Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 302_toploader

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nnunky, Jan 5, 2019.

1. nnunky

nnunky

Hi
    I have a ford 302 waiting to be put in my 39 ford pickup i am going to retain the original rear axle bit i am unsure whst transmission.i was told to use the t5 box but i have the option of a 4speed toploader but unsure where the grear shift will be.i would still like it to come up through the toe board where th original did.any suggestions and help much appreciared also anybody know of a t5 box with a short shaft suitable for a pickup.

Thanks

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

It will be too far back,... but you can put a Jeep shifter on top of the top loader transmissions. Not sure if you can on four speeds, but that would locate your shifter closer to the original hole.

Bones

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you get the shifter from a T176 Jeep top loader 4 speed it will fit onto the Ford 4 speed top loader with minimal work. Minor grinding is all that is needed. I did this in my 1931 A V8 roadster and the shift tower comes up just about where the stock shifter was. I can get you some pics if you need em.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  4. I’ve got a Jeep shifter for both a 3psd and 4spd toploader if you want to go that route. And an old street rodder article on how to do it, and the pattern to grind the case :)

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app