Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Snow and ice

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by OLDSMAN, Jan 2, 2019.

1. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Winter weather sucks!! We had a rain turn to freezing rain and snow a couple of days after Christmas. After retiring the middle of May I have been delivering parts part time for the local car quest store. I had to deliver some paint supplies both Thursday and Friday to Blue Hill, and Friday slipped and fell on the ice. I had a hard time, but made it back to Grand Island then to the ER, found that I broke my pelvis. This messed up my plans to enter the indoor car show here in February, as they say it will be 8 weeks for total healing time. I can't have any pressure on the left leg at all. At least I have Theresa to help me. I don't know what I would do without her!

Bruce Fischer and loudbang like this.
  2. get better!

loudbang likes this.
  3. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

Ice is hell man. Sorry you got hurt. Make sure you treat the ones who love you well.......you never know when you may need them!

loudbang and Deuces like this.
  4. Daddy_O

Daddy_O

Sorry to hear you took a spill, not good. Best wishes for a healthy recovery and get well soon!!

loudbang and Deuces like this.

5. Latigo

Latigo

That ice is a bitch. Broke two ribs last winter. Yak Tracks on your boots is money well spent. Arizona is looking pretty good about now. Take care.

6. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Yes Arizona doesn't sound too bad, but I don't know if I can handle the heat that Arizona has

loudbang likes this.
  7. Gman0046

Gman0046

X2 on the Yak Tacks. The only thing for walking on ice.

loudbang and lothiandon1940 like this.
  8. Hope you can heal quickly Oldsman . Be careful out there.

loudbang likes this.
  9. TWKundrat

TWKundrat

This was my back yard in Tucson yesterday morning. Got even more snow than that this morning but it was too dark for pictures when I left for work.
    IMG_20190101_074726.jpg

Deuces, john worden, Latigo and 2 others like this.
  10. MOJO1963GMC

MOJO1963GMC
    from Abilene,TX

Texas here. It’s freezing rain now. About a half inch of ice built up on everything. Gonna take forever to get home in morning

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

lothiandon1940 and loudbang like this.
  11. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

I think “work” was your “down fall” . Heal up sir

seb fontana and loudbang like this.
  12. I Live in Alaska and have a second home in Reno Nevada . That is where I am moving to, so I do not fall break something later in life . I am getting tired of the winters here after 55 years , ready for a major climate change. Plus car stuff is year round there and the summers are not that bad.
    Vic

loudbang likes this.
  13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This popped up on FB this morning. It is gong down to 21 in Reno tonight for Vics Stuff to ponder. I was checking my wood supply today trying to figure if I had enough for three more months. I bought 4 cords around the first of November but we have burned wood every day for the past two months.
    Phoenix anchorage.jpg

14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

O;dman I feel for you. I slipped on an icy sidewalk about 35 years ago and chipped a bone in my elbow and the chip still moves around at times. Year before last I fell flat on my 70 year old ass at my moms house and hit my head on the ice and all that saved me was that I was wearing a beanie with a nice thick roll of material on it. Still had a concussion and a stiff neck for over a year.

lothiandon1940 and loudbang like this.
  15. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

16. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Thanks for all the thoughts guys. I sure never thought something like this would happen! I'm not looking forward to 8 weeks of inactivity. That sounds like no fun at all!!!

17. I hope you heal up quick!Bruce.

18. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

For your sake, I hope workman's comp insurance in Nebraska is not the nightmare it is in California.

deucemac likes this.
  19. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Thought you were thinking of moving south? We do have ice here at times, just not as much or as often. Good luck with your healing, hope it happens fast.

20. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Reno can get chilly at night even in the spring. San Diego has all the good weather. :)

21. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I hope workmans comp isn't a nightmare. So far it hasn't been. Yes a couple of years ago I had contemplated a move south, however Theresa in my life has changed all of that. I guess I'll be in the ice and snow forever. Normally we get snow but the ice has been terrible this winter. This is the second big ice event. I hope that is done for this winter!!

22. Feel better! I have thought of moving over the last few years. I am visiting my daughter in California right now and it is cold. Leave for Connecticut in the morning. I think it does not matter anymore, the bad weather will find you!

seb fontana likes this.
  23. Murphy32

Murphy32
    from Minnesota

I used to wear golf shoes in the winter when I had a lot of walking to do...now I just avoid it.

24. chargin03

chargin03

Get well and move to Florida.

upspirate likes this.
  25. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Florida is a beautiful state, however hurricanes wouldn't be my cup of tea. Also from what I hear the cost of living is horrific.

26. Gman0046

Gman0046

Hurricanes can be a problem. Cost of living not horrific as there is NO state income tax or personal property tax.

upspirate likes this.
  27. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

That looks like a heavy frost.

28. upspirate

upspirate

It was 78 here today, I put Polyshield on my boat......:):D

29. 34fordjay

34fordjay
    from Mass USA

Oldsman
    Get well soon. It's tough to slip and fall like that on the ice.

30. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Things are getting better not as much pain in the left hip area anyway. Using the walker is getting easier. When Theresa gets home from work I am going to practice walking with crutches!