Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1939 Ford transmission main shaft extender

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by indianapolisracer, Jan 9, 2019.

1. indianapolisracer

indianapolisracer

Installing a 1953 Oldsmobile engine in my 1939 Ford utilizing an adaptor plate to attach a 39 transmission to the Oldsmobile engine . A mainshaft extender is required to adapt the trans input shaft to the back of the Olds . Where can I acquire one of these extenders ?

2. BJR

BJR

Don't you use an extended pilot bushing?

3. indianapolisracer

indianapolisracer

No it is my understanding the trans main shaft must use an extender to fill the gap created by using the adapter plate

4. I don't have any first hand answers for ya but need to hear the correct answer to your question. I've never heard of extending the shaft on any adaption, only bringing the pilot bushing to the shaft. In fact I have made spacers to go between the Crank and Flywheel to bring the disc to proper engagement on the spline. I actually have this project on the shelf for a project down the road.
    The Wizzard

5. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Maybe check with Wilcap in Pismo Beach, CA?

6. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

I think they sell them in the same store with tripe traps and left hand wind switch'es...

Texas Webb likes this.
  7. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

There was a part that was required on my old long bell Chrysler 331 Hemi that pressed into the crank, and positioned the pilot bushing further back...It was made from a piece of steel bar, 2" O.D.; then bored inside to 5/8" (+) and the front half turned down to the Chrysler crank I.D., around 1" O.D. Don't quote me on specs, but that was its general shape.
    I think I got it from Sid Waterman, long ago; 1962. (Speed Inc., San Jose)

8. 63galaxie406

63galaxie406

It’s called a pilot bearing adapter. It’s a press fit in the crank. Advance Adapters in Paso Robles, CA and Wilcap in Pismo Beach or Grover Beach, CA sells them.

302GMC likes this.
  9. indianapolisracer

indianapolisracer

Thanks for that

10. BJR

BJR

The whole adapter is here; http://www.wilcap.com/olds.html
    You can see the extended pilot bushing in the plastic bag pictured, just scroll down the page a bit.

11. indianapolisracer

indianapolisracer

Big help thanks

12. FOURTYDLX

FOURTYDLX

I hope you have a lot of trans parts, ask me how I know.

13. When I had the 303 Olds. with a 37 tranny , it would blow the gears out of bottom of case.

14. manyolcars

manyolcars

I destroyed lots of 39 transmissons., Even after I learned to go easy on them. And that was with a puny flathead v8

15. indianapolisracer

indianapolisracer

Well what can I say , operator error ?

16. indianapolisracer

indianapolisracer

Ross racing engines has the part I need and is on its way , problem solved Thanks to all sincere replies ,jokers not so much !

17. Put a stronger tranny in it - please! :)

18. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

When I was 15, I bought a pretty decent '46 Ford, stock as a stove …. drove over to my buddy's house to show off … wound 'er up & dumped the clutch. The whole bottom half came out in one chunk.

Hank37 likes this.
  19. Final answer was as I would have expected. It's good to know for sure instead of getting ready and learning I need a difficult to find item. As we learn as we get older everything has a braking point, even the Stronger parts. Standing the test of time gets down to Not being a bone head Kid. As usual the H.A.M.B. comes through with info from those that know as well as the crowd in the Bleachers with there wealth of knowledge. I just love this place.
    The Wizzard

20. Fred A

Fred A
    from Encino, CA
    1. Upholstery

Before I was drafted in '66, my then '40 coupe was fitted with a post war Zephyr OD trans in front of 4.44 V8-60 gears. That was clearly the best gearing for my Olds power. Great from start to highway cruising. People thought that I had a four speed, will in a way it was. Took a while to understand how to do a Ford trans and rear to avoid breakage. 27 months in Asia made keeping the car out of the question. Fifty years later there's a great'40 project in my yard. It's beyond good to be back. Good Luck: Fred A

21. junkman8888

junkman8888

Indianapolisracer, please listen to these guys: Bought a 53-56 Buick nailhead at an auction a few years back for the Offenhauser manual transmission bellhousing, flywheel, clutch and pressure plate. When I pulled the cover on the transmission (a next generation '49 and later Ford) I found the teeth completely stripped off of the cluster gear, when I pulled the bellhousing and pressure plate the clutch disk still had the paint ID legible on the clutch surface. In other words, they dumped the clutch once and it was toast, frankly, with the parts your're using you're not going to have any better luck.

22. I ran an Olds in my 36 couple in 58.
    Just made sure rolling before dropping the hammer. Only changed one transmission. It would pop out of second gear.