, 2019.

1. 1953naegle

1953naegle

Got a technical question for you guys:

This is for my 54' Chevy 4-dr. 2100, and is in regards to the stock instrament cluster.

The temperature gauge uses a small 1/8" diameter hollow brass tube as a "sending wire." It's hard soldered into the gauge, and the other end has a solid probe soldered on that is inserted into the engine block and held in place with a pipe fitting. The line is 36" or so.

Mine had a couple bad sharp bends in it that broke when I "gently" straightened the line out. Now I know the cluster assemblies come up used fairly regularly, but I'm curious if this is fixable? I could replace the whole line, but I'm thinking it will be easier soldering a couple brass sleeves over the brakes, or brass pins in the center of the breaks. I'm wondering if either repair will negativly effect the gauges reading? Does the gauge use the hollow space to send the temp., or the outside brass, or both?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

No home repair possible. There's a gas that has escaped now. You'll have to send it out for repairs or replace.

Black_Sheep likes this.
  3. The bulb is full of ether or similar gas that expands when hot providing pressure to actuate the needle in the gauge. Not a home job unless you have the right equipment. You can probably get an entire new gauge assembly through Chevs of the 40's.

scrap metal 48 likes this.
  4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

While I am not necessarily endorsing the idea, I have seen 'how to' articles, and there are no doubt you tube videos, showing how to repair/replace the tube and it's contents. You might consider searching the internet for such info.

On the other hand, if a replacement is readily available, that would be, for me, a very tempting solution. Not as educational, but easy.

5. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Check with your local speedo - gauge repair shop. The one I use locally has repaired capillary tubes for me and the price was reasonable.

6. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

I beg to differ.........
    https://www.ply33.com/Repair/tempgauge

egads and Texas Webb like this.
  7. 1953naegle

1953naegle

Thanks for the replys

Definently more complicated than I first thought. I was hoping soldering would be the only requirement.

I did see a post where someone adapted a reproduction 55' assembly (about $80) that looked original, although required modification to the cluster.

Pro rebuild service seems to run $100 to $200

Good used units when available go for $20 to $100

8. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

9. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

Ahh...I read too quick, I thought you were saying they can't be repaired at home period.