Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Rustoleum vs Krylon

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Truckdoctor Andy, Jan 5, 2019.

1. What brand of spray paint do you guys prefer for small parts, etc? Rustoleum, Krylon, or something else?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

And, lacquer, enamel, epoxy, polyurethane?

oliver westlund likes this.
  3. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

Rustoleum...Crayon runs.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

Truckdoctor Andy and VANDENPLAS like this.
  4. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

5. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

6. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

I have been having good results with Ace Hardware enamel, about 20 years ago removed the front clip and spray gun painted the firewall, wheel tubs ect. with Eastwood under hood black. Next day when pulling the tape noticed that never turned the steering shaft over to paint. Grabbed a can of Ace Matt black touched up and never went back (It Matched Perfect)

7. If it’s black. I like the rattle can epoxy from the chain parts stores

8. slowmotion

slowmotion

Krylon #1306(?) Satin Black used to be the go-to. I heard they changed it. I never had much luck with Dupli-Color. If I was gonna do small parts these days I probably use something from the S E M line of products.

9. DUPICOLOR Always !!!

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  10. Rustoleum takes way too long to dry if you're trying to do a quicky paint job. I've always liked Krylon, but it's not as easy to find anymore. 'Painters Choice' (made by Rustoleum) is another good choice as it dries faster, has good coverage, and seems to be a more durable than Krylon. I really like their primer, the downside is it has a definite 'window' for re-coats, make sure you read the directions.

Truckdoctor Andy and lumpy 63 like this.
  11. Rustoleum or Ace stuff, works good and lasts. Its a drag car so.......;)

Truckdoctor Andy and Rich S. like this.
  12. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

I like engine enamel...

catdad49 likes this.
  13. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Back in 2003 I painted my entire full fendered deuce pu with Krylon satin black. Turned out great, as far as lasting it's over in I believe Denmark still running the same paint job. I'm a big Krylon fan.

14. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

KIMG3907.JPG Life long 1613 fan.... Until thy changed the formula, Walmart used to have $3.00 rustgaurd or something along those lines, that's now gone, I find the Ford satin black to work for me... The DuPont is the better part of $20 bill... But excellent... I still use satin rustoleum in the qt. For final frame finish... Over epoxy...

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
  15. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Yes, Krylon was reformulated, the details I don't know but I don't like it now, I used to buy a lot of the semi flat black for misc hard parts but I have been less active so not sure what is the best now.
    The one that I really like is SEM Euro Jet Satin Black trim paint, flows out of the can nicely plus has a comfortable spray button, more money but high quality, got mine from Summit.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
  16. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

I also use Duplicolor engine paint when color is needed. But, only use John Deere "Blitz Black" for all my satin black. It dries very fast and extremely durable.

17. indyjps

indyjps

None of it, yuck, everytime I use rattle can I regret it. But when I do, engine enamel is my go to. Engine enamel on bolts and brackets with a quick bake in a toaster oven ($5 garage sale find) works well.

Past few years I cant get a can to last longer than half. Spray upside down, pull the tip and soak in thinner etc, still clogs up.

18. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I'm cheap, I use the WalMart store brand or the Dollar General store brand. Mostly gloss or semi gloss black, depending on what I'm doing. Seems to hold up as well as the high dollar brands.

A side story---a few years ago I was in a WalMart getting some things, picked up a few cans of spray paint. Went to check out, stupid cashier had to card me to make sure I was old enough to buy spray paint! Pissed me off, my graying hair and beard wasn't enough of a clue for this kid that I could have been her daddy, or maybe even her grandpa! I complained rather loudly about it, the head cashier who we knew told me that they had to do that on account of kids huffing paint, but for adults they just clicked OK and went on without saying anything. It has never happened again.....

19. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Another Walmart job saved!

20. Rustolem bought Krylon. Both don't work so good. Seymore brand works good. Hard to find around here

21. I have had better luck with Krylon. I have had problems with spraying over Rustoleum, I heard they use fish oil in their ingredients and that its not as compatible with other paints anymore.

22. Johnny99

Johnny99

This stuff. Mercury marine. Best gloss black out of a spray bomb I've ever used.

paint2.jpg

23. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

Where do you get it? Price per can?

24. I have always used rustolem. My dad painted his 50 ford rat rod with their satin black, he got tons of complements saying it was a perfect shade for a hot rod. I Just started using duplicolor engine paint on my cummins. I'm very impressed with how great it looks.

25. ShortyLaVen

ShortyLaVen

I feel like Ace brand paint is actually Rust-Oleum, but I don't have any evidence to back that up. Or at least I used to think that, until the last time I bought some it looked like a Krylon cap instead. Paint seemed the same, though. Maybe they have their own formula and different companies just can it for them? Any Ace Hardware corporate people on here to verify?

I used to be a Krylon guy because I thought they had a better color selection, but in the last few years Rust-O has really stepped up their game. I have use that and the Ace Hardware paint for everything from engine brackets to steel wheels and it has always worked great. Good coverage, as durable has you could expect, and the glosses are really a nice enamel type gloss.

And of course Dupli-Color or VHT for blocks, heads, manifolds, etc.

FWIW, a friend I used to work with swore by Ace brand chrome/aluminum, PN 17006, for replicating the zinc plating on a lot of factory resto stuff. I'll be damned if it isn't the perfect paint for that. It's also the best chrome spray paint in general; I've used it to paint a lot of steelies and rallies and it looks pretty dang nice for some beater wheels. Actually looks like a chrome wheels that needs ploishing at first glance! I've used it for touching up rusty bumpers on daily drivers before, too, and if they're already a little beat up you would never notice unless you were looking for it.

catdad49 and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  26. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I always like Tremclad up here in Canada. I've always wondered if it was related to Rustoleum.

27. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I will never use rattle can paint again for anything. When I built my convertible I used krylon for all the engine brackets. Two years ago all the brackets were dull and looked like crap, took them all off and started all over. I repainted every bracket, and pulley with Nason black. Everything looks great again and will with a good grade mixed paint.

Unique Rustorations likes this.
  28. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Fish oil in Rustoleum was the key ingredient when Rustoleum was first brought to market many decades ago.. It provided a penetrating quality to the paint that was the 'secret' to it's success. Whether or not that is still part of their formula I have no idea.

Truckdoctor Andy and blowby like this.
  29. Johnny99

Johnny99

Marine supply house. Typically a bit cheaper if mail ordered.

RAR1947 likes this.
  30. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

John Deere has a really good muffler paint. It's spendy but very durable.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
    WB69 likes this.