Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Chev bell housing mounted starter problem, help!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by John Herford, Jan 5, 2019.

1. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

@squirrel Jim not to debate you but here's a little story about how a bad starter gear can be as bad as a bad ring gear. I had a 1962 Clark forklift that needed the ring gear replaced on the flywheel because of a bad spot. But because of it's age and how hydraulic systems were tied into the engine it wasn't worth all the labor or chancing damaging aged hoses that were no longer available. The solution was to replace the started gear and behold, even with a bad ring gear the started would now again turn over the engine at the bad spot. All I'm saying is this. A bad/wrong after market designed starter gear will take out a ring gear as will especially if it has a bad spot that has all ready been formed.

2. squirrel

squirrel

I won't argue with that...but this starter drive gear looks ok to me. And it works fine on a different part of the ring gear.

I guess I like finding and fixing the real problem, instead of the shotgun approach. something about being cheap.

Hnstray, Rich S. and Johnny Gee like this.
  3. sunbeam

sunbeam

On second thought just apply power to the small S post on the solenoid with out the battery cable to starter hooked up the solenoid will push the started drive out but wont spin. It will make it easyer to check if the drive is extending enough to engauge the fly wheel.

4. 56shoebox

56shoebox

I did the exact same thing on the same car. So "ditto" if it helps your situation any.

5. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Lol. That totally is incorrect. How about how you've won so many rally races? :)

6. John Herford

John Herford

Don't know what year the starter motor is: I think it's china actually. Date on the spec sheet is 12-1015. Yup using a 400 flywheel.

7. John Herford

John Herford

Ah got it. I'll try that to see how it engages, good, thanks.

8. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm sure you probably checked this at least a dozen times by now, but, is the starter tight to the bellhousing all the way around? Or is it hitting something it shouldn't be and putting things in a bind? Just 'kinda grasping at straws here...

Sent from my SM-G892A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Rich S. likes this.
  9. John Herford

John Herford

Yeah, the block mount high torque starter is really a last resort. I know it's weird but I like the idea of the old stuff (stock three speed overdrive, 400 SB,) combined with new stuff buy mostly the good old stuff.) make any sense?
    Sound like a Scottish man to me. Deep pockets and short arms......!

Attached Files:

Terrible80 and blowby like this.
  10. John Herford

John Herford

Good thought, suggested already, but I've removed the starter and looked at the top of the nose. It's not been dressed down and there may be a spot that the paint looks like it's been rubbed off a bit. I'm going to do the following before reinstalling the starter: File or grind off the top of the nose housing near the top bolt that comes from the back of the bell where it may interfere with the engine block. Next, replace the bendix gear as it's not beveled and probably won't hurt a thing to get one in there that is right. Then I'll clearance the nose where the ring gear may be rubbing slightly. Reinstall and try again. I'll post how it turns out.
    Also, I'm looking for an original (non-China) bell housing mounted starter locally to use for a guide, maybe even install to see if the ring gear works as it should, before pulling the flywheel and replacing it.
    this is going to get solved!!

11. John Herford

John Herford

Good thought, suggested already, but I've removed the starter and looked at the top of the nose. It's not been dressed down and there may be a spot that the paint looks like it's been rubbed off a bit. I'm going to do the following before reinstalling the starter: File or grind off the top of the nose housing near the top bolt that comes from the back of the bell where it may interfere with the engine block. Next, replace the bendix gear as it's not beveled and probably won't hurt a thing to get one in there that is right. Then I'll clearance the nose where the ring gear may be rubbing slightly. Reinstall and try again. I'll post how it turns out.
    Also, I'm looking for an original (non-China) bell housing mounted starter locally to use for a guide, maybe even install to see if the ring gear works as it should, before pulling the flywheel and replacing it.
    this is going to get solved!!

12. John Herford

John Herford

I'll take pictures of the ring gear to see what both of you think.

squirrel likes this.
  13. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

flywheel been chewin here? Dont know if that would even be possible? Also noticed you said something about no threads in one hole, As old wolf mentioned are you getting through from the back side with that one bolt and getting all three bolts in? Been a while since Ive fooled with this.
    upload_2019-1-6_21-23-58.png

14. Rich S.

Rich S.

It sounds like the fly wheel or alignment issue. But you might want to try this. Rotate the engine to where you said it will start. Pull your coil wire or power to it and crank it over a bunch of rotations and let us know how it sounds or what happened.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here are a few pics of a genuine GM nosecone. Notice the subtle differences and how it's not so "beefy" in all the right spots. Hope this might help. 20190106_210011.jpeg 20190106_210028.jpeg 20190106_210200.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G892A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app
    That's a damn fine lookin' ride B. T. W!

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
    Rich S. likes this.
  16. sunbeam

sunbeam

You do know that Chevy did not offer the Muncie overdrive behind even a 327.

17. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

In the end you'll have to be the one to decide. Once all is broken down the end result may require that both starter and ring gear need replacing or flipped to become totally worry free. All I was trying to say was either one will kill the other.

18. squirrel

squirrel

yes, but it usually takes a little while for that to happen...he has a new starter now, and an old flywheel. And it works when the flywheel is in some positions.

Rich S. likes this.
  19. I have a '55 Chevy bellhousing in my car, thought it was a later truck piece until I ran the numbers (love the internets...). Flywheel is from a C20 or C30 truck. Starter is from a '64-'67 truck and I've had it for 35 years, used this set up in a bunch of cars. I flipped the ring gear back in 2015, used a torch at a friend's shop. I had a local shop rebuild the matching starter and convert it to a hi-torque. I'd say that the starter nose cone is the problem. If you have an old starter around, compare the housings. I always try to get a starter with any engine I pick up. I avoid parts-house starters like the plague.

olscrounger likes this.
  20. SASROD

SASROD

Might check the ring gear on the flywheel to make sure it installed flat all the way around the flywheel.

Rich S. likes this.
  21. 56shoebox

56shoebox

John Herford, where are you located?

22. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

OK now. I saw the 55 in your avatar, thought that was what you were working with. So, it's a TRUCK to start with, hence the truck bell-housing. You don't have a 55-56 starter motor, it's a 57 and later. I've never had any troubles with a 55-56 starter, unless the armature "V" springs are broken, as far as torque and all; even used them with big blocks. Hope you get this figured out. Nice truck! I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

23. John Herford

John Herford

You're right, the starter was slightly getting the nose right there. Before I re-install this will be filed or ground. Also, all three bolts are going in however there appears to be a spot just over the top bolt that looks suspicious as in touching the block, so I'll grind or file that too. great eyes you've got!

24. John Herford

John Herford

thanks Butch. Yup, truck. I got the starter from Db Electrical. I have found a 55-56 starter that I can try (tomorrow afternoon), so that's the next step, if it works then I know the ring gear is OK and can work on the starter I bought.

25. John Herford

John Herford

I'm in Sedro Woolley, Washington. That's about 70 miles north of Seattle.

26. John Herford

John Herford

I really didn't pay too much attention to the flywheel and ring gear other than surfacing. I know where it came from and what it came out of and there were no previous issues the guy just wanted to go automatic. So next Ill install a proven starter, see if that works. If not, then the ring gear is suspect. If it does work, then the one I bought from Db Electrical is bad and need work.

27. John Herford

John Herford

I hear ya Bob. Too late I bought one and now the issues. But tomorrow I'm getting a stock one to try we'll see how that goes. Thanks.

28. John Herford

John Herford

Thanks 427. I appreciate the pics. I'm getting an original tomorrow to see how it works. I'll post the results. Minimum, if I keep the new one I'll be grinding and fitting it a bit for sure. I think it's a China knockoff, which needs some work. Maybe I'll be able to keep the original one I'm getting from a friend locally.

29. John Herford

John Herford

You're both right!

30. John Herford

John Herford

Yeah, I'll be taking it easy with this combination for sure. If I don't speed shift and if I don't drop out of overdrive too hard.........